All reviews walled garden conservatory restaurant evening meal tourist information bed was comfortable pudding tea and coffee the ground floor lovely room weekend break double room well worth a visit stayed for two nights st david s breakfast was excellent high street west wales
Reviewed 23 June 2018

Had a meal there on 21st June. The meal was excellent but the Dessert Slate to Share was amazing. Plenty for two but we were told that sometimes they are ordered for one. How anybody could eat all that after a main course we couldn't believe it. We always go there for at least one night when in St Davids and it never disappoints.

Stayed: June 2018
GroveStDavids, General Manager at Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a nice review.

The dessert sharer is great dessert, we do have guests order it on their own. Finishing it on their own is a different matter.

I am glad you enjoyed, hopefully we will see you again.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Stayed here on a Sunday night in June, check in great ground floor room was nice,
Had a few drinks at the bar (San Miguel lovely pint) .evening meal very disappointing, as it was a Sunday must of been the chefs night off. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice.
Must have been the only pub not showing any of the world cup.
All members of staff were very polite and made you feel welcome.
I would stay again but would not have an evening meal.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and that breakfast was Very good.

I am sorry about your evening meal, even if my Head Chef is not there we should still be sending out good food. I will discuss this with my Kitchen team.

Its always nice to hear that the team made you feel welcome.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 20 June 2018

i want to be kind to the Grove because my wife and I have eaten and drank here before but this was our first time staying overnight.
The hotel is in a great location for visiting St Davids with a just a brief walk into the centre.
There is good parking and large grounds outside.
The downstairs bar and restaurant area is bright and fresh and all the staff we encountered were warm and friendly.

Going upstairs to our room was a bit like going to a different hotel. The stairs and floorboards creaked as we walked along.
The room was big enough with TV, kettle etc but the old fashioned furniture and mould around the window weren't to my taste.
The temperature controller on the shower was visibly falling off. I had to screw it back on to make it secure. Surely the person who cleaned the shower must have seen this?

The room was airless without air-conditioning meaning we had to have the window open. This, combined with the poorly fitting curtains meant that we were woken very early (5-ish) by the sunlight and the very noisy crows that have lived here for years.

Breakfast was a nicely presented table full of the usual juices, fruits, cereals etc and we were given a menu for our cooked options.

I wasn't keen on the sausages which tasted 'soapy' to me - a strange taste, not associated with a sausage.

The table surface was sticky to the touch, as was the windowledge. The surfaces needed more than a wipe with a damp cloth - they need cleaning properly.

Having said this, I would stay here again, either overnight or for a meal. As I said, I want to be kind but I have to be honest - it needs a bit more attention to detail.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback.

I completely agree regarding the difference to upstairs. Our hotel is in planned for a full refurbishment, and is in the final stages of planning at the minute.

I am happy that all of the team members were warm and friendly when you stayed with us.

With the sausages, I do understand that the taste can be an acquired one. They are made with our SA Gold Bitter, to be unique to Brains.

The tables are something that we are sorting, by having them sanded and re covered.

I am glad that you still enjoyed with your few issues.

Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2018

Very disappointed to learn that the menu only consists of food that has caused animal suffering, death or both. DISGRACEFUL. The only option I could have was plain chips. I felt like I was causing them inconvenience when indeed it is the other way round. I explained to a member of staff how unacceptable it is to not have any cruelty free options on the menu.The member of staff who assisted me tried to justify it by telling me that the menu options they provide is the fault of the company known as 'Brains'. This is unacceptable as it is actually the choice of members of staff responsible for 'The Grove' what foods they would like and what meals they would like to serve. I thought it was the chef's responsibility to make the meals, is it not????

I wasn't even given a full portion of chips. I was given a small side dish worth. I literally had about 15 chips! I regret not taking a picture of them. Literally about a handful. I was given poor service as an individual as they gave my partner a generous portion of chips as a side with his sandwich.

If you enjoy to sit in the sun to eat your food within a noisy environment, WITHOUT being able to relax properly then The Grove is the place for you as they seem to think it is normal to hire somebody with a noisy strimmer to cut the ( large ) garden at lunch time hours. I approached the person cutting the grass to find out what the deal was with that, he literally said "I should be doing this at 8 in the morning". I and judging by the look on the faces of the others sitting in the garden could not agree more.

The Grove have a sign outside stating that dogs are welcome, but what it should say is 'SORRY WE DO NOT CATER FOR ANIMAL LOVERS, ALTHOUGH YOUR DOGS ARE WELCOME'....What a contradiction.

Overall I deffinetley would NOT recommend visiting 'The Grove' for a place to visit. This is a shame as it has alot of great potential. I shall be contacting the company 'Brains' regarding this matter as 'The Grove Hotel' like to blame the unwelcoming hostility on them.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
GroveStDavids, General Manager at Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to leave your Feedback.

On all our menu's we have vegetarian Dishes 9 in total with a mixture of different offerings including Risotto, Pizza and Curry. We will always help to tailor a meal for none meat or fish eating customers, by removing the meat or fish if requested.

Unfortunately being part of a Chain, we are unable to change our menu on a daily basis. Our Head Office is also adding some specific Vegan dishes to our next menu launch to add extra options for Vegetarians also. I am sorry about the chip portion, but the portion your partner had with his sandwich is a smaller portion to the side portion. There may have been a mix up on which one was which.

We are dog friendly in our bar area, and welcoming to animal lovers also. We try to be sympathetic to everyone's different beliefs.

I will speak to the gardeners about times they do there maintenance, unfortunately with us being a Hotel we can't start to early with Guests in the Hotel. They are very cautious of where they do it while here not to disturb guests. I am sorry this has caused an issue, and will speak to them about it.

Again thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback.

Rob Dymond

Reviewed 9 June 2018

Very good location to explore St David’s and the surrounding are.
Friendly, helpful and attentive staff who seemed to enjoy us as much as we enjoyed them.
The food was well presented with breakfast being a highlight.
Room was spacious with tea and coffee provided as were fresh towels each day of our four day stay.
However, we think that to get the best out of this excellent hotel and team, Brains should invest in refreshing the rooms.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank digbyass
GroveStDavids, General Manager at Grove Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Thank you for your lovely review.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us. I am glad you enjoyed your breakfast and stay with us.

There some plans for the site to have some TLC. So hopefully next time you visit we will be even better than this visit.

See you again soon.