“Excellent service and amazing food - family friendly”

The Black Lion Royal Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Lampeter
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We passed through Lampeter with our family, 2 adults 5 children. The staff were really friendly and we were provided with a great service. The menu had a great selection of choice not just for adults but for the children too. Once we ordered we were presented with our food quickly, no long wait time which was great with the kids. Not only did the food look amazing it tasted amazing too. Would certainly eat here more often. Overall this is a great family friendly pub with excellent service. We would like to wish the new manager Vanessa and the chef Dave many successful years to come.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisa m
There are newer reviews for The Black Lion Royal Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2014

My wife and I visited the lovely Welsh Town of Lampeter Friday and Saturday for a family wedding (held locally) on the Saturday. We were made welcome at The Black Lion and shown to a very nice twin room with spare bed for our grandchild. All very clean and comfortable. Slightly dodgy plumbing but manageable. New Manager Vanessa is lovely and most helpful at all times. Bar service slow at busy times so another bar person would be good. Evening meals seem mainly pre prepared/mass produced but just OK. The breakfasts were excellent each time with good service by Vanessa. I would be happy to stay there again if the standard continues to improve as is the intention I understand.

Room Tip: The striking clock opposite front rooms stops striking at midnight and resumes at 6 a.m. It's qu...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Read other reviews on this hotel..... yes the decor is tired but it has a 'lived in' feeling. We were in a family room (that was all that was available) and it was clean, spacious and warm. Staff were friendly and helpful. Plenty of room for clothes etc. Not the sort of place you will spend weeks at a time in Lampeter but a nice base to visit the coast towns of Aberaeron, Newquay and both places are lovely and quiet this time of year. Food in the Black Lion was good.... many locals appeared to eat in the evenings there so that is always a good sign in my opinion.....parking for cars at the rear of the hotel... yes new decor and a bit of painting will improve the place no end but it is clean with large oak beams all over the hotel...good nights sleep too....

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brummiehome
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Having stayed there for work it has got to be one of the worst the TV had only two channels the walls and ceiling had cracks through them and the town hall bell rang through the night. That said the bedding was clean even if the carpet wasn't the bathroom is spacious and everything is accessible from there I doubt I would stay here again through choice however I could see why someone would. I feel a bit sorry for the place and the staff this has the potential to be a fabulous hotel but has just been neglected and really makes me think again about brains the brewery who own it whom I have always held in high regard until this experience. The staff do a good job but without investment they will always struggle with bad reviews.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here while visiting Lampeter. We found the staff friendly and helpful. The room was okay, with what once was a very nice décor. It had however seen better days. The bed was very firm and for some people perhaps too firm. It was clean however, even though several aspects of the room were in need of repair (real as well as cosmetic). There was a section of the ceiling which had previously had a leak, and while repaired, it had not been repainted or papered. There were also other small breakages in the bathroom. Once again the staff were lovely, and the price was fair for what we received in bed and breakfast.

While I wouldn't rush back to stay here, it doesn't mean I wouldn't stay here again. Overall 3 1/2 out of 5.

Room Tip: There are stairs, and some uneven sections in the accommodation area where you go up and then down a...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We spent three days in this hotel and our experience was not very nice. Firstly, it is located just in front of the town hall and you can hear the tower bell ringing every 15 minutes so it was impossible to sleep there!
Secondly, the building was quite old and absolutely in need of repair (the carpet was so dirty...). The bathroom was not bad and it was very spacious... maybe for dancing because from there you could listen the loud music of the pub which is just in the ground floor.
Finally, we have a very disgusting experience with the staff. We forgot a jacket and a shirt in the room. We called many times until they wanted to have a look into the room (or so they said). However, apparently there was no trace of the clothes, nobody saw them and they had disappeared! The staff was very rude when we tried to know about the clothes and we are still waiting for a reply...
We are sure that someone, probably the cleaners, took them and it is absolutely incredible that a place like that can be called "hotel". A real hotel has a very different behavior in this kind of situations.
To sum up, I simply would not recommend this hotel to anybody, the service and the staff are not trusting so why to stay here if you can have your belongings taken in any moment?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LL M
BlackLionLampeter, Manager at The Black Lion Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

I'm sorry you were not happy with your recent stay here at the Black Lion Hotel. I have checked our housekeeping lost property cupboard and there is a jacket and shirt there. If you wish to contact me on 01570 422172 and ask for Vanessa (Manager) I can discuss this with you, and we can arrange for them to be returned to you. Many Thanks.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have spent several nights at this hotel over the last two years as my daughter is studying at the Uni in Lampeter and this town centre hotel is the most convenient place to stay when visiting her. The rooms are getting worse each time I visit.
Last week I was in room 105 once again... wallpaper is peeling off in several places, and in the the bathroom there is no heating and no serviceable hooks for towels, robes etc. Worst of all though - the window. Aside from the dreadful state of the flat roof which this room looks onto (covered in rubbish and slime), the window frame is rotten (solution: stuff it with loo roll), the wall around it is covered by black mould instead of wallpaper, and the net curtain has big holes in it.
I paid £40 for the night (room only). I've tried to tell myself that's a good price for a town centre hotel, but quite honestly, I'd have been more happy with a night in a Uni hall - at least there I'd expect the worst.
I'd love to know what owners Brains intend to do with 'The Black'. Lampeter is a charming and characterful University town and so remote that there will be a constant need for accommodation amongst its would-be students and their families. Several businesses in the town have closed in recent months, so I guess it's easy for Brains to assume that The Black Lion will always busy as there's so little competition.
I'd advise that you shop around for other accommodation when visiting Lampeter; Brains need to understand that customers DO have a choice and will exercise it wisely. It's very sad to see the company letting such an important and once-impressive building fall into such a state of disrepair.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank MsBwrites
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lampeter
The Falcondale Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanon
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
Aberystwyth Park Lodge Hotel
#5 of 13 in Aberystwyth

Been to The Black Lion Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!