“Good hearty food cooked well”
Review of The Black Lion Royal Hotel - CLOSED

The Black Lion Royal Hotel
Price range: US$21 - US$31
Cuisines: British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Very good value food, lots of special offer nights. Service was quick and friendly, definitely worth the stop off if you're passing through the area. The portions were hearty, and their cheese board was enough to feed a small army!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We have eaten here a few times and always found it good value and a pleasant experience. I have had to use a wheelchair for the last couple of months due to a broken leg and the complexities of going out for a meal in a wheelchair have not been easy! We have eaten in the Black Lion at lunchtime and evening and the staff have been so helpful. Food is good and good value, and it is easy to access for a wheelchair. Double doors, parking on street or in car park, slight slope to entrance at side, level floor to table, plenty of room for manouvre and small but adequate disabled toilet. Staff happy to help if needed.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

There were 5 in our party on this visit ... two children and 3 adults. We were celebrating 14 years in this beautiful part of the country (we moved from London in 2000).
We did not book a table this time (it was a Monday night); the restaurant was still comfortably busy, but we were welcomed and seated at a good table immediately.
Our waitress was very kind, patient and helpful.
We watched the lads in the kitchen preparing food from our (generous and comfortable ) table; they do work hard! We had a very mixed order ... but everything arrived together and was cooked as ordered. WELL DONE LADS!!
We saw hotel visitors enjoying their evening meals as well .. everyone appeared satisfied.
Our 10.5 year old daughter ordered an 8oz rump steak (rare) with 1/2 rack ribs + all the trimmings AND ATE IT ALL!! (she was very hungry). I had shank of lamb (hot and tasty, with fresh cooked carrots and broccoli). All meals were good ... and we went to to have afters (banana splits, ice-cream, rum baba [served with more finesse -thank-you, I DO LOVE IT] and sticky toffee pudding. We also had wine, 2 x Rev James + soft drinks. The bill was under £115; I call that excellent value.
The Black Lion could still do with some refurbishment ... but Brains should be pleased that they manage so well.
We will be back!

Reviewed 26 November 2013

I arrived with my girlfriend and another couple for a spontaneous evening meal out. We are students and were taking advantage of the 20% off Tuesday Grill Night. We had drinks beforehand while we waited for a table to be set up. The setting is nice, in a homely sort of way; I visit the pub occasionally for a pint and so am familiar with the location.
We ordered our food, I chose the smoked salmon fishcake followed by a rump steak cooked rare, while my girlfriend picked the vegetarian chilli.
The service was dismal, owed exclusively to the lacklustre approach of a short-haired woman working front of house. The first problem occurred when my girlfriend's coke tasted off and another member of our group, with a history in the service industry, thought the post mix and gas needed changing. She informed this waitress, who was apparently already aware of this. In other words, as changing the coke may have been too much of a task for her, she sent it in the hope that my girlfriend would drink it without complaint.
The second instance occurred when my girlfriend, having received her chilli without the side order of guacamole included with the dish, asked me to mention it. Upon doing so, the waitress stated that the 'guacamole comes separately' and would have arrived moments later. Had I not mentioned it I doubt the guacamole would ever have appeared.
My fishcake was flavoursome and the relish served with it complemented it nicely. My steak, if a little overdone, was tasty as were the chips, peppercorn sauce, mushrooms and side salad.
I would suggest that the management ought to better train their front of house as our evening was dampened not by the food but by the service.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We last visited the Black Lion Hotel in Lampeter on a Friday evening and it was good, but very quiet. This time we visited on a Saturday ... I booked a table to be sure we had the one we wanted, and that was just as well because when we arrived (early) all other tables were busy.
The kitchen staff were under pressure, but coped very well with the busy evening service.
Our party ordered mainly steaks; all mains arrived more or less together, and all steaks were cooked as requested ... with two rare and one well done that could have easily gone wrong, but it did not. We then ordered deserts as well ... rum baba on the menus was a pleasant surprise but could have been better with a little more finesse.
Service was professional and efficient, from booking the table right to service of coffee. Beer was good (Rev James); house wine also good.
The restaurant could still do with a face-lift but was still comfortable enough ... as all of the staff are doing a good job I would think Brains should consider a re-furb a worthwhile investment; it is over 10 years since the last one. Lampeter is a University town and has lots of visitors.
This Hotel is a lovely character building in the middle of The town; we parked outside on the road, free ... but there is a car park behind the Hotel.
Facilities in the restaurant are generous and clean, but they too look a little tired.
This could be a gem in Lampeter with some polishing.