“Lovely food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Decided to try this pub for lunch. Very quiet on the day we were there, but had a very friendly welcome from the barman.
A good choice of steaks, chicken & fish dishes in the menu but we weren't hungry enough for those. So I chose the daily special of the hot baguette with bacon, cranberry & cheese & my mum chose a jacket potato with prawns & side salad
The food was lovely, well presented, hot & very filling.
Our bill with 2 drinks came to £13 was good value for the amount of food we had.

1  Thank taffymacs

Reviewed 6 June 2013

Spent a night at The Mariner Hotel after missing the ferry to Ireland. Not sure where to eat so we stumbled across the street to The Greyhound Hotel for a bit of bar food. Started out in the pub that had a half dozen or so locals there drinking ale and watching football. I bought a round for the boys and the party was on. Very friendly and fun bunch of blokes that the wife and I very much enjoyed meeting and spending time with. After a couple we went upstairs for a bite to eat and the experience could not have been better! We both had the fish and chips and I can say without a doubt that it was one of the best meals I have ever had and the price (about 8 pounds) was to die for (see photos), The fish was fresh, the batter was wonderful, the mushy peas were fresh and flavorful and the chips? Well they were hot and fresh and more than we could eat. The couple running it (he cooking and she serving) were a hoot, The place is very small and probably seats no more than 20 but several tables were filled with locals and they were all very friendly and open. One of the highlights of our trip.

2  Thank Justaguy97420
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We went for an evening meal in the upstairs restaurant above the pub. There was no one else there. We both ordered steaks, trimmings and garlic potatoes. The rib eye steak looked very pale and certainly not grilled - it was tough and tasted very bland. The garlic potatoes were the worst ever - boiled potatoes, with single cream poured over, topped with a mozzarella and garlic mixture. The Rump steak was so tough a steak knife could not even cut through it. Both meals were luke warm, served on cold plates. I would not return to this restaurant again.
To be fair a partial refund was given for the tough rump steak by the extremely chatty waitress.

3  Thank taff77
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Have eaten here three times in the last few months. Once with a family gathering with young children and also with work colleagues. Each time the food has been amazing. The restaurant is clean, tables well laid out and the staff very smart in their shirt and ties.
The food is delicious, cooked to order and there is an excellent choice on the menu. Chips and side orders are plentiful and all reasonably priced.
As the restaurant is upstairs from the pub it's great place to take children and they also have a childrens menu.
All the people I took last night were very impressed and we will all be back.
Easy to park in the next door public car park

Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

I came here for a meal with family and friends, the lady serving us was very upset at the fact that she had only had 20 minuites off her shift and was complaining she had to come back in to work to do the evening meals. I thought what has that got to do with us? The food arrived hot, and then picking up the cutlery I noticed very poor quality as if it came out of a school canteen! Please don't be put off by this the food was very good and reasonably priced, and the place was very nicely decorated and staff very friendly and helpful
I only hope they would change their cutlery as this is all that let the meal down, all the rest was great!