“First Impression set the standard”

and 1 more site!
The Black Lion Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lampeter
Tredegar, United Kingdom
“First Impression set the standard”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My heart sank when we saw the back of the hotel from the car park and I am sorry to say it didnt improve when we went in. The hotel bar is very dingy and very dark even on a sunny day. It hasnt seen a coat of paint for many years, the ceiling still showing the nicotine evidence from years back. We were greeted by a very friendly manager. On checking in, there were other staff present, who were bickering over the bar, not a good start. When the bar is closed you have to use the back entrance of the hotel from the car park. There are a some very step steps up to the door. First imporession of the upstairs wasnt good. There is an old reception desk in the foyer with several bags of dirty laundry stacked behind it. There are no signs to say which door is which. We just opened doors and eventually found our room. My heart is so far on the ground there is no where else for it to go. One plus, the room was a good size for a family room. The room was very hot, despite no heating on. The windows were very badly rotted. The bathroom was very old and dated. The taps had no colour left on them and constantly dripped, the bath had no top coating. The tiles and shower screen were black with mold and the skirting had more dust than the road. I did not make you feel very clean.

The bedding was clean. The dressing table mirror was broken and dangerous and the one wall light damaged. The kettle provided was also dirty. There were nasty subsistence cracks in the walls.

The night noise outside was absolutely horrendous. Our room was at the front opposite the town clock which struck every fifteen minutes and on the hour. Its safe to say i experienced every hour from 1.00 am to 7.00 am. the noise of the street was also very bad. The window couldnt be shut properly due to it being broke and because of the heat.

Breakfast. We were told it was 7. 30 - 9.30 it was 8.30 - 10.00 am. There was only one poor chef on serving over 12 people. The coffee ran out and the orange juice too. We had a very long wait for breakfast. The poor chef was very apologetic, He was cooking, plating and serving all of use. He didnt say that we could see it. i felt very sorry for him. The head chef came in at 9.00 after the rush!!! The breakfat was good when it arrived. I dont think it was worth the full cost and would have been very disappointed if it wasn't inlcuded in the cost. He was very pleasant and apologised several times for the delay. It was beyond his control.

We did have an evening meal in the "restaurant" although it was a sectioned area of the pub, and although a tad pricey for burgers, it was hot and freshly cooked and good.

It was a very disappointed stay all round. Its a shame the village is a very pretty little tone, sadly wont be visiting again. Brains own the chain, they need to do some serious renovations. Definatley wont be staying again. There were other couples complaining also about the state fo teh rooms.

Room Tip: Dont go there.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Well this hotel is a hidden gem, It really does need a lot of TLC, It's a little old and jaded lots of cracks in the walls. The TV and shower both didn't work very well. However, I had a warm welcome, and they have good food served all day. Lampeter is a small Beautiful town with not many hotels, I would love to see this one restored to it's former glory. I would definatlely stay here again. I love the older hotel buildings with character. this is a Brains pub with rooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I was pleasantly greeted on arrival and was shown to my room which I was warned was up lots of stairs and was like a maze. The room was clean and comfortable - it would have been nice if there was some shampoo in the bathroom. I was warned that the restaurant was closing early and the bar shortly afterwards as they weren't expecting many people in. I ordered sandwiches for dinner as I'd had a roast dinner for lunch, and was at first told they didn't do sandwiches after 6pm, but they could do if I wanted. They did, and they were very good. Breakfast was also excellent the next morning, except there was only instant coffee and no teaspoons - I had to put my teabag in my cereal bowl as there was no saucer. I also returned to my room after breakfast to find I had been locked out of it - the staff were however helpful and apologetic regarding this.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Toowoon Bay, Australia
Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

The website for Fflad-y- Brenin on TripAdvisor stated this was close, only 10 miles!! Unfortunately I didn't check a map, nearly 2 hours travelling and 50 miles later, we arrived at a grotty unwelcoming hotel. We fled to the hotel across the road for an edible meal, having seen what was served at the Black Lion. Given the price, we did not have high expectations, but the staff were unhelpful, the bathroom grotty, the shower inoperable and mouldy, the room stuffy (we were offered another room, but were too tired after our epic journey to move) and breakfast a disaster. Mixed grill was a sausage boiled in lard served with cold tomatoes, defrosted mushrooms dry fried. There was no sugar provided until requested, and the milk and juice were served in plastic and cardboard containers. I would certainly NOT recommend this hotel, and the locals agreed with our assessment.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SandyTerrigal

Travellers are raving about these Lampeter hotels

Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

As only one of two hotels in Lampeter. If using for overnight stop for events at the university there is not much choice. My room had a hole in the wall. The quilt had holes in the cover was ripped. The plug hole in the sink had to be cleaned to let the water clear away.
Check out time was 10am but housekeeping knock at 9.30 saying they wanted us out as soonas possible
As they had the rooms to do.

On a plus point the meals in the restaurant could not be faulted

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Justthemun
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Stayed here for graduation. The room had massive black damp patches on the wall. You could actually smell the damp in the air. The bathroom was dirty and the towel even had a lipstick mark on one of the towels. The room was incredibly cold despite the time of year. The whole room was thoroughly unpleasant is every way. It was incredibly overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Justthegirl87
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2013

On the 23rd of December 2012, My Partner and I booked into the Black Lion Hotel in Lampeter. As It was after 8pm we checked and were informed that the hotel wasn’t doing breakfast the next morning, due to Christmas being so close, I asked what that had to do with it and was told that the chef wanted time off, we asked to speak to the manager, and explained as the licensee he was men’t to be able to provide paying guests with Breakfast Lunch Or an Evening meal On informing him of this he asked what time would we like Breakfast. Once that was sorted we just put are bags into the room; as they’d stopped serving food, we ventured out into Lampeter to find a suitable place.

We found a place quite close by and had a fantastic meal, eventually we returned to the Hotel and found our room. As it was a cold night and this is and old coaching inn with very thick walls one would have hoped that it would be nice and warm, no the radiators were tepid, we’ll after checking me emails we decided we’d have a bath to try and warm up, as our room was cold and Damp, we’ll we started to draw a Bath and I noticed that the Bath was dirty It still had Pubic hairs from the previous occupants, so I had to wash the bath! We started to fill the bath only to find out No Hot water!! Well I wasn’t going to be beaten by this, we had a kettle in our room in getting to our room we noticed two other rooms that were unlocked so I went in and borrowed the kettles well started to boil water. Eventually we started to fill the bath after boiling many kettles we had enough water to just wash in; whilst we were in the bathroom we noticed the lack of general hygiene, also something you don’t often see there was no form of heat in the bathroom at all!

We’ll we got dried and went into the cold bedroom, only to notice were the smell of Damp was coming from it was in the window area. The walls around the window had been stripped of their wallpaper and the naked walls were covered in black mold. My partner had to go to the car and get a hot water bottle that he was planning to give to a relative for Christmas to try and warm the bed.

We’ll morning arrived and we went for breakfast, this was a Bacon roll and as much coffee as you could drink, we spoke to the Manager Dean, who refunded the Bacon Rolls from our Bill, we have contacted Brains Hotels who said “The Black Lion Hotel is in a Price Bracket what you Get is what you Paid for”

We’ll I’ve had to stay in some Slums in my Time this has to be the worst!!
If you Value you Health Don’t Stay and the Black Lion Hotel I think it should be Renamed The Black Death Hotel!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you Check in!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ORGANISTER
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lampeter
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanon
Glasfryn Guest House
Glasfryn Guest House
#4 of 12 in Lampeter

Been to The Black Lion Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!