“Horrible !!!”

Welcome Traveller Inn
Ranked #36 of 43 Haverfordwest B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I saw this place featured on hotel inspector last year and likened the change's she had made, so i book a room, Oooh dear ooor dear, they seemed to improve and keep up the good work for some time now i'm afraid its even worse than before, the misarable woman is back, the girl named sarah shouting at her dad in the kitchen and the stench of smoke all over the property ! Its a shame they descended back into this menagerie and think they deserve to fail as they can't help themselves.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
16  Thank Sarah L

Reviewed 21 July 2013

Where do I start.
Landlady~ personality bypass. Anything was too much trouble. We asked to move rooms due to the loud music and vile language from the bar/isolation unit!! Apparently that was not possible as they were fully booked [ unlikely as the new psychiatric unit at Withybush had opened the previous week]
The rooms and I use the term loosely were stinking , filthy and riddled with DNA. It's a CSA paradise the bathrooms were reasonably clean .... Which is surprising given the lack of toilet paper
My advice is to find yourself a nice public convenience and get a mortgage on it.... Gotta be better that this gaff. At least Noah's Ark advertised that animals were welcome.
Sadly the joke's us on me since I was the mug who paid in advance for our Cell.
The only saving grace is I left our dog behind , even though she has been known to sniff excrement I am certain she would have sued me for cruelty had I taken her to the ironically named
Welcome Traveller!!
In summary the Black Plaque was at least Free for all.

Room Tip: Sleep in your car
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
22  Thank Martin M
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Here for few weeks working. The owners are a lovely couple who make you feel welcome. Messed them around with the booking of the room as work was cut short, non problems, very helpful and understanding. Very good breakfast and evening meals and a spot on pint in the bar.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank forderpaul
Reviewed 17 April 2013

dirty....unclean...they have know idea how to run a b&b..the land lady ( lady i think not ) need to smile and looks a scruff..lipstick might help !!! food took ages..rooms smell..blah blah...never ever go again

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jayne W
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I would recommend sleeping in your car instead of checking in here.
The whole place reeks of cigarette smoke being overly disguised by cheap choking air fresheners.
The bed sheets were smoke sodden, I had to open the window to breath and then the constant barking by the inn's huge dog was enough to make me just leave.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
15  Thank tiff913
Reviewed 26 September 2012

So I'm working in Wales and we decide to stay at the Welcome traveller inn. It's a very dated place, very cold, creaky floor boards and took ages to get warm, not hot, but warm water for a shower. Had food in the bar/restaurant area, ordered fish and chips twice, pint of cider and a lager shandy, £24, very expensive, fish was cold in the middle, not offered any sauces or asked if it was ok. NO WiFi even though the owner spent the whole time sat at her PC next a wireless router. Heating wasn't turned on so used a little electric heater, would've got more heat of a candle so we froze over night, the floor was so thin you could've joined in the loud conversations in the bar till gone 11pm, breakfast was ok, not the best but I've had worse. On the bright side it was very clean. Would I recommend it or stay again?? No, I'd pay the extra and stay somewhere better.

• Stayed: September 2012
13  Thank Sy L
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed here for 1 night on business. The room was clean & adequate but the beds were very lumpy - my colleagues had the same problem in their rooms. They reported getting up in the middle of the night to try out the other twin beds in desperation, but them being just as bad. It was like sleeping on a sack of potatoes, they need to invest in new beds urgently!

My room smelled of smoke in the morning which I couldn't figure out until I read the other reviews on Tripadvisor as clearly the non-smoking policy then doesn't seem to apply to the owners? Walls are thin and I was woken up several times in the night by hearing people flush the toilet throughout the building - never an appealing way to be woken up!

Breakfast was limited to a fry-up, cereals or DIY toast, but given the fabulous produce Pembrokeshire has to offer this was a bit of a let down. No muesli, no fruit. My colleague asked for boiled eggs, which were served raw. The restaurant is very much a gammon, egg & chips type establishment, which is fine if you like gammon, egg & chips in the evening, but really wasn't what we were looking for. Thankfully Pembrokeshire is filled with pubs serving wonderful fresh food. We drove down to the Griffin Inn in Dale and had freshly caught seafood instead.

Service was a let-down. We were glared at and my tea was unceremoniously dumped on a table (which I wasn't sitting at) without even an acknowledgement. Perhaps the owner was having a bad day, but she really didn't seem very happy with us. We felt that perhaps we had offended by not eating in the restaurant in the evening?

The B&B is in a great location and could be good if its facilities were upgraded to make sure the guests were comfortable (starting with the beds!) and more imagination is put into the menus. Little details can make or break a stay and unfortunately we will not be staying here again. At £60 a night for a twin/double, this really isn't good value for money if you consider some of the other B&Bs in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't next to the smoking owners.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business