“Only one complaint.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Magor
Price range: US$6 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Gastropub, Bar, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Drinks, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oswestry, United Kingdom
“Only one complaint.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

And that is a desert I once had here. I asked for a crème brûlée which I believed would be vanilla and I ended up with Lavender and Rose water. Later on I was made aware there had been a menu change and being as I just said crème brûlée I received the later instead of the vanilla. So somewhat blame on both parts (me for being vague and them not telling about the menu change) but apart from that top notch

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Newport, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame about staff.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

As a local, I have visited The Lion for years. The food is fantastic and the wine list is good. However, on 2 occasions now either myself or a member of our party have been phoned in the middle of the night!! Surely this is unacceptable? First time was when the card machines were down so we gave card details and left, only to be phoned at midnight to ask for my postcode ( was this even needed to process a payment - I think not). Second time, we were only given our food bill and the drinks were on a separate tab for some reason. This resulted in another phone call to the person who had booked the table...again around midnight!! Moral of the story, When you book, don't let them have your phone number!!

Visited April 2014
1 Thank H J
Caldicot
“Pretentious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Went for Mother's Day. Kept waiting for 45 mins before we could order. Order was wrong when it came (they tried to blame us) and then they got the bill wrong. Food was ordinary but dressed up as something special. Very disappointing. This pub thinks it's more than a pub but it's not. Grow up and stand up for for the community. Such a shame. Avoid this place...unless you're pretentious or like pretension.

• Visited March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Patch39
Newport, United Kingdom
“Will be going back for seconds!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

Went here on a rare child free night, and wasn't disappointed. Really good menu- I struggled to choose what I wanted. Opted for the specials in the end and they were fab. Wish we hadn't ordered starters though as the portions were huge! Service was good, very friendly staff. Next time, we'll be going for mains and dessert!

• Visited April 2014
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stopped for an evening meal as I was staying locally on business.

Really pleased I did. A great welcome and some very very nice food. A great fond close to the motorway. I will be making a detour again soon!

Visited April 2014