“Important space observatory here in UK”

The Spaceguard Centre & Observatory
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Knighton
Reviewed 5 April 2014

I didn't even know there was a space observatory at Knighton until I went on a trip arranged for our local guides. This was a most rewarding experience as I enjoy listening to technical experts and Jay Tate certainly provides a polished presentation about how planets are formed and are then battered by asteroids. With a planaterium to show the birth of stars and with various samples of moon rock and meteorites Jay gave such a coherent explanation of what whizzes around our universe that it was needless to ask any questions.

The observatory is perched high in the Powys hills so do take refreshments and sit outside to enjoy the earthly view after the tour. Fascinating and highly recommended.

3  Thank abmaybe

Reviewed 18 February 2014

I booked with the Spacecentre for Valentines weekend as a treat for my Partner who loves all things space related! I booked in for a private evening tour and it was definetley worth it!. We were greeted by Ann Tate - a lovely lady and who clearly is as passionate about the centre as her Husband John.
During the tour we were able to ask lots of questions and John is incredibly enthusastic, and interesting. I am suprised to read any terrible reviews on here -and from me - DONT believe them. He was not rude, nor sexist ! ( cannot believe i have seen this on a review) - He made a joke about offering me a chair to sit on and i did not feel offended I was grateful! I needed to sit to take it all in!! Also seeing reviews saying he was eccentric - some may describe him that way - I would say incredibly intelligent and knows his stuff. I agree if you want things for kids to press buttons - take them to the science museum in London, which is designed for that kind of experience. The spacecentre is a working enviroment not a museum full of push buttons ( although the dome planatarium was very nice to sit in and learn to understand how planets and stars are made)
The place itself is very facinating and the work they do is incredible. It was good to see the cetnre is in constant change, meaning information is up to date, and also currently as you will see outside, being developed further for the new telescope to be installed.
Over all I would say that our evening tour went above and beyond. We didnt feel hurried, or like an inconvenience,- and bear in mind they do not get paid, and we took up their own time on a very stormy night!
After the tour we donated in the shop/ and bought a gift mug ( please either buy something or dontate the funding they get is through admissions and gift shop only) Ann was also freely answering questions that we forgot to ask on the way round.
I would like to say thank you to Ann and John for an informative evening and urge people to visit and support the important work they are doing at the spacecentre.

4  Thank Natalie183
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Fascinating tour and full of really interesting facts. No question was too silly to ask and we were made very welcome and treated to 90 minutes of information that made me just want to learn more!

Well done for bringing this venture into the public domain and for sharing your knowledge enabling a better understanding of what is a fascinating subject.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

I found this tour really interesting and informative. I walked away having learnt a few things and at the same time had a great time in doing so. I feel it is well worth the visit and the fee for the tour and anyone can find the spaceguard centre fascinating.

1  Thank clair07
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked an evening tour for my husbands birthday. A terrible, rainy/windy/foggy night, but managed to find it - bit of an adventure on the narrow lanes, but arrived safely to be met by a lovely couple. The tour lasted just under two hours and was full on information on meterorites/comets/asteroids and what the station did and are hoping to achieve. Very enthusiastic and relaxed. The tour was taken by Jay, an enthusiastic man who knew what he was talking about and kept us all interested, especially the dome and the moving floor!
Learned a lot and I will be grateful that they did this for the six of us.

3  Thank derwenna1