“Great food and service, wonderful pub atmosphere !”
Review of The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Golden Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 13 Restaurants in Magor
Price range: US$7 - US$33
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2015

I've eaten at the Golden Lion on 4 different visits in the past 6 months while in Wales on business. The staff , especially Lucy and Chelsea , are very friendly and helpful with menu suggestions, and their service is great. The menu has a lot of variety for a pub and all of their food is cooked to order, so nothing is frozen, it's all fresh. I strongly recommend this pub !

Reviewed 9 June 2015

Went for lunch today in the Golden Lion; not knowing it had changed hands. I ordered a sandwich which came with coleslaw and crisps. My friend had a wrap with beef and we ordered chips on the side. My sandwich should have been brie and bacon with cranberry, but was told it was rung up as a BLT I said that was fine, but when it arrived firstly it was a large plate of food, but secondly it was very poor indeed. The lettuce was dirty, the bacon was fatty and flabby and the coleslaw looked like it had sat on the plate for a good hour or so. The only saving grace was my friend enjoyed her wrap and the chips were good. I was disappointed as I only really got to eat a few chips, and I am not a fussy eater generally. We didn't get asked if the food was okay, and not wanting to embarrass my friend I didn't say anything. The service was great, very enthusiastic, although it was fairly empty at that point. Won't visit again.

Reviewed 2 June 2015

A local village pub where you can be assured of a warm and friendly welcome by all the staff. The Sunday lunches are worth every penny and taste delicious. We recently went back for more and sampled lunch......just as tasty as the previous experience. Andrea was very helpful with recommendations and even though not in the restaurant was constantly attentive with both bar and food orders. My partner had a ham and tomato sandwich but I have to recommend the lasagne which is fantastic! I'm from London and this is a pub that can rival any there. To top all this you get the warmest of welcomes from Louise the landlord.

Reviewed 1 June 2015

Our reservation was for 2 p.m. for Sunday lunch so we arrived at about 12:30 for a couple of liverners. The dining area was empty and stayed that way. A couple without a free education were invited to comeback latter. The arrival of some very small pirates accompanied by similarly bedecked minders indicated that high seas activity was afoot in the newly refurbished first floor function room. But it seemed that the chef could not cope with doing a pork joint and few salads for the grown up pirates plus a few fish fingers for the crew as well as attend to the Sunday diners. Everything stopped. The manager did his best without saying that the chefs were precious. As a consequence our meal arrived at 14:30.
Be aware that Sunday lunch is a two or three course event without the option for only one and at £10.95 not the cheapest about particularly if one of your number has beef without the beef and gets charged full price!

Reviewed 31 May 2015

Good food, good beer, friendly staff. I thought it was an excellent pub experience with a few menu items given considerably more care than just an average village pub.