We were in a party of seven who come up from Cornwall as our daughter and our friends daughter were competing at the David Broom Center. We arrived on fri. 25th and left sun 27th and had three rooms booked. After having a shower we went to the bar and had a meal which was average with a very limited choice of dishes. After spending the evening there we noticed people were having food delivered and eating at the tables in the restaurant, even having plates given to them, there was a party of workmen who had pizzas and a party of about 6 who had an indian brought. We inquired if we could do this on the saturday night and were told "yes after 10pm" as we would be later back after competing. On the saturday we went to the bar at about 9 in the evening, had a drink and asked about the places that did takeaway food to be delivered, we were given a list of places with the phone numbers but were told we would have to eat in our rooms which was a complete contradiction to the previous night. After trying to explain that the previous evenings manager and staff had said it was o.k.we were more or less called liars!!!!! We then tried to order food from the bar, MOST things were unavailable and we were eventually told they had not had a delivery on the friday.This they would have known earlier. There were no pizzas, chicken for the burgers no large yorkshire puddings or fillings. Our friends wife was starving so she asked what they actually had and ended up with a cumberland sausage with 2 very small yorkshire puddings, black "roast" potato brown cauliflower some other kind of mashed veg and gravy that was so thin and insipid it looked like dishwater, she complained and the manager came over and gave her the money back and saying sorry it wasn't up to standard, it was actually impossible to eat. We then ordered pizzas to be delivered as by now we were all hungry, while we waited for them to come two ladies had an indian delivered and sat in the restaurant to eat it on plates that had been given to them by the STAFF,if you read previous reviews you will see other people have had takeaways in the bar area, this seems to be double standards!!!! We went to our room just after finishing our pizzas and my wife closed the curtains and noticed something on the floor behind the sofa bed (which we didn't use) this was a pair of socks which must have been there for the 2 days we had stayed there.The housekeeper said he could not understand it as the rooms were cleaned every day and everything was pulled out as a matter of course, not checked enough! The beds were also some of the hardest we have ever had the misfortune to try and sleep on and the central heating seemed to have a mind of its own , fluctuating between 19 and 25.9degrees. Overall the stay was nowhere what we expected from a chain with your name behind it. The friday staff were pleasant and helpful and the saturday staff seemed to have one rule for some and not others and complete jobsworths. I have been in the catering trade for over 50 years and having our own restaurant for 30 years (which had five stars on tripadvisor) and i would never send out anything from the kitchen we would not eat ourselves and i said to your chef he must have been embarrassed to send the food out of the kitchen. Overall better staff training,
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hampton by Hilton Newport/East is proud to be the first newly built brand hotel providing the perfect location for a visit to South Wales close to Junction 23a of the M4 [Opened September 2010]. Start the day off while enjoying a relaxing hot & cold breakfast in our dining area or in our work zone with our free Wi-Fi or even back to your room for a high speed internet connection. With a focus on unfussy service & great facilities this contemporary hotel is only a 25 minute drive to Cardiff. With an enviable location close to the M4, Newport, Bristol & Cardiff the Hampton by Hilton Newport East hotel puts you near it all. We’re close to Cardiff City with Cardiff Castle, Millennium Stadium & Cardiff also Bristol Hippodrome. Newport train station is 8 miles away; Bristol airport and Cardiff airport are only 34 miles & 26 miles respectively. Whether you’re travelling for business or pleasure the Hampton by Hilton Newport East hotel puts South Wales and Southwest England at your doorstep. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hilton EMEA, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hampton by Hilton Newport East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hampton By Hilton Newport East Hotel Magor
- Hampton By Hilton Newport East Magor, Wales