“Coffee shop good but not a good impression of the Italian”
Review of The Restaurant at Shire Hall - CLOSED

The Restaurant at Shire Hall
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 14 March 2014

We visited shires coffee shop as a recommendation from friends as it is now under new management!
The first thing we noticed about this was how much cleaner the place was
We were very impressed by the welcoming we had from staff! And the atmosphere was very relaxing.
The food was of good quality and the home made cakes were delicious!
After talking to one staff members we decided that we would try the Italian the following night.
So we returned to try out the Italian
We hadn't even got up the stairs to the Italian and we left due to the very loud music coming from the Italian!
We will returning to the coffee shop without a doubt and may consider the Italian again and we can't wait to try to new restaurant when it opens

1  Thank Patsylittle123

Reviewed 2 February 2013

Went out for a group birthday meal, we had been here a while before and remembered it to be good. How wrong we were! Rude and unaccommodating staff on arrival and slow service!
I had the carpaccio for starters and it clearly wasn't carpaccio, it was some kind of cured meat, possibly Parma ham. A friend has the Lear and cheese and it was basically a plate of Lear with 2 tiny pieces of cheese hidden underneath!
All portions of chips were very hard and overlooked.
I ordered a steak for main and it had been totally over seasoned! Far too salty to eat! When we made a complaint staff were very unapologetic and very blasé about it, I'm assuming that's because they must get lots of complaints these days!!
Food was incredibly overpriced for what it was, I certainly won't be eating here again nor, I don't think, the rest of my group.
This is such a shame as they used to have a great name and be a fab place to eat out, they have really gone downhill.

2  Thank Foolchild
Reviewed 29 January 2013

Went here for an office Christmas do. Having had a look on the website, which stated that this restaurant gave you the 'London Experience' in Haverfordwest, I was intrigued. I think the only 'London' thing about the restaurant was the price. I go to London at least once a month and have at least one meal out each time, so I know what to expect from somewhere that claims to offer the 'London' experience.

Food: Starter, I had a caramelised pear and welsh cheese (couldn't find it) crostini with a pathetic wilted cress salad, that looked as if it had been there for days.
Main Course; ordering from the festive menu I had Pembrokeshire Turkey, with all the trimmings, although no sprouts? Turkey was dry and covered in shop bought granulated gravy (that's what it tasted like anyway). Vegetables were ok, but not as described, for example non 'honey glazed' carrots.
Pudding; a 'plate' of chocolate (mousse, brownie (very dry and crumbly) and parfait), not very good as chocolate was waxy in texture.
Coffee; a double espresso which was downright atrocious.
Decor: The odd thing about this place is that it used to be an old court, so when you walk in, it's like a council office, which is not very good for a restaurant. Lighting; awful. Pretty much fluorescent and far too bright.
Staff; they were ok, but certainly didn't come close to the 'London Experience' being a waiter myself, having worked in London, stacking at the table is a huge no-no! It's also an absolute pet hate of mine, especially in a restaurant. Service was also very slow, considering we were the first booking of the evening, not very good.
In conclusion; £35 for a three course meal and drinks isn't bad, but in the Shire Hall this isn't worth it. Trying to hard is a big thing I noticed. Disappointing

Reviewed 26 January 2013

We ate here and were not impressed, with anything in fact. The food was pretensious, expensive & the room was empty. We wondered how the chef could possibly keep the food fresh with no trade etc, and out of curiosity looked at the 'Scores On The Doors' score when we got home, to our HORROR we found that this restaurant and its sister place next door 'Romanos Italia' had a score of 1 out of 5 which means that they have no idea regarding Health & Safety. How on earth can a restaurant charging what they do be allowed to do so with such a poor score, ridiculous.

3  Thank pete j
Reviewed 10 January 2013

First visit to this restaurant and was in a group. We had already pre- ordered and with only us & another table of 3 in the restaurant service was slow. Food could have been better. Another friends chips came out with her steak & they were overcooked. I had the 8oz Lamb rump and the cabbage was salty. Overall very disappointing for the price we paid. Menu wasn't great to choice from as it didn't have a great choice. Wont recommend this or go again. Water wasn't actually chilled or have ice in the glass jug.

1  Thank Alison_K69