“Jewel in the Crown”

Newgale Camping Site
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Been to Newgale campsite, our first visit for 2yrs.This surely must be the Jewel in the Crown of Pembrokeshire campsites.As a Teacher ,my family and I spent 6 glorious weeks there. What a wonderful site,the price per night of £7per adult, £3 for children under 12 and 3 or under are free,is very reasonable. The Staff are fabulous, very chatty and friendly and are prepared to go the extra mile to make your stay a pleasant one.The toilets are spotless,and only 50p for a token for 5mins of hot shower water. I was able to charge my mobile every day at the Caravan office for no extra charge.I must say we camped for 6 weeks on the "bottom field" opposite the hookup area and did not see any "Gypsies". also the night time toilets were always open even during the day.Someone must have got out the wrong side of the bed, but as they say, you can't please everyone. he weather was great and we spent lots of time on the fab beach. It's going to be a long Winter waiting for next year.

2  Thank Keri W

Reviewed 19 August 2013

Although its convenient to be a stones throw away from the beach the price certainly warrants this,have found another field close by with far better views and half the price. What ever happened to affordable camping??

8  Thank Nick G
Reviewed 8 August 2013

It was an absolute pleasure staying at the Newgale Camping Site... just perfect! I had a few questions before hand and got all of them answered via Email. When we arrived, we were explained on how the showers worked, which restrooms to use at night, pitching the tent where ever we wanted as long as it is 6 meters away from others. It was quite windy on the day but we were able to get our tent up and literally "jump" over to the beach. You cross the street, a small stone well and there it is... the ocean! Just perfect. The first two nights I couldn't fall asleep to the ocean waves, back at home i can't without it any more :) just lovely. I was allowed to charge my mobile in the caravan, the wash up area is neat, the "book shop" just lovely and the showers and restrooms are clean and well maintained. Pub next door has lovely staff and good food(was able to get a plastic cup to enjoy my beer at the beach) and the breakfast place a little further down the road is just perfect! Breakfast fast really good and the staff tremendously helpful and nice. St. David is a short distance and a place to hang out for hours if you want to. Haverfordwest is a ten minute drive and has everything you need (tesco extra, laundrette etc.) Don't take the "mainroad" going towards Haverfordwest, use the road that follows the beachside. very tiny roads, but well worth the drive. You'll see small beach areas that are perfect for taking pictures or just sunbathing and swimming. Over all i WILL be back and the two lovely people that waved us good bye asked if that was a promise or a threat? (jokingly of course) and I said it's a promise.

3  Thank KathyTM2013
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I am truly gutted how our holiday turned out.
we arrived to a locked gate and a sign that said ' register at caravan'- no idea where the caravan was on such a big site, obviously we found it. my husband went with our daughter to find out where our pitch was, we drove to the pitch got everything out and one of the people from the caravan came and asked my hubby to come and fill out all of the forms and pay which he did and then came back to help put the tent up, he had only been back 5 minutes and someone else came over and said ' we have made a mistake and under charged you' so off my hubby goes and he has to pay another £25!! so we put the tent up and pegged in everything- every single guide rope, to then have the lady from the pitch next to us come over and say 'there's a 6 meter gap that has to be between tents' i told her we havn't been told anything like that so my hubby ran off to the caravan and the man followed him back to say ' yes there is a 6 meter gap that has be be maintained due to health and safety, unless we are friends then the gap on has to be 3 meters' (baring in mind he had only come up to us not long before asking for more money so he knew where we were putting the tent up and he still didn't say anything) so you can only imagine how furious we were at having driven 5 hours and then spent 20 minutes putting the tent up and pinning it all in to then be told we would have to move it!! so we had to unpin everything and move the tent the extra 3 meters away from the next tent!! 2 days later we had new neighbours on both sides and i went up to the closest one and explained the 6 meter rule and he said 'nope the man said 3 meters' so this infuriated us even more to think that why we had to move when no one else did- we went to complain but no one was in the caravan but we did see a sign that said anyone less than 6 meters would have to move- apparently this rule only applied to us!!
we got on with the space we had as the neighbours we had were lovely.
the next issue we had was people stealing! we had a couple of things stolen from the tent but the strangest was our tent pegs, everytime we left the site- which was alot. we came back to 2-3 tent pegs missing so we would replace them- obviously we looked for them first but they had taken so every time we replaced them- luckily we always take way too many. but we are nice decent people and if someone was low on pegs we would've helped them and given them as many as they needed. the things that were stolen out of the tent was whatever was the closest to the door- a few toys and clothes etc. so we ended up buying a little luggage case lock to lock up the tent.
one night i took my son to the toilets to find they were locked so i went to the night time toilets and they were locked so i had to take him to the mens but again they were locked andno one was in the caravan!! so had to take him to the pub just off the site so he could use the toilet in there. ( the toilets are locked every night so you have to use the night time toilets- there are only 2 for the whole campsite!!! and there is no where to dry your hands)
i moved my car out of the way for 5 mins whilst we did someone only to be shouted at by one of the people from the caravan- i explained it wasn't staying there and that i was just moving it for a moment only to be glared at. you would think that by the way we were treated we were some sort of thug family but we are an honest, kind trustworthy normal down to earth family who all have such good kind hearts but they obivously didn't like us and we don't know why. everywhere we have ever been we always get compliments on how lovely we are and how polite are children are.

There were alot of gypsys on the site which we were abit wary of at first which i hang my head in shame because they treated us nicer then the owners. We are now deciding if we should ask for our money back but I doubt we would get anything. Before we left to go on holiday we hoped that this campsite would be our permanent holiday from now on but unless they sell to someone else then we won't be going again.

I hope you have a better experience then we did!! Good Luck!!

17  Thank jill t
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Me and my partner stayed here for 1 night, just passing through looking for a place to pitch up tent and surf the night away. This was the perfect location, right on the beach. The campsite is clean and well maintained, nice and quite and the people who run the camp site are so friendly. The showers and toilets are better than any campsites i have stayed in before, we even forgot our wind breaker and they let me have one that a couple had donated them a few nights before we arrived. We surf a lot and Newgale beach has some great swell coming in, therefore this makes for a perfect spot to stay, if it rains it also has a pub right next to the camp site. Would definitely stay again if passing through.

Jon & Mariola x