“Evening Meal”

Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Turned up early Saturday evening to find restaurant full but waited 20 minutes and were found a table. Menu good and the food which arrived was very good too. Waiting staff charming and very helpful - especially when it came to the Welsh menu.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

The steaks and mixed grills were excellent. Very reasonably priced and great service too. Will recommend and return if in the area.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

This place goes from bad to worse. Last night on a Bank Holiday Sunday at 7pm, they had run out of food and were unable to take any bookings! It is such a shame because the staff are very helpful but the management needs to go, and soon. No wonder there are not so many tourists, where are they going to eat? Didsey

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Food is good. Nothing special but 'it does what it says on the tin'. Fine to pop in for lunch but I wouldn't recommend going too late in the day as it can get a little loud with people drinking there.

Reviewed 2 August 2009

Having just stayed at the Black Lion I would honestly rather sleep in the boot of my car next time. They messed up my reservation which meant that I had to spend an hour and a quarter of the wedding reception I was supposed to be at working that out for them (it was their mistake all along). I have quite litererally never been spoken to as rudely as the cleaner spoke to me and friends when she was trying to eject us half an hour before checking out time because "I've got work to do and you're all getting in the way". She let herself into occupied rooms when specifically asked not to which was an enormous invasion of privacy.

The area is outstandingly beautiful but that experience is one I wouldn't want to repeat.

ps the wedding was lovely though...

grey225, Manager at The Black Lion Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2009

In response to the review:
I am firstly very sorry to hear that any of our guests have not enjoyed their stay but I feel I should put forward our side of events to get a balanced view.
The problem with the booking in question was that a group booking had been made for several rooms in the same name and the guest in question seemed unsure which room had been allocated to himself. The reception staff therefore felt it inappropriate to issue a room without the authorisation of the person who had booked it for security reasons and to avoid any double booking.
I have spoken to the cleaner that day after the incident and she reports that she was entering rooms she believed may have been vacated and was always knocking loudly first. It is never our policy to enter a room without good reason or if we have been asked not to by the guest staying in that room.
We always look to resolve any issues we have amicably and as soon as we can. I would hope the writer of this review would contact the hotel so that we may be able to do so in this case