“A nice spot”

The Highgate Inn
The Highgate Inn
Ranked #9 of 16 Pembroke B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stumbled across this place on a run out, Very friendly staff and beautiful to sit outside of on a hot sunny day watching the world go by. The locals seemed very friendly too, Just one thing they did not have any non alcoholic Lager but this can be forgiven. Would definatley go there again and maybe next time I'll have a meal as the reviews on food seem to be very good.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Highgate Inn

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We called up to the high gate with the family (6) for sunday lunch yesterday the 09 January the staff were great very pleasant, with very good food very tasty and lots of veg and gravey, top job and a very warm welcome very good!!!! we will be back again thanks Gavin Lloyd

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Never been to the Highgate before and i only live 6 miles away..11 of us had our shift Christmas night out there.All of us agreed it was an excellent night not only because of the food but the friendly service aswell.I believe the owners took it over 18 months ago and refurbished it.A big well done,the owners were very hospitable...Highly recomended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2011

Went for Sunday lunch on the 6th November with my soon to be husband and it was outstanding highly recommend the Roast Beef. Returned again this week for a evening meal/bar meal and it totally hit the spot.
Welcoming pub with great staff!!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2011

My family and I(2 adults 1 child) stayed at this hotel a few weeks ago as we were visiting family in the area. My husband and I stayed in the hotel when it was under the previous owner a few years ago, but we were pleasantly surprised by the refurbishment to the hotel by the new owners. Karen and her partner (I forget his name) gave us a warm, welsh welcome and it is clear to see from the outset the effort they have put into this hotel since they have taken it over. The restaurant is comfortable, clean and modern and the service is second to none by the waiting staff. We ate at the hotel for 2 of our 3 night stay and the food was fantastic. We had lovely, well cooked steak you can tell from the taste it was pan fried to perfection. Our daughter has a egg allergy and the kitchen staff were fantastic in making sure her dietary needs were met. Also all kids meals came with free ice cream, but as the ice cream contained egg, Karen allowed our daughter to help herself to an ice cream from their ice cream/lollies selection so that she was not left out. We were really impressed by this.

We were first to stay in the recently refurbished family room, which was decorated beautifully, with a widescreen TV and had a good selection of tea/coffee/biscuits. Breakfast was gorgeous, cereals, toast, full english, etc.

I would highly recommend the hotel and restaurant to anybody. Really impressed and the restaurant was packed out every night that we were there, that says something in my opinion. The changes made in a year are incredible. I look forward to returning next year to see what else is new.

Thanks Karen and your partner (I'm so sorry I can't remember his name) for a great stay and thanks to your staff and chefs for preparing us some of the best food we have ever tasted.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tash_a_lash
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This restaurant came recommended, Easy to find location, ample parking, nice area, The local village pub, It's quite a friendly place, a long bar with stools & seating opposite, the restaurant dining area behind, high backed, black leather chairs, seat either 4 or 6 to tables, we ate early around 7.30pm, There were only three other couples, in what seemed like a big place. Maybe due to it being earlyish? There were some customers, having drinks in the lounge, even though there was a large group of men, it was quiet and had a nice atmostphere, to sit & chat over drinks or dinner. The waitress was very helpful, 1st impressions was it looked warm & welcoming, well lit & had an airy lounge bar/restaurant, we were both quite hungry and were looking forward to our meal, My hubby had, Pant Mawr Cheese in batter with salad & red onion chutney, it was nice and tasty, he is quite fussy with food, he enjoyed it & would definitely eat this again if offered on a menu. I went for the Pate with crusty bread, onion chutney, this was quite nice, a very strong liver taste on the pate. both starters were served with the same salad garnish,a customary, tomato, cucumber & iceberg sprinkled with some Ranch dressing, ( I think??) The side salad & garnish, leaves a lot to be desired, the tomato's were soft, cucumber limp, with shredded iceberg lettuce, I think it may have been washed and not dried of properly, I seemed to have water on my plate, the coleslaw was the shop bought, cheap variety, that was really sharp, not at all creamy like homemade coleslaw tastes. The chips were the best I'v had around the local area, home made chunky and crispy, delicious, I had the 8oz sirloin, med to well cooked?? "Oh Dear, This was were it went downhill fast.. Just cutting my steak, I could tell it probably wasn't going to be a great steak, but after having a couple of mouthfuls, I had to abandon my steak, for medium to well cooked it looked strangely anaemic, with only a little here and there, when I turned my steak over, it had not been browned at all, it was watery, (I think it may have been pre frozen, as there seemed a lot of watery juice. as if my steak had been poached one side), It was really tough and I had trouble eating the bit I had, pity as I had high hopes for it.
My hubby had the 6oz Filet, Unfortunately his steak was the same, anemic...poached look one side.. medium rare, was quite tough,with a lack of seasoning on the steak before cooking. Not the best cooked steak, we have ever tasted, we always taste each other's food when eating out, to sample as much as we can. We also had the accompanying breaded mushrooms and onion rings, neither of us ate our mushroom, as it looked probably the least appealing, on overall a very good looking plate of food.. The onion rings looked to die for... but my onion ring tasted like battered sausage?? it was the same batter as you get on a chippy sausage, but my onion ring actually tasted of sausage, maybe cooked in the same fryer I thought?? Would we come back, Hmmm.. Sorry but, No, but only because we are quiet people, that hate confrontation and would never dream of complaining. I'm sure had we complained our steaks would have been refired and we would have had the best service, as the staff/ bar/ were lovely, we just don't like complaining & returning food. We just don't return :(

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Honey1601
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
Coach House Hotel
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
The Middlegate Hotel
The Middlegate Hotel
#5 of 10 in Pembroke

Been to The Highgate Inn? Share your experiences!