“Nolton stables”
Review of Nolton Stables

Nolton Stables
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We have just come back from a weeks riding at Nolton,that was our 2nd visit. I went with friends,hubby and my 2 daughters who are 11 and 12.I just cant wait to go back.

The staff and horses are amazing even though my husband had never ridden before he was well looked after by staff and his horse Speckles.

I can not rate Nolton highly enough for their wonderful horses and their excellant staff.

Thankyou Nolton and see you again.

There are newer reviews for Nolton Stables

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Perfect spot for a ride - beautiful beach - a must do

Reviewed 21 January 2012

My aunt, cousin, seven year old daughter and I ventured off to Wales for a girls riding weekend.

We rented a cottage available through the stables which was cheaper than B&B even though we had booked it for a week and were only there for 4 days. The accommodation was lovely, clean, comfortable and very cozy 2 bed cottage with a log burner and roll top bath to soothe any aching muscles. There was a 4 bed house next door which looked as nice, so for a larger family would be perfect. Lovely views...

We booked a long beach and forest ride on one day and a shorter beach ride the next. Both were wonderful. The horses / ponies cater for any level of experience..mainly cobby style horses, strong and very pretty.... initially a large group gathered on ponies, some competent riders and some quite obviously had hardly ever ridden. All shapes and sizes, and some obviously 'larger' riders so obviously they have weight carriers....

In our little group, I have ridden all my life so was given 'Amazon' a lovely big lively cob, my daughter had a little pony, she has ridden regularly but never really had a good canter, but as with most youngsters, a huge amount of confidence. My aunt is a good rider but being a little older, and having learnt to ride as an adult, lacks a bit of confidence and my cousin is a complete novice having only ridden a few times, so we are a mixed bunch. Our riding history was taken and our mounts suited us all perfectly.

We had our own hats and boots, plus jodhpurs etc.... But it was obvious that there was no snobbery around what you looked like. People were in jeans, and the footwear was less important than usual as the stirrups were fittied with clever little toe caps that stop your feet being able to slip through. Scull cap style riding hats were available, not sure if you had to pay extra.

The horses and ponies are so well behaved... A mounting wall is available to help you get on and they just stand waiting for everyone to get ready. We all set off together, formation is organised if you are in groups and it was, overall, a large group with a number of the stable staff riding along at intervals....

One of the things I loved about this ride was the friendliness of the staff.... You often find youngsters working at stables who find it hard to make conversation, or who are not interested...here all the staff, young or more mature, all rode up and down the line chatting to people, checking everyone was happy and it was a real pleasure. We rode single file through the little village roads, traffic obviously very used to the great long line of horses trundling by, and very soon you are off the road, through a gate and into the forest part of the ride. At this point we went separate ways, dependant on ability and what you wanted to do.... There was a slow ride for non riders, a ride for those who could walk, trot and canter and even the opportunity to go off with very experienced riders and pop over a few jumps. Equally I think some were on longer and some on shorter rides.....

Our little group stuck together for the lovely forest trail which went through the trees then climbed and climbed... Lovely views.

A little bit of road riding followed, but again we were given the option to break up and this time I went with the fast ride over the fields for a canter while the others had a nice relaxing stroll down the hill and then we joined up again as we heading onto the beach...

It is such a wonderful beach, lots of space and so beautiful.... Again the ride is seamlessly split into ability groups and taken off by a lead rider and then up and down you go in your groups, going at a pace that is right for you... Non riders were walking, other groups taking it easy with trots or slow canters and then there were us lucky ones, really going for it and galloping through the surf... Amazing! My little girl had the most amazing long canters and she was delighted... On the second ride she was taken off 1 to 1 so that she could really get the most out of it and go at a pace right for her and her little pony.... It was lovely to see her having such a wonderful time....

The horses are amazing... There must have been about 30 of us on this enormous beach in different groups going up and down at different speeds, passing each other... Never did we get in each others ways, never did the horses do anything naughty....it felt completely safe. obviously there are never any guarantees with horses, they are animals at the end of the day, and it's easy for an experienced rider to feel safe, but my aunt, cousin and daughter are all at different levels and they all felt the same way. There were obviously some people living out lifetime dreams, complete delight and emotion for some members of the group, and no unsatisfied customers....

There is a photographer which is a super idea as its impossible to get photos of yourself, he takes superb shots and loads of them, and they got groups together for shots also. They are all loaded onto a CD which you can buy... It's very reasonably priced to.

On our second ride I was given the option of riding 'Summer' a Suffolk Punch, not something that happens every day! Huge, and be prepared to work out your thigh muscles if you are given this option (experienced riders only I think)... I was quite glad by the end it was a shorter ride, legs had had a serious workout! The shorter rides do go to a smaller beach also and here they wade out into the sea a bit deeper (you won't get wet!)...

All in all a wonderful experience... It's not cheap, but then keeping and maintaining horses is not cheap and there are different options for shorter and longer rides with different prices... Great for the novice or experienced rider and lovely friendly service.

Headed back this year with husband and friends to have another go.....can't wait!

1  Thank loopyloooo
Reviewed 17 January 2012

When we go 'home' to Pembrokeshire my daughter always wants to go for a ride from here. The staff are great and very friendly and helpful. My daughter prefers the valley ride but I loved the beach ride. I gained the confidence to go riding with her last time after a decade off. When I explained to one of the leaders (who happened to be the owner) that I was still a little nervous but would love a canter. He took me aside on the beach and cantered alongside me several times along the beach. I was thrilled that I had gained abit of confidence back! All the horses are great and well looked after as is the stables itself.
Would highly recommend Nolton Stables to everyone! Looking forward to another beach ride in May this year :o)

Reviewed 30 November 2011

the whole family went out on an excursion with Nolton Stables (yes even the husband who has never been riding before!) I have to say their experience with novices & advanced riders alike ensured an afternoon full of fun for the whole family. Staff were on hand to offer advice & were friendly. We greatly accepted the chance to ride into the sea & along the small cove - it didnt dissapoint. Would highly reccomend