“Beautiful day out but take a picnic”

Picton Castle & Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: PICTON CASTLE AND GARDENS A Magical Day Out for all the FamilySituated close to the Cleddau Estuary Picton Castle and Gardenscomprise 40 acres of some of the most beautiful gardens and grounds surrounding the great 13th century castle. Much like the castle building itself, the gardens of Picton are a fusion over many centuries of different gardening styles and periods. The gardens are now acknowledged as one of the most beautiful and atmospheric in Wales and on the strength of the collections are a Royal Horticultural Society Partner Garden.
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Have wanted to visit Picton for ages and finally got my wish this year. I was not disappointed. The castle has so much history and the tour was brilliant. Our tour guide (Norman) was really entertaining, full of facts and easy to understand. The gardens are really pretty, especially the walled garden with a fountain in the middle and plenty of medicinal herbs/plants, all with information attached to interest you more. Kids loved the board walk and the maze, so did us parents! The board walk, especially, was inventive....I can't say I've seen one anywhere before in this sort of environment.
Only downside for me was the cafe/restaurant. It looked lovely, the food looked good but my budget did not stretch to £8-£10 per person for lunch with a drink. It would have been good to see a more 'family friendly' menu and would have enabled us to stay longer.

2  Thank Numpty9
There are newer reviews for Picton Castle & Gardens

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Took a family day out during our holiday to Picton Castle. Myself, my wife, 3 of our grown children and their partners and 2 grandchildren aged 4 and 8 months.
What a great family day out, so much to keep a 4 year old entertained, my children have discovered an interest in gardening and I've found some inspiration to make some changes to my own garden.
We only did the gardens, but they are absolutely amazing with so many surprises at every turn. And when we visited, the gardens were almost empty.

1  Thank TrevorHenderson
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Marie's cafe gets 10 out of 10 from me. Quiche and salad delicious followed by fantastic carrot cake. Unfortunately you can not go to cafe without paying to enter the gardens. Gardens worth seeing. Nice and tranquil place.

1  Thank Angela G
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The forecast wasn't good - but we decided to risk a visit. We are so pleased that we did. The Cafe has a great range of home cooked food (with a spanish twist), the castle tour was one of the best I have been on, informative, friendly and to the point, and the gardens are an absolute delight; (very imaginative planting & design). It was a very memorable few hours.

1  Thank Dave h
Reviewed 1 August 2014

A good day out well kept gardens and a castle tour that was not too long (1 hr)...........................................................................