“Lovely meal”
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Magor
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Bar, European, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stopped for an evening meal as I was staying locally on business.

Really pleased I did. A great welcome and some very very nice food. A great fond close to the motorway. I will be making a detour again soon!

Visited April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Love love love this restaurant.”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

We usually eat here at least a couple of times a month. Food is always of an exceptionally high standard, seasonal, and beautifully presented. We always go for lunch and sit in the bar area as it is more cosy than the restaurant area. The service can be a little hit and miss, often the young serving staff don' t have much knowledge about the food but they are always happy to find out and are always pleasant and helpful. Recently I took my sister here for a birthday lunch which was excellent in every way. Her dessert was presented with a candle and a Happy Birthday message on the plate in chocolate. The owner had overheard it was her birthday and surprised us ! I really find it surprising that the restaurant is not always busy as you would have to travel a significant distance to find a restaurant better than this. We travel extensively and have eaten all over the world and still are delighted to have such a gem on our door step!

• Visited April 2014
“Excellent Food but Appauling Service”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I would not recomend this restaurant for a special occasion. I have been here many times as I live in Magor and there are limited options for eating out in the village. Each visit has been consistent in delivering delicious, wholesome, imaginative, and satisfying meals but the overall experiences have been tainted by poor to sometimes outrageous customer service.

The menu often consists of hearty home cooked classics with a modern twist and is presented beautifully. I have tried various options and never been disappointed with the variety, taste or portion size. Prices are fair.

Unfortunately, the menus are often not frequently updated and this is usually where the service begins to go wrong as staff are not aware of what is missing from the menu. Being prepared for this on my last visit, I asked the member of staff taking our drinks order whether all items on the menu were available, to which he responded "I assume so". 20 minutes after ordering our starters and main courses, we were then told that 2 items weren't available that evening. There was as usual, no apology and when reminded of me asking about items available, he replied "I am not a waiter, just bar staff." This happened again when ordering the desserts. Unfortunately this is a typical response from the staff here. Nobody seems to want to put in any effort to make your experience pleasurable. Waiting times are long, drinks orders forgotten and any mistakes made are shrugged off and at worst, you are made to feel a nuisance for complaining. It is often easier to go the bar to get your own drinks.

As this restaurant is local and provides exceptionally tasty food, I am extremely disappointed that I cannot guarantee having a pleasurable evening there. I am also saddened that I have been encouraged by other regular customers to write a review on here instead of being able to give constructive criticism to the management, as historically, such efforts made by myself and other locals have been unfruitful to say the least. Management are very good at presenting as “the perfect hostess” when everything is going well but the service deteriorates when problems arise. The Manageress often comes across as being very rude, dismissive, patronising and I believe that it is this attitude that transcends through the team and creates the general feeling that they are unconcerned with how much you enjoy your visit here.

If only the staff could receive some basic training on how to cope with mistakes, for example the ability to deliver a genuine apology, then this restaurant would be outstanding. Mistakes do happen and if there is empathy and remorse demonstrated, they don’t have to ruin the evening. It is rudeness that ruins the evening. Having experienced the sharp tongue of the manageress, it is easy to see how young people working in their first part time jobs are lead to presenting as lacking initiative, good manners, courtesy and enthusiasm.

3 Thank Hc1979
Magor, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Restaurant Quality Food & Service @ Pub Prices”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The lion provides some of the best quality pub food that we have ever sampled. A warm welcome and prompt service from the barman. Our Waitress Hannah was polite, efficient with a great sense of humour. We only had time for one course, but will certainly return again to sample the full menu. The quality and presentation were of the highest standard with superb (thrice cooked) chips and perfectly cooked fish. Can't wait to return to try some of the other menu selections.

1 Thank David V
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Safe good quality food”
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We visited The Golden Lion recently for food and on the whole, we were pleased with what we had. The puddings were delicious, as was my main, although my partner's pasta was disappointing. The atmosphere is a little strange, the pub is divided into a bar, restaurant and a sports bar. We were very grateful to be allowed to bring our dog in whilst we ate. Unfortunately, due to lack lustre service (uninterested young men) and the same menu later in the week (even the specials board), we decided not to eat here again. The service on our first visit was much better with some friendly waitresses and an attentive manager.