“Steeped in history- A fab night”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanvihangel Crucorney
Skirrid Mountain Inn
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

I went here with my sister in-law, her friends from work and several members of the friends' family.

We booked the three rooms at the pub and were staying just one night. We had a medium and his assistant with us.

The owner, Geoff was so welcoming when we arrived. Some of the group had their evening meal there, I was a little jealous, since I had eaten before arriving but the food looked fabulous.

The aim of the night was a paranormal investigation since the inn has the reputation of being the most haunted pub in Wales. I am a paranormal sceptic but not only have I always wanted to visit this place but I thought it would just be a fun, different night.

We took sleeping bags with us since there are only three double beds and there were 14 of us in total. The two rooms are very large the third is smaller and quaint. The decor is a little outdated but it adds to the charm of the inn.

After the locals left, we had full run of the place. It was fun, although I wouldn't say I felt anything during the evening and I actually found the atmosphere very calming. I hadn't met most of the group before but everyone got on well and it was just nice to be trusted with full run of the place.

The strangest thing to happen during the night was the sound of a woman saying "hello" three times from the bar area. We all run down convinced that someone had broken in, but there was no one there. I was quick to try to explain this, could have been one of us, maybe it was upstairs and just sounded like it had come from the bar downstairs?!

We soon forgot about it and the night carried on.

As for the inn itself, it's decor, history and just sense of history does make you feel like you were sitting in a place steeped in history. Anyone interested in historic locations should pay it a visit whether or not their believe in ghosts. I took my camera and couldn't help but keep snapping away, just to try and capture the atmosphere of the place.

We finally fell asleep at about 5am. We woke to the smell of cooking.

Geoff had made bacon sandwiches for us all, although I'm vegetarian and was quite happy just to have my morning tea, he made me lots of toast for me instead.

He was the most welcoming host I've ever had at any hotel, he was friendy and wanted to make sure that our stay went well and that we were happy.

I didn't believe for one second that the place was haunted but I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there and was already talking about a return visit with my sister-in-law on the return home.

However, while looking through my photos of the night, what appeared to be either one or two figures with their arms outstretched appears in one of the photos. The photo was taken just after we heard the "hello" coming from the bar. This may be coincidence and whether or not my photo is paranormal, it has made me more intrigued than ever about the place and even more excited about a return visit!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Marmitelover88

Reviewed 22 September 2013

Absolutely amazing had a creepy stay here the feel if the place is brilliant food well iv never had better it was superb the staff and hospitality were exceptional just booked again for next week cannot wait

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 5 September 2013

In June (2013) stayed at Pen Y Dre Farm camp site with members of a walking group. About 400 metres away, "Skirrid Inn".

After pitching tents made our way to a local pub, "Skirrid Inn"

We had a nice meal and enjoyed real ales. Staff were helpful & friendly - A1!!!

The Inn has history, being a local court and also to execute by hanging. By the stairs looking up a noose still remains.

Beautiful scenery & walks.

Philip Nevin

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Philip N
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Fabulous place, just moved to the area and have found a real gem on our doorstep! Lovely food, great atmosphere, staff really friendly and great service. The lovely bar lady even gave us the keys to take a peek at the rooms and the hangman's noose in the stairwell.... The rooms were wicked, all the hairs stood up on the back of my neck....Fabulous spooky place....Now our 'local' :) Can't wait to take friends and family!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank J4KXU
Reviewed 26 August 2013

You can usually tell a cracking pub by the quality of it's real ale, if that's spot on then they rest is likely to deliver a great experience.

Having popped in to see if we could get a table for food we quickly found ourselves in a happy and warm welcoming pub.

Be warned, it's not 5* gastro grub from a packet and it's not 5* OCD organised where the staff spent more time on check lists than serving customers either.

It is however 11* home cooked food and 11* welcoming, friendly and accomodating.

The beer was amazing some of the best kept I've ever had, the food was second to none, I had a simply delightful welsh beef curry with rice which was home cooked to perfection.

The room was amazing to say the least, the bed was wonderfully comfortable and the room spotless and spacious...it could have taking another 5 four poster beds and you'd still be able to park a tank in there.

Great landlords who run great pubs are hard to find, this is an exceptional example.

Room Tip: Booking in advance to avoid disappointment is a must.