“not good”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Magor
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“not good”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

O.k so apart from the bed being rock solid and the pull out bed injuring my child (a piece of metal protruding from the end caught his knee and he was in pain for ages) I feel that some senior management should get down to Wales and sort the place out. For a start, the menu on reception for 24/7 snacks (which includes pizza and nachos) finishes at 10 pm sharp Uh!( 24/7?) we were told on the Friday night that 10 minutes later and we would have missed out. We were informed by the manageress that we could order a take away and eat in the dining area or reception after 10 pm this we decided to do on the Saturday night after witnessing two groups of people doing exactly that, but Oh no! the Saturday crew were having none of it they didn't believe us! even though there was nothing left on the menu almost everything was out of stock apparently not ordered on the Friday that being the case we ordered pizza from a local take away and decided that we were going to scoff the lot in the reception as we had just witnessed a couple of women take an outside Indian meal to the dining area with the managers permission! talk about double standards!!! We did try to eat at the hotel but the food was terrible and my wife got a refund on a horrible burnt spud and pee looking gravy meal, yes it looked like pee! anyhow as the place was busy and the staff pushed (weekend) the next morning we could see what the problem was, the manager was washing up and sorting the swill (what a come down) all of the staff seem to have multiple jobs and impossibly long hours.To be fair the reception staff held it together and couldn't be more helpful even though they knew we were telling the truth they were overruled by the manager, fair play to them. I won't stay there again and neither will my friends whom found a pair of socks down the side of the bed after the cleaners had been, but that is another review.

1 Thank woz R R
roger_goldsworthy, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Newport East, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
This Hotel does not respond to reviews that include inaccuracies and derogatory comments aimed at our team members.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
swansea
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellent value for money ,hotel easy to find convenient for the m4 corridoor ,quiet hotel no sound from traffic which was great. Stayed on the first floor of 4. Bed was nice and firm but comfortable.good gymnasium decent filling breakfast.Staff were attentive and very friendly,WILL DEFINATELY STAY AGAIN

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am very glad your stay was an enjoyable one.
We will have been open just over 3 years and I am pleased it is still looking like new as we take great care in the upkeep and maintenance of the Hotel.
We work hard every day to make the building spotless, and work closely with our team to ensure they give great service and offer the relaxed friendly environment we wish to create
Please come and see us again soon
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights - unexpected trip to visit relative in Newport hospital. The hotel is easy to find and very convenient for the M4 but you don't hear the traffic. Good views from the 4th floor. I found the bed to be firmer than I would like, but that's probably personal taste. Good range of toiletries, spotlessly clean shower/room (hairdryer inside the wardrobe). My only complaint was the air conditioning seemed to have a mind of its own in my room. A very helpful member of staff came with me to show me how it was supposed to be (I had been doing it right all along), but the control panel constantly shifted back to the mid 20 Deg C range (I prefer a cooler room). This was mentioned on departure and I have also received an apology email from the Manager who said the unit is probably faulty and will be changed. Helpful staff and good choice of breakfast - a notch above Travelodge for sure, but I think Premier Inn still have more comfortable beds.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have views over the countryside, odd numbered rooms face southwards to the Brist...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Many thanks for taking the time to give us your views ,
We try very hard to make this Hotel a fantastic place to stay, and helpful feedback like this is very useful.
I am pleased to say, we have now introduced free Wi-Fi throughout the Hotel as another benefit to our guests.
Please come and see us again soon.

manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and have no complaints really, the internet speed was excellent, breakfast was great and a reasonable gym. Aah, we weren't pleased with the menu options in the restaurant, preferred MacDonald across the road. Location wise, Cardiff city center is around 20 mins drive, however we didn't find anything interesting in the surrounding area. Overall experience, I would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Amit D
Many thanks for taking the time to give us your views,
All the comments I receive are discussed with the whole team as we strive to learn from every response in order to continually improve our service and facilities.
In addition to all the facilities we offer at the Hampton Hotel we are opening a new restaurant on site , which will up and running this summer.
We very much value the business we received from you .
Thank you for coming to stay with us please come and see us again soon.
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Magor is a little out of the way, and this hotel is just off the M4 at 23a, and is found around a half built business park with adequate parking spaces. If you have a lot of luggage, there are a couple of porter trollies and the hotel from the outside looks good. Check in was fine. However, if you have ever been to a Hampton hotel in the US or Canada, you might expect some cookies, but there are none here. The suggestion was made. Our family room was on the ground floor on the other side of the bar/lounge and breakfast serving area, and the way through was a little tight or space. With a good door leading to the corridor, it did mean that general noise was minimal excepting those in the corridor itself. The hotel serves snacks but availability is not always certain. Other nearby restaurants are suggested near reception, but you do have to travel to get to them. Facilities are otherwise limited to the lounge area and free wi-fi and you have to travel for any other purpose. The room itself was clean and purposeful. It had a shower and a freeview television but it did lack a hairdryer it seemed. My wife found the bed to be a little hard but I found it alright, and there was good space for us with the children sleeping in the sofa bed. Good selection of items for breakfast and when you take that into context this is a good budget hotel. My marking down relates to the items I have noted here which would have moved it up to four or even five star rating, so I am probably being a little over-critical. However, as a stop-over hotel where what you need is a decent bed and breakfast, do not overlook this hotel for its convenience to the M4.

1 Thank Coastal_Plainer
roger_goldsworthy, General Manager at Hampton by Hilton Newport East, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you very much for your review.
Enormous effort has gone into creating this new UK brand, with the aim to deliver the best Hotel experience within the focused service sector.
The key to delivering this ambition is not only to build high quality Hotels with top of the range fixtures and fittings, but to ensure the quality of the service and welcome match this aim.
Whenever we fail to deliver the high level of standards and service we aim to provide we take these comments very seriously and review what we need to do to rectify these failings.
When this is recognised with comments such as this my whole team are challenged to try even harder to make every stay for our guests a great experience.
Staffordshire
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The Hotel is easy to find being adjacent to the M5 Motorway and whilst the junction is a little complex, access is very good. It's a little way out for travelling by any means other than car and has a large free car park. It looks very new and I assume purpose built for the Hilton Group. Location is good for Celtic Manor but not as close as the other Hilton Hotel in Newport. It gives the impression of being mainly for the golfers and the riding fraternity (Chepstow Racecourse and David Broome Centre) none of which were my reasons for choosing this Hotel. We used it for visiting the Roman remains at Caerleon and Caerwent.
The room was a little smaller than I am used to with this brand and there was no option of upgrading. It was clean and the bed comfortable but the pillows sank to nothing and whilst shower lovers will love the walk-in shower there was no bath option.
The staff were as always very good and helpful, my main grievances on this Hotel come from the bar area and the restaurant. The bar and coffee serving area was small and adjacent to the entrance which had a tendency to cause draughts. Breakfast was very poor in contrast to what I normally expect at Hampton/Hilton Hotels. On both days we were there they ran out of clean cutlery on one occasion with a member of staff stood next to the empty holders. I realise the Hotel was busy and had extended the times for breakfast because the space was inadequate to cope with the number of rooms in the Hotel, which made me wonder why it had not been built bigger in the first place. The range was abysmal compared to what I have received at other Hotels in the chain, eggs only came in boiled (on request) or scrambled. No grilled tomatoes, porridge and numerous other choices normally presented. It was obviously heavily reduced because of the lack of space to cook and serve.
In conclusion the Hotel suffers from a very poor design as it is not capable of coping with the potential number of guests it can accommodate

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive comments.
We are very proud of our hotel and the service we always endeavour to deliver.
It is true the Hampton brand does not offer formal dining facilities, but we always try to offer a range of dishes for customers who are not looking for the full restaurant experience, and we do offer advice and recommend a range of fantastic restaurants in the nearby area.
But we have also taken note of our customers who do wish to see more choice, so we have launched a new menu with a far greater range of dishes, and additional ‘theme’ nights.
The complimentory breakfast is always being reviewed , and I will be following up on your comments
We hope to you again soon
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was looking for a cheap overnight stay en route to a competition - probably a Travelodge or similar. This hotel offered a great value for money deal and I was expecting a similar standard but was amazed at the reality! Really convenient location close to M4 but no traffic noise made it easy to find. Excellent communication prior to arrival - I knew we were going to be later than I had initially indicated and didn't want them to give the room away (that has happened in Travelodge). Ample, clean and well appointed room. Friendly and welcoming staff. Generous breakfast included in price. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: 4th floor rooms have great views
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your kind words.
When this is recognised with comments such as this my whole team are encouraged to try even harder to make every stay for our guests a great experience.
Roger Goldsworthy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magor
St. Pierre Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Holiday Inn Express Newport
Premier Inn Newport Wales (M4, J24) Hotel
Ramada Resort Cwrt Bleddyn Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Newport
Holiday Inn Newport
#8 of 18 in Newport
The Parkway Hotel & Spa

Been to Hampton by Hilton Newport East? Share your experiences!