“St David's, not Haverfordwest!”
Review of The City Inn

The City Inn
Ranked #15 of 18 St Davids B&B and Inns
Newcastle-upon-tyne
“St David's, not Haverfordwest!”
Reviewed 9 August 2012

I was pleased to have a large, en-suite room on the top floor (so no noise from the lively bar downstairs), and didn't care that the view was simply on to other houses. A very comfortable night's sleep, and only a few minutes' walk from the city centre and the Cathedral.

What really raised this out of the 'average' category for me was the food; excellent value pub-grub (the chips were phenomenal) washed down with a good local pint or two, and served by cheerful staff. Breakfast was equally good the next morning. I'll certainly stay there again if my travels take me back that way!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank PhysPhil

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I was there for 5 nights (with a group that had most of the rooms at the Inn reserved). I had one of the non-ensuite rooms (room 2). The two non-ensuite rooms plus the shared bathroom have a fire door separating them from the main hallway so it was almost like a private 3-room suite. It was less expensive than the ensuite rooms, plus only up one flight of stairs.

Other positive things: it was a good sized room for one person, with a full-sized bed, a nice towel rack, the tea tray included biscuits and hot chocolate, there were lots of pillows, the bathroom had a great shower!! and the place was very clean. Also, the breakfast was quite good, the staff attentive, and the packed lunches they made for us daily (as we were on a hiking trip) were also good.

Negatives: lumpy mattress, pale purple curtains that let in the daylight (a problem in June when the sun rises at 4-something a.m.), creaky floors/doors (it's an old building), and for some people the pub on the ground floor of the Inn was a problem friday and saturday night, with noisy people talking loudly late at night. My room faced away from the revelers, apparently, because I never heard anything (and I'm a light sleeper).

The City Inn itself is located a very short walk to the center of town and there's a nice grocery store just about across the street, great for buying snacks.

Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank gelana_99
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2012

One night stay....received a warm welcome and was shown to my room. It was clean and comfortable with en suite shower and toilet. I then went through to bar where the service was excellent. I had several drinks here and ordered food from the evening menu which arrived promptly and tasted very good. The locals in the bar were very friendly too.
Breakfast was excellent with plenty to eat and served up quickly.

Would recommend this hotel and would like to stay here again but for longer next time.

Thanks again

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank AndyBaxter88
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2011

Had a great stay, Weather wasn't too good, but the accomodation was great.Friendly & helpful staff.Lovely food.
A good location only a short walk from St David's breathtaking cathedral,
Will be booking to stay again next year!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank spuddog
Staffs
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We stayed for just one night. The room had a brilliant view as we were at the top of the building. It was a standard room with the usual offerings but the mattress was very thin and lumpy. The bathroom was a bit dated but clean. The service at the bar took ages as the lady did not know how to use the till, when my pot of tea did eventually arrive, it was complete with a hair in the milk jug!
We didn't eat there in the evening as we went into town to eat and drink, arriving back at the hotel about 11.30pm we found it packed with party revellers, but as we were on the top floor (no lift) we did not hear them. We found breakfast very tasty and plenty of it, although the waitress did not wait untill my husband had finished his cereal before bringing his cooked breakfast, that then, sat going cold on the empty table next to us.
For the money, in an expensive area, it was ok and only a few minutes walk intow town.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank daffyStaffs
wales
Reviewed 4 January 2010

if you are travelling through the picturesque and historic city o fSt. Davids in PembrokeshireWales; The City Inn is not the place to stay.
having travelled from the USA to visit home and look for accommodation for a family party in 2010, we were very disappointed to be treated so badly at The City Inn.
I arrived ten minutes late for breakfast, (they only have a 30 minute window) they sat me at a dirty table and could only offer me cornflakes, they refused to make anything else.
They threatened me with the police when I refused to pay for the breakfast I didn't get, they were racist and very unhelpful; I would not recommend this place to anyone that was hoping to stay in a warm and welcoming hotel, as this certainly was not.

4 Thank WalesGeoff