“Better days”
Review of Corbett Arms Hotel

Corbett Arms Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tywyn
Corbett Arms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tywyn
Reviewed 2 November 2010

To to call it an hotel is a misnomer, the whole structure has deteriorated in the last 5 years, this was once a gem, the present incumbents seem to have ruined what was for the town a premier building, I strongly suggest that the building inspector takes a look, outside is a mess, paint peeling on every window, weeds growing out of the eves, inside is even worse, the windows are filthy, the paintwork is peeling, trees are growing out of the chimneys, seagulls are a constant menace, the once beautiful herb garden and rear garden (If you could call it a garden) trees overgrowing so that no view of the mountains can be seen as this rear garden was a pleasure to sit and admire the distant Cadre Idris, no light coming into what was once a garden to be proud of, if they did one thing ..........bring back that view cut that overgrown jungle down!

Once it was teeming with coaches and many visitors, it appears that hardly that amount of guests come any longer, what a sad loss for a lovely little town both for business and pleasure.

We used to visit Tywyn twice a year, we still will, as now the beach front as been done up it's a smashing place with wonderful blue flag beach, the only dark side unfortunately for the residents of the town is the Corbett, I bet the benefactor is turning in his grave for its present state of repair, I realise that in these hard economic times money is tight, but some-one needs to act sooner before its to late, a beautiful hotel in a lovely peaceful place going to the dogs........................ such a shame.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Altosaxx
There are newer reviews for Corbett Arms Hotel

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Came across these reviews by accident. Recall staying there for 1 night in September 2001. It was the only hotel in area with vacant rooms on a Saturday as there was a golf tournament in Aberdovey. We arrived at 5.30pm and there was no food available. The bar service was slow and the tables hadn't been cleaned properly and our glasses literally stuck to them. I recall the room was shabby and had a cot that no decent parent would have put their baby in. Next morning at 0750 cleaner barged in without knocking at a VERY inconvenient moment started cleaning the bathroom. Reception then mixed up our credit card with another guests causing us the inconvenience of having to cancel it for security reasons. Sadly my husband passed away 4 weeks later but as there was insurance on the card he never knew we actually had a "freebie". Thank you reviewers for giving me the best laugh in ages though it is now different owners and I am sorry your holidays/breaks were spoilt

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
12  Thank hysterical26
Reviewed 21 November 2009

The worst & Dirtiest Hotel that I have ever stayed in!!!
Thank goodness I only had one night here.

Staff are unhelpful and very rude and so untidy. On arrival they demanded I pay, I could not pay by card as the manager demanded cash, on giving him the cash he then proceeded to staple the bank notes i gave him to a confirmation letter! How bizarre?

Cold Rooms as central heating did not work - I don't think the room I stayed in had been occupied for many months, even years! as you could write your name in the dust on the furniture.

Had a drink in the bar in the evening and the glasses were to say the least, disgustingly dirty that I had to demand a clean glass.

Had two minutes of hot water the following morning and that was it! Manager served breakfast in tatty old clothes and to be honest I did not want to eat the breakfast as it just looked horrid.
I should have asked to see the kitchen but i don't think i really wanted to know as if it was like the rest of the place it probably wouldn't even pass a basic Hygiene certificate.

I know people will think this is all an exaggeration but it all happened!!!! I agree with the other reviews on here that it is just a terrible place!

The owners obviously do not care what guests seem to think of the hotel.

Attitude is so bad and they are quite argumentative with guests.

Please I advise you not to stay in this awful place!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
11  Thank Trips709
Reviewed 6 November 2009

Having just read the recent reviews, it seems appropriate to report on my stay in September 2006. I was reluctant to comment publicly before. The room was overpriced & dirty (I'm sure the sheets hadn't been changed since the last guest left), & the owners needed a good wash too. On my last night, after complaining about being locked out for the second time in 3 days (returning just before midnight to find my key didn't work as the doors were bolted!) a gang of 6 people (owners & their drunk friends) came to my room at 1am to eject me for daring to complain.

Despite calling the police, I was assaulted by the owners who insisted on me paying cash as apparently the card machine was "temporarily" out of order. When the police finally arrived & I got my bags back, I found that my goods had been tampered with and severely damaged. I was limping over for a week afterwards due to my leg injury caused by the assault.

During my illegal incarceration by the owners, they stressed to me that they were rich and had no need of the income from the hotel. This might explain (though not excuse) their shockingly bad attitude, assuming it's true.

DO NOT STAY HERE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! You'd be better off sleeping on the beach - it's cleaner & safer.

And by the way, during my stay, the fire escape was 50% blocked by old furniture dumped in the way - doesn't anybody in Tywyn inspect hotels for fire safety?

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled solo
20  Thank assaultedguest
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Watch an episode of Fawlty Towers and then watch a Freddy Krueger film. Now merge the 2 together and voila, you're in the Corbett Arms Hotel! No wonder we were the only people there in a 43 room hotel on a Friday in August. Goddamn, wish I'd read the reviews!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
18  Thank LevelHeadedDude
Reviewed 24 July 2009

My partner 2 young children and myself travelled to tywyn to see family and was unfortunate to stay in this hotel. First of all we had to pay cash because "apparently card machine was not working" then their was no evening meals so had to get a takeaway which we were allowed to eat there but were given plastic cutlery and plates. owners seemed like they had drunk the bar dry to the point where my partner had to go to the bar on several occasions in the middle of the night to ask them and their friends to keep the noise down. Hotel in general was very dated and as my partner many years previous had worked at the hotel found the whole stay very upsetting to see a once marvellous hotel which used to be known for it's service and quality now being run by a pair of monkeys.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
16  Thank lickylou
Reviewed 14 April 2009

on a easter break in tywyn which we adore we dropped in the corbett for a drink. oh my goodness never again bar man looked like he could do with a good wash and shave. his wife well we just wont go there she tells anyone whom will listen her problems, goodness help any one who stays there.it is in need desparate need of a good update and good clean. the way the country is and buisness now you would put 100% in tryin to bring and keep cusromers the people who run this establishment need to have a good look around.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
13  Thank mydav
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tywyn
Penhelig Arms
#1 of 1 in Penrhyndeudraeth
Ty'r Graig Castle
Ty'r Graig Castle
#1 of 4 in Barmouth

Been to Corbett Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!