“Welcomed by a beautiful dog”

Hilton Court Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Hilton Court is nestled in the heart of the Pembrokeshire National Park. With 12 aches of beautiful gardens, woodlands and lakes its the perfect place to unwind. The victorian court yard houses the galley, gardens restaurant, pottery and the superb gift shop all offering local crafts and local produce from the surround area. The woodland cafe overlooks mature gardens and serves some of the best cake and coffee Pembrokeshire has to offer. Come and relax, recharge and rejuvenate at Hilton Court.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Welcomed by a beautiful dog”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I loved this place from the moment we were greeted in the car park by a beautiful friendly collie......she happily dropped a little stick at our feet and we played for ages. Sadly we didn't have enough time to visit the actual gardens due to a prior commitment so we wandered around the gift shop, pottery etc. The lady in the gift shop was lovely.....really friendly, we talked about cats, dogs and penguins while my husband went off to choose me a (stone) penguin for the garden. I'm definitely going back soon

jeanjean262, Manager at Hilton Court Gardens, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
The dog is called Willow and she loves taking people all around the woodlands, ponds and gardens so I am sure she will join you on your next visit. Thankyou for the lovely comments and see you soon.

Milford Haven, United Kingdom
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 444 helpful votes
“This is the time of year to visit”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

What a little gem, the gardens are a joy to explore ( take a camera ) the lakes are beautiful you can feed the fish! The water Lilly's, are all out and look fantastic. Look out for the giraffe!
You can walk to your hearts content and I will return to see what the other seasons have to offer.
We ended the day with a meal all freshly cooked and tasted great.

Visited May 2014
Glad you enjoyed your visit, although the bluebell wood is no longer in full bloom the foxgloves, pink campion, Lillie's and water hawthorn are looking beautiful this month. Look forward to seeing you again.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
“Not just for grown-ups”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I vaguely remember visiting Hilton Court as a child in the late 80s - I remember the ponds and a black cat (!) - but, although aware it was there, never visited as an adult.

Then, this Easter, I was looking for something cheap to do with my 5yo daughter to keep us out of the house while my husband slept off a night shift and had seen somewhere that Hilton Court hired children's Explorer Packs for £1 (plus entry fee) so thought it might kill an hour or so.

There's comments elsewhere on the courtyard craft shops but that wasn't for us as mum and 5yo. The Boules court was however (I *just* beat my daughter - I'm such a cruel parent!) and my daughter was fascinated by the stocks and pillory (and insisted I get my head in the pillory - who am I to argue?).

Then, on to the gardens. Through the tea rooms where the lady serving was very pleasant - chatty and helpful - and we paid entry and got the explorer pack for my daughter. It's a green rucksack filled with various bug-catching/spotting paraphernalia (my daughter loved the idea of the pooter which you use to 'suck up' small insects to look at more closely), binoculars, and ID/information sheets (including FSC laminated guides which really are an excellent resource).

In all honesty, my daughter didn't use much from the pack - she was just excited to be an Explorer!

And Explore we did (her in charge of course!). Down to the ponds, across stepping stones, to admire the fish (we didn't get fish food on that occasion though have been back since and fed them), around the ponds and over the bridge into the wild woods at the bottom where we stomped along (very muddy in places which was fine for us but some repairs to gangways etc might be a good idea to improve access for the less abled). Then back into the gardens where we had a picnic under the "Dinosaur Rhubarb" and swung on the rope swing!

Finally, we explored the younger woods at the top which hide Squirrel Lodge and Elfi House. Squirrel Lodge is like the treehouse we all secretly long for, although safely on the ground. However, as it's several storeys high you can still get among the tree tops. Plus there's an enormous toy box stuffed full of a wooden train set which my daughter wanted to bring home!

Elfi house is a sweet little play house a bit further on where little ones can climb a short ladder to poke there head out of the window at the top. There are several more tree swings around including a very clever horse made from an old tyre and a hammock.

Once we were worn out (correction: once *I* was worn out!) we headed back to the tea rooms to return the Explorer Pack and head home.

We've been back twice since and have now bought an annual family ticket which, for £18 for 2 adults and 2 children including free use of the Explorer Packs, I think is pretty good value.

Hilton Court in many ways is 'good old-fashioned' outdoor fun for little ones where they can use their imagination. My daughter is now asking if we can hire Squirrel Lodge for her birthday because she's so enamoured with it. Seeing as her birthday is in November I'm hoping we can light the wood burning stove that's in there!

I'm really glad that Hilton Court wasn't left as a vague childhood memory of mine from the 80s and we've now rediscovered it as a family. :)

Visited April 2014
jeanjean262, Manager at Hilton Court Gardens, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
This is my favourite review that we have ever had. Hilton court is a family run business and we all live and work onsite putting a lot of thought, time and effort into creating a very natural but fun environment for people of all ages to enjoy nature. The Elfi house, named after the 4 grandchildren and Squirrel lodge were designed by the owner Peter Lynch and are regularly used by community and charity groups. I love the fact you completely understand and appreciate what we are trying todo here at Hilton and are enjoying the gardens, woodlands and ponds as they should be.
Thankyou for taking the time to leave this review as it makes all the hard work worth while.
Wales
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens & lovely tea rooms”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Visited the gardens on luckily a lovely sunny day. Gardens were really interesting with the solar house, squirrel hide to explore. I even went back to my child hood to swing on one of there many swings they have. There is a huge pond full of fish which you can feed. Was greeted by the sheepdog 'willow' who brought me a stick to throw. Lovely place for all the family. Tea rooms are very rewarding a walk around gardens, with homemade cakes, cream teas etc.

Visited May 2014
jeanjean262, Manager at Hilton Court Gardens, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
The sunshine does make all the difference, really glad you enjoyed your visit and maybe we will see you again in the future.
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely afternoon out”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

A lovely peaceful delight. The wonderful tea rooms and gardens give you time to relax and enjoy the sun, whilst the potter and his wife's stunning work sets it all off perfectly. A definite must to anyone visiting the area!

Visited May 2014
I am so glad you enjoyed your visit in the sunshine and thankyou for taking the time to leave feedback.