“Yummy juicy old school burgers and great service”

Shelby Forest General Store
Ranked #4 of 70 Restaurants in Millington
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I spent the majority of the day at Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park and due to a suggestion if I wanted a great burger, go to Shelby Forest General Store.
The store is right before the entrance of the park and the parking lot was packed when I first headed into the park. However I arrived after 4 p.m. the lot was empty.
When going in, was quickly greeted and my order taken. I ordered a double cheeseburger and fries. My order was put in and it was a short wait.
When getting my food, the burger was a nice portion. It was also very juicy and yummy! Just the type of burger you expect from a small local eatry. The fries were hot and crispy. I was full after eating both.
The three employees were very friendly and one was quite pleased when telling her that I came because of a suggestion.
The pricing of the items are very reasonable.
The dining room is small and there is two dining counters. There were books and magazines for the dining room to enjoy. Also there is a nice size patio with additional seating that looks like a great place to dine when warm
One word of advice, make sure to either arrive or call in your order before 4:15 p.m.! They stop preparing hot items around this time. One of the staff advise to call in for the order around this time.
They are open late on Fridays for steaks until 9 p.m.
The only bad part is it's a distance from many places and some may not want to venture so far to dine.
The store also has alot of the feel of a country store where the locals often come.
If I'm at the park again, will return to dine!

1  Thank airlink9972

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We were staying in Millington on business & wanted to try something different. Looking over Trip Advisor, we decided on Shelby Forest General Store. The drive was further than we expected, through some back roads, but well worth it. We were greeted some musicians playing/singing some bluegrass as we walked into the store (much too cold to be outside that night) & then quickly by the husband owner, Doug, who was behind the counter. Everyone there was so outgoing & friendly, including the staff as well as a few local diners who happened to be there. Our server let us know that she had the Friday menu was in her head, & gave us some ideas of what to eat & we took her advice, varying from my usual "healthy" diet & had the fried shrimp & my hubby enjoyed a steak (Friday is steak night). After we had ordered, Kristin, the wife owner, came over & introduced herself. Before leaving, we enjoyed listening to the music & talked a little while to Doug, let us know that Friday was the only evening (at least during this time of year) that they're open later than 5pm...thank goodness for us. We recommend visiting Shelby Forest General Store if you're anywhere in the area, but be sure to check their hours so you know they'll be open for you!

Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

We visited the state park and stopped in for an ice cream. Wonderful atmosphere for a country experience.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

This store is on the list of historic places. Built in the 1930's, the owners have worked hard to maintain the old time country feel. The food here is mostly fried, your basic southern comfort food. It is not gourmet, but it is exactly what you'd expect to find in a country store. It has about the same items you find in a modern convenience store. They have bait for fishing and a large supply of disks for the nearby disk golf course. I also enjoyed the live music on the deck out front. We plan to return on a Friday night for "steak night" and bluegrass music. It is just a nice, relaxed place to go and kick back and feel good about being from the South.

1  Thank ladybd
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Discovered the Shelby Forest General Store on a drive out to Shelby Forest . Great old time atmosphere with live entertainment Bluegrass music, outside on the front porch. The burgers had that home made flavor and plus everyone was friendly .

1  Thank Linda G