“Quite possibly the best hostel we've ever stayed in.”

The Old School Hostel
“Quite possibly the best hostel we've ever stayed in.”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Stayed for four nights. Great place, clean with a cool vibe. Great location in village near the coastal path. The proprietor, Chris is friendly and helpful. We highly recommend this hostel and hope to return in the future.

• Stayed May 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Actually we were planning to find a place on st. Davids and very accidentally we've been introduced to old school so we had to take a bus for half an hour from st. Davids to Terfin(pronounced Trevine), bus ride was crazy, riding in cute small bus in completely natural road. Village is located in top of the hill close to coast, hostel is managed by lovely couple and very much towards sustainability and each room is designed as a character. Very clean and comfortable. Dont forget to ask for amazing breakfast and lunch box for extra 6£!

• Stayed May 2014
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is an excellent budget b and b in an amazing location, minutes from the coast path and within easy reach of Fishguard and St Davids. Good food in the village if you want to eat out, or a stones throw from the nearest Spar, for petrol and groceries.
The owners, Chris and Sue are perfect hosts, friendly and helpful and clearly make the comfort of their guests a top priority.
My room (for one) was warm (with an adjustable radiator). I had my own shower ,nice and hot,and the bed was very comfortable.
Their home cooked breakfast with porridge was great too!
I hope to return here as soon as I can. It is a gem.....

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Jenny J
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We booked two nights and ended up staying five. It is by far the comfiest, friendliest and best located hostel we know! You can feel and see how the owners care for their guests and the hostel itself and about the environment by the way :). We got the feeling they literally think of everything! Trefin is a beautiful little village right on the coast, with a pub and a cute café serving delicious english breakfast. Its the perfect location to start long walks to St. David's or simply along the terrific coast on the coastal path. We love and miss Chris and Sue and we absolutely recommend this hostel!

Room Tip: Every room is designed and furnished individually and with a lot love for detail!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I had such a lovely 3 night stay at The Old School Hostel in Trefin. To get there I took the train to Fishguard & Goodwick and then the 413 bus straight to Trefin (£3 single). Helpful travel instructions were provided by Sue at the hostel by email beforehand, all very straightforward. I booked a double bed with an en-suite shower and thats what I got, it was perfect to come back to after long walks on the coast path. I found the hostel quiet at night which was good. I requested breakfast each day which was great and a packed lunch each day too which included the best sandwiches! It was all so easy. The nearest Spar shop at a petrol station is about a mile away and I bought some other groceries there too. There is a free cash point in there too. I ate at The Ship Inn in the evening and really enjoyed it, the food was good and friendly people. I walked to The Sloop Inn one day too at Porthgain, not far. The kitchen at the hostel is brilliantly equipped it would be great to self cater too. The Hostel is about 10-15 mins walk to the coast path and a really beautiful part of it too, it was great to explore the area from Trefin. Sue and Chris are really warm and friendly and work hard at accommodating all the guests. It was great to chat to them and other people staying there in the communal areas. The only thing that I would do differently is to plan my arrival from 5pm onwards as that is when the hostel take in new arrivals. I'd really like to go back for another break from city life and I look forward to it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We Stayed in this charming hostel in the summer. We had never stayed anywhere like this before it was great. Sue And Chris (sue in partially) was one of the kindest hosts we have come across in many years only thing that was bad was the down stairs toilet smelt like a public loo and was could not be used as I was partially bad.
It was my daughters birthday while we where there and that evening when we returned we came back to the room and they had decorated it with balloons and banners which made her very happy especially as we through that they where not big children fans as we had to keep them as quiet as possible . if you are not on a walking holiday we seriously suggest you have a car because it is in the middle of nowhere and there is only so much you can do in Trefin.
Only one thing to remember is that this is a eco lodge so we had to take our rubbish to other places so that we didn't feel guilty as we had a lot as we where a big family and it takes a long time to have to sort through everything as every item has a different bin
we suggest that you do not go to the local pub as on the last night we visited it and my girls all got serious food poising from the chicken curry. One of the nicest things was my girls are big runners they seriously liked running around the edge of the cliff
another suggestion is that you buy your own breakfast it is nice but a big rip off as you can buy the same things from the supermarket and it is cheaper
Good Work Sue and Chris I think my husband and I will return but leave the children as I don't think they will get used to not having toilets in the room !

Room Tip: Get the biggest room possible as they are TINY !
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lour199
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The Old School Hostel is what you need for completing a walking day on the coast: Cosy but tidy, arty and ecological with friendly and open minded owners. I really enjoyed the short time in the hostel - as much as the porridge in the morning and the chocolate for the walk:).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trefin
Twr y Felin Hotel
#1 of 21 in Fishguard
Penrhiw Hotel
Penrhiw Hotel
#3 of 18 in St Davids

Been to The Old School Hostel? Share your experiences!