“Great day at Picton Castle ”

Picton Castle & Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: PICTON CASTLE AND GARDENS A Magical Day Out for all the FamilySituated close to the Cleddau Estuary Picton Castle and Gardenscomprise 40 acres of some of the most beautiful gardens and grounds surrounding the great 13th century castle. Much like the castle building itself, the gardens of Picton are a fusion over many centuries of different gardening styles and periods. The gardens are now acknowledged as one of the most beautiful and atmospheric in Wales and on the strength of the collections are a Royal Horticultural Society Partner Garden.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Had a great day at the Secret Owl Garden, Picton Castle. The staff were fantastic, gave great talks and they were different owls flying ( very close!) many times throughout the day. We had a combined ticket with the castle which was also well worth the visit with a great guide. Also had a great lunch and tea & cakes at the on site Maria's cafe.

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"gardens are lovely"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Did the whole tour for a very reasonable price. Had walk around all garden areas. Tour of castle was interesting - with enough info to be interesting without being overwhelming. Owl area was fab - could get up close and ask lots of questions of the handlers when owl being flown for exercise & food (owls get flown throughout day so you are bound to see at least one). Only sampled coffee in the café but the food smelt & looked lovely.

1  Thank JHWHarworth
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The best gardens we have seen in Wales. If you have a choice between the National Botanic Gardens or these, choose the Picton Castle Gardens. These gardens are part of the BBC Gardeners World 2 for 1 entry, making them even better value. Lots of walks, a maze and a great walled garden form part of the grounds. The Castle (not a castle to my mind) is extra and by guided tour only.

Tucked away in the grounds is a great owl experience with many types of owl. While we were there there was a keeper showing owls flying - really good for young and old alike.

There is also a play area for younger children which seemed to be fun for the children who were there (Friday nt school holiday).

The cafe is very good too.

1  Thank Plopitucus
CASTLE178, Manager at Picton Castle & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your review & I will pass on your kind comments to the team here at Picton. I am sorry you were disappointed in the castle as you feel it is "not a castle to my mind" - please note that it was built in 1280 for Sir John de Wogan & ,was continually occupied until the 1990s. In the late 17th & early 18th century it became more of a stately home and less of a military establishment. The new wing was added in 1791 but at least 80% of the building you see today is that put up in 1280. I hope that clarifies the claim that it is a castle for you
Best wishes

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Visited with my husband and two year old daughter. Went to the secret garden of owls first and had a lovely time. My daughter loved the owls and all the staff where welcoming and we enjoyed learning about the owls. We then casually walked over to the castle and as my husband wondered to look at the vintage lawnmowers me and my daughter noticed a tour was taking place at 2pm and that people where starting to collect.
Me and my two year old daughter stood at the back of the line holding hands. It was dead on 2pm and a lady (Sue) walked over to greet the newly formed crowd. As she stared a bit to long at my daughter I wondered if children where aloud to join the tour and I asked her politely if we could join them; she didn't answer me straight away still daggering my daughter, I felt uneasy. She answered me a bit abruptly which made all 18 (or so) people in the que turn around and look at me. She ( Sue ) made me feel very embarrassed to ask her if we could join the group. She wouldn't explain how I could sign up or whatever I had to do and said that the lady on the front gate would have explained what our tickets allowed us to enter. By what i can gather we payed for the full entry ticket, she didn't once ask to see my ticket, what I had payed for or what I needed to do if anything to join the tour, she point blank refused to help me, i felt like she didnt want a child on the tour. Having never visited Picton castle before I didn't think to ask the lady on the front gate these questions. The way Sue spoke to me made me feel tiny and vulnerable. I didn't know what to say back to her and she wasn't listening when I didn't know the answer to her question, she didn't do anything to help me. I was so upset I walked away with my daughter to the park and cried! I've never been belittled so much before in front of my child. It wasn't a nice situation to me in with so many people looking at me as this woman spoke to me the way she did. I only asked to join the tour. Next time when someone's asks you please take them to where they need to go and help them out. I hadn't a clue what to Do, it may be simple for you but not to someone that hasn't visited before. I feel awful giving a bad review as the rest of the day was perfect but I need to write this review, so this lady knows how much she upset me, I'm not pathetic in the least, she made me speechless. I keep thinking of what I should have said but at the time, I was welling up behind my sunglasses and I couldn't respond to her. She left a real bad taste in my mouth; all week I have planned to take my family here only to be disappointed.

Thank you for your review and I am sorry that you were disappointed with your visit to the castle. It is alwatys explained on entry at the Ticket Office that you need to book the timing of your castle tour in the gift shop in the courtyard. We provide 4 guided tours a day and that is the only way that we can manage access to the castle and its collections. The reason for booking a time is so that we can safely manage numbers on each tour (there is a maximum number of 25 guests per tour)

The tour guide did make me aware of your questions as she felt that she had informed you of the need to quickly book a tour in the gift shop - after you departed she waited for some time for you to return with your ticket so that the tour could begin & was surprised when you did not turn up. I am sorry that you feel that this request was intrusive - it was just an attempt to facilitate your access to the castle. We do allow accompanied children on the tours and I sorry that you felt otherwise

See more reviews
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Didn't visit the house, but the gardens were lovely, especially the walled garden.
The cafe was another matter. At 12.30 we waited at the counter for 4 minutes (no-one else there) to be served. There were several staff around, but they looked at us as though we had just crawled out of a drain. When we eventually placed an order my quiche and salad took over 15 minutes to arrive and wasn't that special. Our advice - take your own food and drink and have a picnic.

Dear Jocura - thank you for your review I note you enjoyed the gardens & were disappointed with your service in the restaurant, I can only apologise about that as that is not how we like our supporters to be treated. I shall certainly pass on your comments to the restaurant management team
Best wishes