“Literary inspiration”
Review of The Druidstone

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Haverfordwest
The Druidstone
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Haverfordwest
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Literary inspiration”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

So, you’re finally resolved in your mind to tackle some of the great literary works of the past few centuries; War & Peace? The Lord of the Rings? Homer’s Odyssey? I would thoroughly recommend The Dru as the *perfect* location for your assignment. Take one fantastic location, with an astounding beach view, stunning cliffs, a divine west-facing aspect witnessing the most sublime sunsets and a range of well-positioned benches, chairs and perches, and you have the hotel in a nutshell. Add to that, if it’s your thing, the shabby-chic décor of the hotel – implemented so thoroughly and so exquisitely that I was left wondering which elements of the environment were *not* rough-and-ready by design.

Find your table in the dining rooms, hopefully one in proximity to the west-facing windows allowing you to soak in the evening spectacle, order your drink and dinner, and then start reading. And keep on reading. Don’t stop. Do your very best to absorb yourself in your book, and be grateful that you chose a long one, because in all likelihood, we will have left the Holocene Epoch of the Quaternary Period before your food is served.

Both evenings we dined there, there was well in excess of an hour passing between our initial order and seeing food on the table. At least the second time we were prepared and took our aperitifs in the garden rather than waiting expectantly at the table. Only the promise of ‘chef is just plating up now’ materialised into another 15 minute wait, and then approximately 45 minutes' span between the first and the last of the main courses to arrive at the table.

Even our breakfast order the following morning was ‘likely to be delayed’ because ‘the kitchen has a lot of tickets yet to clear in front of us’. I laughed mirthlessly, seeing just six other diners in the whole room. One of whom I’m sure was already onto the footnotes of ‘East of Eden’.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Snargle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Have holidayed in Pembs for many years, usually staying in the Little Haven area. The Druidstone used to be the only restaurant nearby that offered anything like a proper evening out. In those days we put up with its quirkiness (sometimes much of the menu was 'finished', it felt pricey for what it was and the service was glacial). Also, there was a particular kind of what I can only describe as well-heeled Islington faux bohemian resident who seemed quite put out when people like us arrived to dine. Anyway, having finally got the hump with the Druidstone's foibles, we haven't been back for years. Latterly there are numerous pubs that have gone gastro in the area and we've discovered a blissfully unpretentious cheerful if garish fish restaurant called 'What's Cooking' on the A40 which serves absolutely fabulous local fish at very very reasonable prices verging on cheap. This year we decided to give the Druidstone another go, just to see. The studied art school tattiness is still there, it feels understaffed, but the view is still marvellous and if you get a window table and you've got friends with you to while away the gap between ordering and food arriving, then there are few nicer places to be. I wish it luck, but would suggest that what might have passed for oddball charm has now had its day. Even so, lots of big new cars in the car park suggest Islington remains loyal.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Jonathan H
notingham
Reviewed 9 August 2014

As a family we were staying at druidston home farm so the druidstone is only 10mins walk away the food was very tasty and the cider well kept and the place is in a stunning location ,Wales can't be bettered we found some great people to chat to although some of the custom there did seem a little rude and stuck up, the staff on a whole were great although my better half was nearly charged twice by the blond lad behind the bar so watch your bills . We would go again and recommend the place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tvr2500m
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Love it! No need to say more really, but if you like order, predictability, matching furniture and standardised service, don't go here. It's a one off and all the better for that! I feel valued and protected on every visit.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Winicat
UK
Reviewed 28 July 2014

During the week I wear a suit, have a highly successful career, ipad, iphone, nice car, stress, high cholesterol, insomnia. At weekends I chill out, relax and get back to me. I do not want to eat in a psuedo decored restaurant with highly trained staff with no personality eating the same old stuff I can cook at home.

Druidstone is not an experience to be gawked at, or people trying to be eco chic - it is what IT is - not what you want it to be, that is the charm of the place.

If you want to talk you can meet some eclectic people, often I go alone sit, read, relax and I feel just as comfortable.

The decor is relaxed and quirky as are the staff - its why I go there!

I left work on Wednesday, swam in the sea had a cool glass of wine in the bar, had a really lovely meal with good service and the sunset was incredible.

If Druidstone changed to cater for everyones wants and wishes, it would lose its charm.

Druidstone brings about a change in the people that go there, even if only for a short time.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the top floor with balcony looking straight out to sea. Its bliss.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank poppyx
Wales, UK
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I've had the pleasure of going to the Dru - as locals call the Druidstone Hotel - for 30 or more years as employee, family and friend, and there's a real magic to be discovered here if you're prepared to understand what the Dru is about. Amazing ambience - tick. OK food - always. Amazing food - regularly. Good beers - always. Incredible views - every day. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: go for the sea views -they're worth it
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ecosapiens
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Cycling on route 4. This is a great stop for coffee and fantastic views. The coffee was perfect And the views stunning. Highly recommended. No problems with the bicycles either. The menu looked very good too. I would definitely return I the future.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Kenneth Chu-Keo... L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverfordwest
Slebech Park
#5 of 6 in Haverfordwest
Warpool Court Hotel
Warpool Court Hotel
#3 of 6 in St Davids

Been to The Druidstone? Share your experiences!