“Superb dining” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Haverfordwest
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
“Superb dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

We've just had a superb Sunday lunch in this hidden gem. On the road between Narberth and Haverfordwest, signposted "hotel" you will find a beautiful setting overlooking the Cleddau estuary. The Sunday lunch costs £17 for 2 courses and £22 for 3. We had tian of roast salmon and crayfish tails with 28 day dry aged Welsh sirloin, both delicious. The hotel itself is an 18th century listed coach house with wonderful walks surrounding it, a perfect setting for the many wedding receptions held there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
swansea
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

I booked a 1 night stay via Living Social which seemed good value for ' afternoon tea, 3 course meal bed & breakfast'. Obviously not all was as it seemed.

The sign posts aren't great to get to the hotel, and once you arrive it's not particularly clear either for parking and reception. The reception area isn't a grand entrance, blink and you may miss it, but never the less was met by a very friendy young lady.
The room was very pleasant, a few dead flies in the bathroom which we just flushed! The bathroom was quite cool but being as its an old building with old windows then it's sort of expected. The bed was beautifully comfortable.

We had to walk accross the courtyard to the restaurant, not ideal for women if it were raining, but again it's an odd sort of building so can't really be helped. We arrived to the very quiet but lovely restaurant for our 'afternoon tea' to be told we were only entitiled to 'cream tea' due to our vouchers. Embarassed and stomachs still rumbling we headed back to our room and awaited our evening meal.
It's a very quiet place with no shop or anything in walking distance, we enjoyed the peace and i had taken a chess set and a book to occupy us.
Having booked via a voucher I had guessed the menu choices would not be huge, and I was right. Having opted for the rib eye steak for a £10 surcharge I was really disappointed when it arrived as it was dry, and quite grisly. My partner's duck was chewy too. No one came around during the meal to ask if all was OK, and even when clearing my plate with quite obvious bits of chewed and removed meat, and a fair bit of steak left, the restaurant manager didnt comment or ask if we enjoyed. I told him I was disappointed with my meal and he said sorry.
Breakfast was ok, fresh, and the young chap serving was very friendly.
When we checked out, the receptionist was again very friendly and helpful. I said i was disappointed that the surcharge was still on the bill even though I had told the restaurant manager that the meal was disappointing. She said no note had been left of a complaint and being 'typical British' I replied 'oh ok then , not to worry'. The lady then nicely offered to remove the extra £10 which just left the drink to pay for. I was very happy and thanked her very much.

When we got home I checked my emails for the Living Social details of the voucher I had bought. It quite clearly stated ' Afternoon Tea' and not ' cream tea'. There is a difference, and obviously had I know it was just cream tea then we would have had lunch before we arrived, as it was we were hungry! I dont want to sound just greedy, but I love afternoon tea and have had it at different hotels on numberous occassions.
I sent a short, pleasant email to Slebech Park, just stating what the voucher details stated and that I felt a bit disappointed.
The reply I had from a Mr Phillips , the General Manager was appauling, rude and insulting. I was totally shocked. He insinuated that I had lied to the receptionist and eaten my meal 'in it's entirity', received an upgrade I was not even entitled to and to cap it off I was knocked for not leaving his staff a tip......

I have replied to Mr Phillips with the facts, commending Slebech on the staff I encountered and recommending he attend a course to help him deal with his lack of skills when dealing with customers...customers that certainly won't be returning nor recommending it to friends and family.

Slebech is under a re-vamp, the food certainly needs a bit of tweaking, the staff were lovely, Mr Phillips however, is the thorn in the side of a potential rose of a hotel. Such a shame.
Most people don't complain, British especially. If places dont get any negative feedback though, they can't improve things or learn from mistakes made. I was very suprised that a General Manager wasn't able to accept any critisism.

Room Tip: Beware of the General Manager - it appears you are not allowed to complain. Need car to travel any...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank josiejoswansea
bestinwales, Guest Relations Manager at Slebech Park, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
We always welcome constructive and fair criticism from our guests. We make no apology for being out in the countryside away from the shops and in a National Park where signs are not allow. The whole point of Slebech Park is the peace and quiet of its exceptional natural environment. This we compliment with food sourced from local farms freshly prepared in order bring out the true taste of the ingredients. The menu is the same whether the guest is on a special offer or paying the full price. In a small restaurant one must keep the menu short if the food is to be properly prepared and we are keen to keep to the solid principles of good food or ‘slow food’ as it sometimes referred to.
It is unfortunate that this guest appears to have changed her story. The complaint on the night was that there was fat running through the middle of the meat - but then that is what one should expect with Rib Eye and that is where the taste is – we even comment on this on our menu! Now the complaint is that meat was too dry. We would never recommend ordering our wonderful Pembrokeshire beef ‘well done’ but if you insist the extra cooking will naturally dry the meat out to an extent causing it to lose taste.
We carefully monitor guest reactions at all time. The restaurant manager was on duty that night and is adamant about checking to see that everything was satisfactory. The comments received from the guest at the time were all positive except for the question of the rib eye.
We constantly strive to improve our guest experience but this guest’s comments have not highlighted any problems we can act on. The voucher offer was extremely good value for money and has been well received by many as can be seen from other TripAdvisor comments
Porth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

If your looking for a romantic getaway slebech park is perfect, 5* hotel 5* service felt really spoilt.
Tucked away in the grounds are the ruins of a castle, plenty to explore.
The restaurant was fabulous food was divine, 3 course for £25.

Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Visiting family in nearby Haverfordwest and discovered Slebech via Booking.com and Tripadvisor.
An executive room on a Saturday night for £100 inc full breakfast seemed a very good deal, and so it turned out.
Tucked away alongside the Cleddau estuary the hotel is a stunning location surrounded by countryside.
Arrived arounf 3:00pm and made our way to reception where were met with a very friendly receptionist, unfortunately I can't remember her name, who greeted us, checked us in and showed us to our rooms. The room itself was wonderful with an extra large kingsize bed, separate toilet with basin and another bathroom with bath and large walk-in shower, all with Molton Brown toiletries. Very clean, very smart with flat-screen television, free bottles of water and tea/coffee making. Overall extremely welcoming and comfortable.
We had booked a table in the Park restaurant for 6 people. On arrival we made our way with our guests to the small bar above the restaurant for pre-dinner drinks and were again greeted by a very friendly staff member who appeared to be doing everything other than the actual cooking. However, nothing was too much trouble and we were soon settling in with a glass of very good Chilean Sauvignon Blanc at a very reasonable £14.90 bottle price. The menu was table d'hote at £25 for 3 courses with supplements on some starters and mains. There was a good choice of food and we all made our selections. When the starters were ready we were taken to our table. The food was excellent and such good value for money. The staff ie the receptionist we met earlier and the bar waiter were very attentive and extremely pleasant throughout.
The following morning breakfast was served in the same restaurant and again had a wide choice of cereals, fruit juices and a range of hot and cold foods. We took the Park Breakfast which was cooked to order and was a really good start to the day with local sausages, bacon, eggs and so on. It is apparent that the hotel and restaurant source most of their produce from local suppliers or their own gardens.
Check-out was smooth and on enquiring whether they had secure storage for cycles, we are considering returning later in the year to do some cycling around the area, we were met with a definite yes.
My wife's fianl comment was that she thought it one of the best, if not the best, hotel we have stayed in - and we have stayed in quite a few.
Next time you are planning a trip to this area then I recommend you stay here - currently only has 14 rooms so you may have to book early. If you want a view of the river you will have to pay for a deluxe room - but to be honest you only have to step outside to see it anyway.

Room Tip: Unless you have an overwhelming desire for a river view go for the executive double.
1 Thank DrDavidHampshire
bestinwales, General Manager at Slebech Park, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Thank you for your very comprehensive review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back together with your bikes very soon.
Bridgend, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Whilst visiting we had no idea where to stay and found this online and I am so pleased we did. From the drive up to the hotel which is very grand and the scenery to booking in and being settled within an hour was brilliant. The staff are so friendly andf helpful and the room was stunning. We ended up staying in thr Bridal suit which had fantastic views. Its was veru clean and the communal areas were gorgeous. The fodd - where do i start?! Dinner was stunning. Cooked perfectly and the restaurant was so cosy. The log fire was a fantastic touch. The fgollowing morning there was so many choices for breakfast but I had the Salmon and scrambled eggs. Gorgeous. I would definately recommend it to anyone to visit and I am looking forward to my next visit

Pembroke Dock, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

We went to Slebech Park restaurant as my friend had purchased their Winter Warmer deal, where two people eat two courses for £19.99. Well what a fantastic treat! The open fire was lit, the waiter (Austin) was attentive and friendly and our meals were all delicious. I had the Chicken Pie which was melt in the mouth lovely, with new potatoes and veg cooked to perfection. For afters I had the Creme Brulee and shortbread, which was small but perfectly formed and once again divine. Our party all loved their meals, it was pretty much faultless.Thank you, we'll be back.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Tracy W
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

What a stunning location and amazing history this place has. Our accommodation was in a converted 18th Century Grade II Listed coach house set in a stunning position on the shores of the upper reaches of the tidal Daucleddau Estuary. The rooms were smart, comfortable well appointed and lovely and warm. Our party also had access to a smashing lounge with a huge roaring log fire. The staff at both reception and in the restaurant were most helpful and friendly. The food was excellent and well presented. Although Slebech Park is well off the beaten track, it is nevertheless easy to find (straight down M4, A48, A40 then turn left). There is some fabulous walking on the 600-acre private estate and in the wider Pembrokeshire Coast National Park. The moody atmosphere along the reed-bed sided natural harbour which the coach house overlooks is marvellous, as is that in the ruins of the 12 Century Church which stand behind the coach house. The whole area is a haven for wildlife especially woodcock and snipe. I gather that new owners are set to make a substantial investment adding more rooms, a spa, and updating other facilities. Given the location, this should turn Slebech into a stunning venue and I look forward to returning and seeing the results.

Room Tip: They all appeared equally well appointed
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haverfordwest
Grove of Narberth
#1 of 5 in Saundersfoot
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,064 reviews
Penally Abbey Hotel and Restaurant
Gellifawr Woodland Retreat

Been to Slebech Park? Share your experiences!