“Great Pub Food”

Friars Vaults
Ranked #29 of 109 Restaurants in Haverfordwest
Price range: US$4 - US$21
Cuisines: British
Description: A family friendly establishment catering to all people. We have a huge menu to suit all tastes, including the largest burger menu in the county!
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Food is always lovely, massive portions! The burgers are especially good, and it's always good value for money and a nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stopped by at this pub for a quick lunch while driving through Haverfordwest on a Bank Holiday weekend. Hadn't expected much more than a pub meal but was impressed by the interior decor and choices on the menu.
Ordered a garlic chicken baguette which, with along with my 5 companions' other dishes, arrived within 20 mins. All servings were much larger than we had expected and well presented - the baguette contained a good amount of fine quality chicken and came with a bit of salad.
Friendly staff and overall good service.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I recently visited the friars vaults on a Sunday just to pop in for food. I found the service disgusting which is rare as I have visited this pub several times before but after this experience I will not be returning.

I went with my wife and two children and ordered from the set menu and from the cavery. I placed the order at the bar, (a burger for my self and fish fingers chips and beans for my son, My wife and daughter were ordering from the cavery and would have to order there meals from the cavery table) but was unable to pay by card, so popped down to the local bank to take cash out.

My order was still put through which I was happy about. On return from the bank I paid the bill and waited at the table. Within minutes my burger had arrived and a plate of chips beans and cheese for my son. My wife and daughter went the cavery to order. I explained to the waitress that I had ordered fish fingers for my son which she went back to check. I was then approached by another member of staff who put down there food ticket and said this is what you ordered, this is your mistake and we don’t have time to make the fish fingers. I was confused at this approach of customer service.

I explained that I didn’t enter the order my self and that I asked for the fish fingers. The staff member went away and spoke with the barmaid who placed the order and returned to me and confirmed that the bar made read the order back to me and I agreed to this and accused me of lying. I asked to speak with the manager and the waitress went away and returned with a refund for my son’s meal. I didn’t ask for a refund and asked what am I suppose to do with the money as my son doesn’t have a meal. I then asked as one of us couldn’t eat to get a refund for my burger and we will leave (my wife and daughter were still waiting at this point for the cavery as they had run out of food) and was told that this was my error and they wont refund the burger.

I said to the waitress you are refusing to feed my son as his meal was taken away and money refunded in which she took personally and explained she has a child of her own and that she is not refusing to feed my son, I was then told to leave by the waitress. I asked to speak with the manager again. I called my wife over from the cavery and told her not to bother. We shared the burger between 4 of us and the manager didn’t come to see us. I asked just before we left to speak with the manager again and was told he is busy and come back in an hour if you want to speak with him. I left my feedback with the waitress which I doubt was passed on to any one.

I was so disappointed as we have used this pub every time we come to west Wales and normally the service is good but on this occasion it ruined the day. I appreciate places get busy but the manner in which we were treated was disgusting will never spend a penny in that pub again. It would have taken 10 minutes to put two fish fingers in the oven but instead there was a lot of back and forth and gossiping amongst staff members about how unprepared they were for the day.

3  Thank Jon M
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We went here for a family lunch midweek and ended up waiting 35 minutes for 4 sandwiches and during that time we witnessed at least 5 family groups be turned away as the waiting time on food became 1 1/2 hours

Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have visited the friars a few times and always been pleased with the food. A huge range of main meals from curry to burgers to sizzlers. Even though the portions are big, the quality and taste of the food is not scrimped on. Service nice and polite. Would not hesitate to return :)