“Faultless”

Ranked #5 of 6 Llanbrynmair B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Faultless”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed at The Old School House with my wife and nephew whilst were in the area for a mountain biking skills course and cannot recommend it enough. Karen was very jovial and friendly and whilst I didn't see much of her over the stay, my wife spent quite a while talking to her whilst being plied with tea and biscuits in the conservatory!

Both rooms seemed quite good, no complaints there. Would say that the shower in the en-suite room is probably better than the other one (had a bit of a problem with the shower curtain not sealing against the edge of the bath properly) but that room has the advantage of a bath, rather than just a shower.

I don't eat breakfast, but there was an excellent selection of fruit teas. More than I even realised had existed up to that point. I don't specifically recall the breakfasts the others had, but I don't remember any complaints about them. Coffee was delicious too.

My wife described it like staying at "a good friend's house", which can't be bad. On a random note, the chickens were quite entertaining, with one repeatedly trying to get into the conservatory via a small gap under the window.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Stayed here for one night on the way to a ferry crossing from Fishguard. We'd had a long drive from home and were greeted with a friendly welcome and tea and biscuits in the conservatory. After a tasty dinner we retired to our comfortable room and relaxed for the evening. Breakfast the next morning was hearty and more than enough to set us up for the day. The scenery around here is beautiful and it's a great base for biking, walking or just sight seeing. Very highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanW48
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We had a very good breakfast a good night sleep, what else would you need from a B&B? Very clean and the owners are very lovely. Very good value for the money and it so quiet. Amazing experience. Thank you guys for this. We had the double room and our dogs slept downstairs and that was perfect for us.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole I
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having booked one night as we had a number of activities in the area, due to bad circumstances we had to cancel everything. I had forgot to cancel the room, so I called the next morning o apologise, and was advised I still had to pay full price for the B&B. The room I could understand, but I felt breakfast was not very sympathetic.
I agreed to pay, as I was not going to argue bad business etiquette, the was sent a threatening e mail.
Most things have been rebooked, but not this B&B that is for sure.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jacqueline H
Karen B, Owner at The Old School House, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to put a review on TripAdvisor, I am sorry to hear you are not happy with the outcome of the booking you made with us. You booked through Booking.com and as per the cancellation policy you unfortunately did not cancel within the stated time. I did ring you the night of your stay and got a reply "she's in bed, don't know nothing about a booking", then the phone call was ended before I could ask anything else. I appreciate you called me the next morning to apologise, but you have to understand as you had booked the room, I turned down other bookings for that night in that room. Booking.com always sell the rooms for us as a room rate, I do not charge extra for breakfast so I can't understand how you thought I had charged you extra for breakfast. If you look at all my other reviews you will see I try to help out where ever I can, I am disappointed you feel this way about us, but hopefully you will still have a good time in Wales where ever you go.

Kind Regards

Karen Belford
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Karen owner of the above B&B welcomed us with tea and biscuits, explain all we needed to know and let us rest after a long drive in the conservatory of the B&B.

The two rooms were well equipped and clean, with comfy beds which was welcomed after the drive. The breakfast we had there were great, plenty of choice and plenty to eat, served when you arranged and with a cheery smile.

Karen was attentive when we had been out, asking if there was anything she could help us with and shared the fun of our days be asking how each day was. We had two great days and 3 good nights at The Old School House.

We will certainly recommend this B&B to anyone going to this area of Wales, we may be back there next year depending on where our holidays take us. It was a superb start to just over 2 weeks of holidays and left me for one rested before I drove us onto the Lake District.

So if you find yourself in this part of Wales please do stay with Karen at the Old School House, Pennant, you will find it extremely good value and are sure to get a great welcome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed here as part of a Charity Walk from north to South Wales, We had kit being dropped off and picked up at different times to us arriving and we also had meal requirements for the evening but could not tie down a time and Karen was very accomadating to that.

They helped us tailor our route slightly to see better scenary and no request was snarled or sniffed at. They went above and beyond expecatations. I could not ask for more!!

We will revisit this place at some point as its amazing.. Karen does a superb 3 course evening meal and comes with strong recommendation and the breakfast is to die for!!

Thanks for a brilliant stay

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Gdog76
Warwickshire
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Karen and Bernie made me feel very much at home; The Old School House is a great place to stay and I felt very relaxed whilst I was there. Comfortable beds, very clean and tidy, a fantastic breakfast each morning and very attentive hosts - no wonder the homing pigeon that had landed there didn't want to go back to it's own home!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanbrynmair
Maesmawr Hall Hotel
#6 of 12 in Machynlleth
Cringoed Holiday Park
Cringoed Holiday Park
#1 of 2 in Llanbrynmair

Been to The Old School House? Share your experiences!