“Sadly, hated every minute there.”

The Corran Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 15 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Sadly, hated every minute there.”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Went with a large party for Sunday Lunch. We could not eat at the appointed time, and when we did eventually sit, we were on a table for 10, which should only have a maximum of 8, to enable your arms to move whilst eating. Also, we had to endure 2 hours of " entertainers " singing just behind us, through a loud speaker. That was the worst, it was painfully loud. We could not have any conversation, so out meeting was wasted. The gents toilet that I used had a light bulb missing, no mirror or coat hanger - put your expensive coat on the floor. The dining room needed a clean, unless the cobwebs were fresh, and it also has 6 huge air-con units attached to the ceiling, but they have not been encased, so you are looking at motors and pipes. The decor needed a freshen up and missing plaster needs sorting. The bar was poorly designed with regard to foot traffic, so people had to continually push past to get to the nearest toilets. While seated for food, one could look straight into the laundry store which looked like a portacabin. A gent dressed as a chef was in and out of the dining area, actually serving and doing other jobs, rather than keeping to the kitchen. With a major overhaul and correct staffing, it could be a great place, but at the moment, its not being run by professionals.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Dave K
MGBPR1, Manager at The Corran Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 24 April 2013
Dear Dave,
Thanks for letting us know that your recent trip to The Corran Resort & Spa did not meet your expectations. We value our customers’ opinions and I would like to apologise for your less than satisfactory experience with us.
On the Sunday that you visited, the hotel was hosting a Classic Car Rally within the grounds but unfortunately our ‘Great British’ weather forced the entertainment and outdoor catering inside rather than being in the courtyard as planned. We have learned lessons about having contingency plans in place for outdoor events and I’m sorry that the entertainment was not what you had been expecting.
I have alerted our maintenance and housekeeping teams about the points you raise in your review and they are being addressed as a matter of urgency.
I would like to invite you back to The Corran Resort & Spa on another occasion and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly. I hope to see you soon.
Best Wishes,
Nick Evans
Manager
The Corran Resort & Spa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We happened upon the "Corran Resort & Spa" on Saturday not realising that Hurst House was "no longer" and enjoyed a really lovely evening. The interior is now extremely smart but still cosy and welcoming with lots of seating areas (a pleasant change from how it used to be configured). We received an exceptionally warm welcome, the staff were courteous and efficient and the food was of a very good standard. Also very importantly, it was busy! We will definitely be returning - probably frequently!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bronwen B
Pembrokeshire
Reviewed 10 April 2013

We didn't stay at The Corran but booked for afternoon tea last weekend. My partner loves cream and scones so after receiving the afternoon tea menu £16.95 for two we thought we would book. The place was lovely and the staff attentive but unfortunately when the afternoon tea arrived the scones/cream and jam were nowhere to be seen!! We had some mini sandwiches,and a selection of cakes - including only one very small cream and fruit one which we had to cut in half! There was no individual sponges and shortbreads as on the menu neither. There was meant to be a choice of tea stated on the menu but I wasn't asked which one I would like. When we asked where the scones etc were the young foreign waiter couldn't understand us so I asked the english one and he went to see the chef and came back and told us the chef hadn't baked that morning - obviously the cakes weren't fresh then!

So we thought that the price was a bit much considering the scones etc were missing - we paid up and left.

We would consider going back for sunday lunch after reading about the yorkshire puddings!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank PembrokeshireAnnie
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I booked a night bed, breakfast, 3 course meal and treatment each for a joint birthday surprise for my mum and aunt and the feedback was great. Stunning location, beautiful buildings and décor, luxurious accommodation (barn), great food and really friendly and helpful staff. I was a bit disappointed when I found Hurst House had been taken over and rebranded but it seems even better than I had originally expected, so much so that me and my husband will be going ourselves to celebrate our anniversary in December, cant wait!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank frexibubble
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Mister T and me having survived 34 years of wedded bliss by yesterday wandered down to the recently rebranded Corran Resort and Spa. The setting is lovely as is the style and decor. It was a beautiful if rather crisp spring day and the resort looked very inviting with open fires and comfy armchairs. The restaurant is a bright conservatory looking out to a walled garden with loads of potential. Service was extremely attentive almost to the point of intrusive and the courses came rapidly. Mister T had the gravadlax with cockle butter, home made brown bread followed by the poached hake with chilli sauce. Both dishes were to Mister Ts satisfaction, this house being almost a fish free zone much to his chagrin. For me to start a goats cheese and red onion tart with balsamic dressing - very tasty although I am not certain the pastry cases were home made. I then had the beef and an enormous Yorkshire pudding which was quite light. I am usually disappointed by restaurants' Yorkshire puds as Mister T makes the best ones in Carmarthenshire. Mr T ended his meal with the apple petal tart and fresh custard (creme Anglaise) which he enjoyed very much despite not being a puddings man. The cherry clafoutis however was a very sad affair and not to be recommended. It was grey, soggy and tasteless and topped by a disappointing blueberry ice cream. Very icy and I nearly hit the ceiling when I bit into a frozen blueberry, made my amalgams jangle. (When i explained why i hadn't eaten it the waiter very kindly offered to get me an alternative dessert but I didn't really fancy the other options). There was a great pianist/singer which created a lovely atmosphere and we each received a small Easter egg from Pembertons on departure. We thought it well worth the £24 a head. Mr T has asked me to add that his experience would have been enhanced by the presence of some real ale!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank M4mgu
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Having visited when it was Hurst House, I recently returned with my Mum for lunch on a Sunday. The food was lovely and the atmosphere was very friendly and relaxed. We had a long lazy afternoon there & the receptionist showed us around all of the rooms. Always eager to return!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank laurenh15
Also consider these accommodations in or near Laugharne
Grove of Narberth
Best Western Lamphey Court Hotel & Spa
The Plough Inn
The Plough Inn
#1 of 3 in Llandeilo

Been to The Corran Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!