We stayed here December for a nearby friend's wedding. The first room we were offered was terribly dated (it looked nothing like any photos from the website), the floor was sloped towards the bathroom, which had a door that didn't close or lock. The bin still had an empty beer can from the previous occupant, and the state of the bed linen was shocking.
We looked online and saw a 4 star available nearby for £20 less per night than this was charging, so we approached reception and they offered to move us to a more modern room, which looked more like the website photos.
It was serviceable, but the taps were loose, and the cold tap only served luke-warm water. We had no turn-down service despite being there for 2 nights, and the room went from tolerable to red hot overnight, with no option to reduce the temperature. That, combined with the noise from other guests travelling through the thin walls and the waste delivery happening at 5am outside our single-glazed window meant that we didn't sleep well at all.
Friends that were also attending the wedding ordered a Family Room, as they had a travel cot for their young daughter, but the room they were allocated wasn't big enough for their bed, let alone a travel cot. They too got moved to a modern room, with enough room, but it was a bad experience for both parties as a first impression.
On the positive side, the food is fresh and hand-made, and the breakfast is plentiful and tasty enough.
On checking out, we went to pay the bill, which the wedding party had arrange to be at a reduced rate of £80 per night. They had no record of this, so charged us £90 per night (still cheaper than the advertised rate), but when we told them about our stay, and an argument with the owner ensued, they eventually agreed to the price of £70 per night. It was still expensive for the service and room we received, considering we could have stayed at a nearby 4* hotel for the same price.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family run Hotel, situated walking distance to Haverfordwest Town Center. Free parking on site for Patrons use only, can accommodate a coach in the rear car park. Lunches and Evening Meal served in the Bar,and Guest Ales are available. Function bookings available in the Restaurant. Free wifi to our customers. Family rooms are also available. Non residents are also welcome to dine or just have a driink/ coffee at the Hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Hotel Mariners reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mariners Hotel Haverfordwest
- Hotel Mariners Haverfordwest, Wales - Pembrokeshire