“Not so good”
Review of Castle Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lampeter
Castle Hotel
Ranked #9 of 12 Lampeter B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 April 2012

There was a sock on the floor in my room and loose change in my bedside table and a rip in my bed sheet, also mold on my wall and the tv was about the size of my phone. The staff we're friendly though and breakfast was good.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank ricrhys

Reviewed 21 October 2011

A one night stay on the road to elsewhere.

This is a small hotel on the main street in Lampeter, although it’s a very quiet main street and we were not disturbed by any noise. The bar was lively in the evening but we did not eat there, having made other arrangements.

The room was basic but clean and we had a good night’s sleep. Breakfast was good and substantial, served by the landlord’s wife who was very friendly and chatty.

This is not a luxury place nor does it pretend to be. It is a good place to sleep at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PlainSong
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Friendly service, nothing was too much trouble.
Did not eat here, but smelt good! Enjoyed an evening drink in the bar.
The room we had was ensuite and it was basic, but comfortable. It had everything you needed, but would welcome an update.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wantage71
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Having travelled the lonely road from Carmarthen and Civilisation to Lampeter, I was in need of a stiff drink due to a near miss with a mounted man and his steed. I ended up having two such drinks, made enquiries about food, and took my baggage upstairs.

The room, a double, was of a fairly good standard but a bit dated perhaps.. Not luxury, but clean nonetheless. The shower was quite good, the water was hot, but the showerhead could be better, and it was nice to see a bath.

I returned downstairs, and it being a Saturday evening the pub had begun to fill up with the local folk. I was treated to a steak and chips by mine host which was a good meal in anyones books. The chips were of an average fare but the steak was cooked to perfection and served sizzling away in its own juices- lovely! Washed down with a good Guinness (and that's saying something, outside of the Emerald Isle I seldom find the Guinness to be that good) I then proceeded to chat with the staff and regulars, after all, who wants to sit alone in a room watching Dancing on Ice on a Saturday night? Not I!

The landlord is a jolly old cove who clearly tests his ales for quality on a regular basis (perhaps too regularly! Arf Arf) who lectured me on politics for a while before being distracted by a minor altercation and ejecting the culprits, only for them to return ten minutes later, caps in hand, and best of chums!

I forget when I retired to bed exactly, but I do remember that breakfast in the morning being the perfect tonic for a fuzzy head. The bacon was as thick as gammon and the sausages, I was told, were locally sourced. Quite the feast indeed! I settled the bill (which was very reasonable) and was on my merry way to Aberystwyth and the brooding sea.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank IRoamThereforeIAm
Reviewed 20 April 2011

I can now say that I have finally stayed in the Hotel from Hell. Having arrived somewaht late (about 10pm) we were given a key to room 2. My pulses raced! Tired and imagining a warm, friendly, room I opened the door to be met with a freezing reception. The heating was off. Whilst my wife went downstairs to inform mine host I investigated this corner of heaven a little more closely. The duvet was a lovely summer weight duvet. Wonderful, Shame it was not summer. The portable tv showed BBC 1 only, so I was whisked back to my childhood when Sky TV was merely a dream in a madmans brain. Luckily it was much too cold to contemplate taking a shower so the fact it was broken caused me little pain, although the mobile toilet seat was a little daunting, but that was too dirty to use anyway. I started to look for the hidden TV camera because I felt this must be a joke and that a presenter would leap out at any moment. Luckily the heat had at last arrived so I got into bed. Never mind, just a night and then I would find somewhere else I thought. Oh Dear, if only! The room started to cool down wonderfully again. Mine host was applied to. He could only 'boost' the heating for 30 minutes apparently, and refused to leave it on all night, after all did we think he was running some kind of hotel? As a heart patient I need to stay warm, and I started to get so cold that we had to leave. It was midnight by now and luckily we found a Premier Inn (God Bless 'em) 40 miles away, ah bliss! So a first for me! Leaving an 'hotel' in the middle of the night (it had already been paid for). The name 'castle' is apt. If you want to know what staying in a medieval dungeon is like, come here. They have the same levels of comfort and welcome.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank whizzabout
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed on a Sunday night and was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness of the regulars. The bar staff encouraged a party atmosphere and I went to bed realising that I had experienced a good night out. I woke with a smile on my face! Thank you Castle!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2010

I was in Lampeter for work and looking for somewhere to have lunch. there were several possibles on the High Street but I ended up purely randomly going to the Castle Hotel.
It was a nice surprise to find they have just launched a daily roast lunch. The choice on the day I visited was roast beef or turkey with lots of fresh vegetables and gravy plus sauces ( horseradish , cranberry , apple )
There were few other people lunching and it would be shame if this home cooked option is discontinued through lack of publicity. Give it a try

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business