“honeymoon”
Review of The Brown's

The Brown's
Ranked #1 of 15 Laugharne B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 May 2014

hotel was fantastic beautiful rooms and the music was lovely..had a very comfortable stay. the sister pub never did food so was a shame but they certainly are friendly in thier had an amazing time definetly recommend

Room Tip: fern room is stunning
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon T, General Manager at The Brown's, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Cheers and thanks for your review.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

In a small, pretty seaside town famous because of Dylan Thomas - and in his centenary year - you would assume Browns Hotel (where DT used to drink) would have pulled out all the stops. But no!
The rooms are pleasant, clean and quite well kitted out but what it lacks is service, professionalism and attention to detail. No coat-hangers in our room (we asked for them and they arrived in an hour); two lights not working in the room (one got fixed); toiletries not replaced (ask again).
Another guest had no working bath or shower. And a cooked breakfast was a variable commodity; it might arrive over-cooked (my wife's) or undercooked with semi raw potatoes (mine).
It's all a bit Fawlty Towers. The problem is that its run largely by youngsters from the village; pleasant enough but not trained; no uniforms and no experience. Lots of them, but it's all so inefficient.
And all this for £95 a night double B&B. Never again.

Room Tip: wait until it improves
4  Thank Wales25

Hmmm.... in amongst the good reviews (we've just been award a Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence) sits the odd review like this. Some people have commended me on my responses to such reviews, indeed many have booked a stay based on them! Now, I think the staff in Browns are fantastic... so I'm curious as to why you want our staff to be older and in uniform. Brown's isn't some anonymous chain hotel but a very special place, and Laugharne doesn't have a surfeit of older professional hotel workers that we deliberately don't employ. This is what other people say about our staff: 'welcoming and friendly', 'welcoming and friendly' (again), 'friendly and helpful', 'helpful and friendly' (again), 'charming and helpful' etc. etc. That's good enough for me. Brown's Hotel isn't for everybody... but we love it, and thankfully, so do most people.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Booked to stay here as a treat for our first wedding anniversary as I had visited Laugharne years ago and really liked the village. Also heard good things about the hotel in a travel magazine and loved the Dylan Thomas connection. We were here the week after the Dylan Thomas anniversary celebrations and there was still a nice buzz with all the locals talking about it and it was great to recognise the hotel as where they had filmed a lot of the BBC Wales updated version Under Milk Wood. Even recognised the hotel manager from one of the scenes. Arrived at the hotel early parked in the hotel car park around the side of the hotel and entered through the back of the hotel. Staff greeted us were friendly and helpful. We were checked in quickly and shown to our room and the receptionist demonstrated how to work the heater. Then explained that from 3pm there was live music in the hotel bar and we could get food and we were more than welcome to come down. The decor was lovely. We absolutely loved the room, we were in Fern Hill on the first floor at the top of the stairs. At first I was worried it might be noisy but we heard nothing at all, bathroom with free standing bath tub, sash windows, high ceilings, locally made toiletries, tea, coffee facilities bottle of water and biscuits. Bed was very comfortable. Room was spotlessly clean. We had what I think was an interconnecting door in the room it was locked and it didn't bother us. We went down to the bar for a few drinks and listened to the guy singing acoustic stuff on his guitar he was very good. Lovely atmosphere, mixture of locals and guests. Thought two pints were a bit expensive but it was worth it for the chilled atmosphere. Nice historic display of Dylan's work and photos in the bar really tastefully done. We didn't eat here as we were not hungry at the point so headed out after the music finished and the bar cleared around 5pm for a wander to the Boathouse and Castle which are beautiful. Decided to eat later. Big mistake! You can't get food in Laugharne on a Sunday evening. After our walk we wandered in to The Three Mariners Browns sister hotel, it was rocking most of the people that had been in Browns bar were now in here. Good atmosphere music plenty of people but were told they were not serving food nearest place that was was in St Clears 5 miles away. So we did the only thing we could do and that was have more drinks and enjoy ourselves. We ended up taking part in the quiz night and had a great time. The manager got a load of us together in a team and we had a good night and very late! Good fun and everyone was friendly. Most of the people in the bar all knew each other or worked at the hotels. Breakfast at Browns was good served until 10am.hotel a anger came in for a chat in the morning to make sure we were happy with everything. Nice touch the staff were very nice and down to earth no stuffiness. Choice of juices, cereals full Welsh breakfast and other cooked selections from the menu. Breakfast served in the hotel bar area. I can imagine how Under Milk Wood was allegedly based on this town. It is a strange beautiful little place and I thoroughly recommend a visit. Make sure you stay at Browns though as nothing else in the village looked anywhere near as good. Three Mariners was good for a night out but I would have been disappointed staying there I'm sure. Will defiantly return, but will try a Saturday night and make sure we book a place for food. If you visit West Wales it's a must if you love history and culture, a stylish hotel and a nice bar and live music.

Room Tip: We booked a large double which was Fern Hill and very nice. Believe you can pay extra for larger roo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Jon T, General Manager at The Brown's, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

What can we say? Thanks for your lovely review! The team work very hard and it's great when our efforts are appreciated. Hope to see you again!

Jon T

Reviewed 9 May 2014

The hotel was very busy with media people and cast members etc. for the Dylan Thomas Under Milk Wood (UMW )revival but despite this still managed to get a room for 2 nights ( Sunday and Bank Holiday Monday ) ; staff were a bit pressed at times but helpful and friendly.

Room very well appointed and stocked with designer tea, coffees , toiletries etc.

Wide choice for Breakfast and portion so large you dont need to eat again until Dinner.

Value for money IMO

Room Tip: Like we did pay that bit extra to stay in a Browns Suite
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks Desi27, hope to see you again sometime.

Jon T

Reviewed 8 May 2014

As already reported, I wish I had checked here first. But by booking through Browns own site for a single room, I was turned away at reception and pointed down the road to the "New" Mariners Pub, where apparently I would be staying. This is just a normal Pub with a few rooms, and non of the finesse advertised for Browns.
The attic room I was allocated had no windows, a dangerous shower, poor plumbing and few of the listed extras that the Browns website claim that every room has, no Digital Radio, no Digital bar?, no range of complimentary Welsh amenities?. WiFi link was fine, but there was no room to spread my lap top and paperwork out.
A knock at the door a few minutes later informed me that Breakfast was going to served back up the road in Browns. A walk in the rain the next morning worked up an appetite for a cooked breakfast, nothing to shout about, no fruit, just something you would get in a standard B & B for half the price.
But the Bar was only laid out for 3 tables for breakfast, so the main Hotel was not full, so why was I shoved down the road to the Mariners?
I would have complained before I left, But The Mariners was locked and in darkness, and the receptionist at Browns still had her coat on as I was leaving.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Paul W
Jon T, General Manager at The Brown's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Hi Paul,

I was sorry to read your review. I am confused by what happened. If you booked for Browns and we weren't full then you should have stayed in Browns. If you stayed in the Mariners then you should have been charged the Mariners rate, which is much cheaper than Browns. Obviously they are two separate standards of accommodation... and Browns extras are not available in the Mariners. But you can't find accommodation anywhere at half the price of the Mariners.

Very curious! Please email me: jon@browns-hotel.co.uk and I will try and get to the bottom of it.

Cheers,

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel has a great history and it was particularly enjoyable to stay here in the 100th anniversary of Dylan Thomas's birth. It has been tastefully renovated whilst keeping its original feel. The bedrooms are tasteful and very comfortable with good toiletries and nice teas and coffee. The breakfast was substantial with a great veggie option. The service was very good. We enjoyed a drink in the bar which had a wide selection of Welsh drinks with some particularly good whiskers. Would recommend a stay here in 2014.

Room Tip: They are all individually decorated.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks so much for you lovely review.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I have dreamt of Browns Hotel since I was a teenager, in love with Dylan Thomas's poetry. When offered the opportunity to stay there, to accompany my partner, who was gigging in the hotel, I was very excited. Laugharne is a magical, mystical place, unlike anywhere else I have ever been. It feels suspended in another time and place, almost melancholic, dreamy, other worldly. Browns hotel has the same slightly mythical quality. I felt as if I was on a stage set, that any moment someone might call for action, lights would dim and figures from the past would saunter in, shouting greetings and ordering their pints. Browns has been sensitively and creatively renovated by someone with a real eye for texture, imagery and comfort, yet it retains a homely, welcoming feel that very few hotels achieve. The staff were charming and helpful, the rooms so comfortable and luxurious. I really liked the added touches such as tea pig tea bags and the wifi password ready in the room. Breakfast was delicious. I had the vegetarian cooked one which was so huge I couldn't finish it. I would have been disappointed to stay anywhere except Browns in Laugharne so even if it hadn't been wonderful I would probably have loved it. That it is such an amazing hotel just added to the magic.

Room Tip: I stayed in one of the "single" rooms, actually it would have been fine for a young, slim...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fern Hill Angel,

Thanks so much for your lovely review.

Best wishes,

Jon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Laugharne
Three Rivers Hotel
#2 of 15 in Laugharne
The New Three Mariners
The New Three Mariners
#13 of 15 in Laugharne

Been to The Brown's? Share your experiences!