“Great value country hotel.”

The Black Lion Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lampeter
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Great value country hotel.”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

Have stayed at 'The Lion' a few times now, first time decided to stay here despite the reviews as it's the only hotel in town. As always I've arrived to find the staff friendly the room and bed clean and tidy. Breakfast is always good. At £50 including breakfast, for two, I'm not expecting the Ritz. And I'm certainly getting all I pay for. Great as ever.

• Stayed January 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Reviewed 31 December 2012

Ok so I came into this expecting bad things, after reading reviews, but I have to say I was relieved!

Staff were very busy, but when I found one he quickly took me through the payment, I'm on crutches, so he offered me a room swap for a single/twin. I decided against it and was put in 209.

Pub itself is lovely, old, traditional, and the food although I've not had any smelt amazing.

The room, is good. It has everything I could want, there was the dreaded funny smell in the toilet, but that's due to it not being very well ventilated. 10 minutes with the bathroom door open and the room window and hey presto!

Room itself isn't exactly modern, but we're not in a very modern town, or building. It has everything I need, wifi, a phone, clean sheets, towels, and room.

In the end, I paid £51.85 for a room, in a pub, on New Year's Eve, with 2 breakfasts, what more should I really want?!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank CiaranMckeown
Kent
Reviewed 6 December 2012

We arrived really late and the bar staff were very welcoming and helpful. Room as expected, a big room, could do with a deep clean, and re decoration, but what do you expect for £39 a night. The first morning the housekeeping staff nearly walked in. As we hadn't left the room by 9:30 the room was never made up that day. the next day we didn't know what time to check out so thought 11:30 on a Sunday seamed reasonable. A knock on the door at 11:00 and we were confronted by the Housekeeper, hand on hip, "You should have checked out". We tried to explain that there was no guidence when she barged into the room to check. We told her to leave us alone! She was not amused, clearly fed up with having a hotel full and having to work a bit harder, she needs sacking. Appart from that we recommend it if you want a budget hotel with no frills, we would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Traveladdict254
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed 11 November 2012

This is not on the road of every visitor and I liked it. It has genuine feeling. I like these pub hotels from time to time and this one was good choice. The staff was helpful, food was good in the pub, rooms was clean with proper shower, there was a parking place at the back of the hotel. It was just perfect stop on the roadtrip and very pleasant suprise. Everything is on order. Price was reasonable

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
New Plymouth
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed one night at this hotel as we were visiting relatives in the local area. It was just great! As previously said it is a little tired but excellent value for money, beautiful old building and the staff could not have been more helpful and nice. The food was great and the rooms were wonderfully clean. We are used to 100 years old as being old certainly not 600 years! It was an amazing evening for us all. It was right in the centre of town and easy to find, even when we got lost on a morning walk!! Wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a room facing the beer garden at the back as the traffic does start quite early. Doe...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Sussex
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Look beyond the tired paint work and creaking floors (after all this is an old building) and the Black Lion provides a comfortable and inexpensive hotel. the rooms could do with some investment, but at the price charged it is difficult to see where this will come from. The staff were excellent, very helpful and the food was plentiful and good quality. The 'very good' rating reflects the £39 a night paid, although be warned breakfast is extra (but at £6.95 for full English it is good value).

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
South Wales
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed here with 14 other cyclists on Saturday September 15th. Excellent value for money right in the middle of the town. We all ate there in the evening and the food, service and staff were excellent. Everything arrived exactly how we ordered it and at the same time. Faultless.

Mike

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lampeter
The Falcondale Hotel
#6 of 13 in Aberystwyth
Emlyn Hotel
Emlyn Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newcastle Emlyn

Been to The Black Lion Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!