“Romantic and most beautiful retreat”

The Lake Country House & Spa
“Romantic and most beautiful retreat”
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Stay here a min of 4 days working and relaxing . 4 times a year. Dog friendly, my husband loves all the facility's as I ' m working. Nices people I 've every meet. So friendly and welcoming, as well caring. We(husband, dog and myself) looking forward going back. Booked already our next stay

• Stayed May 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We spent two midweek nights at this beautiful old house. I have to call it that because it didn't feel like a hotel; more like being the personal guests of the owner of an old country house. The bedrooms in the main house are capacious and elegant and there is also a separate lodge. As you enter the lobby it doesn't even look like a hotel; there is just a discreet desk in one corner. The fire was blazing and the atmosphere was extremely welcoming. Downstairs the large lounge is stuffed with comfy sofas and armchairs - the perfect place to relax and enjoy afternoon tea after your long walk around the grounds, a round of golf on the little nine hole course, or a more adventurous ramble using the walks guide provided in your room. The newly built spa has an excellent 15m swimming pool and a hot tub out on the deck overlooking the lake. The hotel is well off the beaten track and provides peace and calm is a rural setting. The day starts with tea or coffee brought to your room at a time you specify, from 7.30am. You can request tea/coffee making facilities in your room instead but what better way to start the day than someone bringing up a cup of tea to your room? Breakfast is served each morning in the orangery and you can order snacks and sandwiches pretty much all day. But the piece de resistance comes in the restaurant each evening with a four course dinner. The food is absolutely fantastic and the service is exceptional. The dining room itself is a beautiful room decorated in elegant olde world style. Even if you don't dress up (and you don't have to) it feels like a special occasion every night. Other guests told us they have been to the Lake Hotel several times and one couple raved about the Christmas break they took there last year. It was very tempting. We had our dog with us and he was made very welcome, as all well-behaved dogs are. The owners have two themselves who will come and greet you. We had such a good time I didn't even get around to using the spa or booking any treatments. My husband swam and said the pool was excellent. I'll have to save that for next time!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you so much for sharing this lovely review. We’re delighted to hear you felt so welcome; it’s always great for our team to hear they’ve been able to positively impact a guest’s stay. Whether it’s for Christmas, spa treatments or just another relaxing break with your four legged friend, we’ll look forward to welcoming you back to The Lake Country House soon.
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Delightful weekend Service, food and wine superb from Welcome to Au revoir. We felt nothing was too much trouble as if we were amongst friends Our Lodge suite was spacious and private.. I must visit again to enable a soak in the hot tub which overlooks the lake. I was too busy walking the lake path and photographing the magnificent ancient trees and sampling wines from the excellent list.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Just returned from the most relaxing and wonderful weekend at the Lake. The food was excellent and the special wines selected by Mark a first class match and a joy to drink.. I cannot wait for a return visit.

Room Tip: The Lodge suite was spacious with the most comfy beds ever and peaceful ambiance. The view overlooki...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your review; Mark will be delighted by your kind comments. It was a pleasure having you to stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Codsall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

One one night. What a mistake. We should have spent a week at The Lake. The rooms are beautifully fitted and decorated, the food and service are superb and the spa is excellent. We will be back very soon.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the ground floor. Nice rooms but not much privacy as paths go past the bedroom windo...
2 Thank Lewis S
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Just had an absolutely fantastic night at the lake country house and spa. The staff were exceptionally friendly as we're the other guests. We found it relatively easily without the use of sat nav by asking locals for directions. Our room was a small suite in the main building. You have to request tea and coffee making facilities and the shower was of slightly lower power than I would like, otherwise the room was exceptional. Beautiful decor, comfortable large bed, very nice views out of the window. The hotel was comfortable, the staff were attentive. Afternoon tea was very nice; tea scone, clotted cream, strawberry jam. The evening meal was superb, the wine list very reasonably priced, no bar, but waiter serviced drinks. Breakfast was a combination of buffet cereal selection and menu requested hot breakfast with a nice selection. The smoked haddock was especially nice. Easy check out, all went very smoothly. The pool in the spa was a 15m pool, adequate for me with asmall gym, sauna and jacuzzi. Gardens and lake were beautiful with nice walks that were enjoyable despite the drizzle. We asked to have a look at the rooms in the annexe. These were bigger suites, themed by country, all with a high spec. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: If you want tea and coffee making facilities you have to ask. May get a better deat from secret esc...
1 Thank Vivek B
UK
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We have just returned from this hotel, which was a birthday treat for my husband. We regularly enjoy two or three night breaks at spa hotels so like to think we have a good knowledge of what is good and what is not.

Where to start.

On arrival after a stressful journey I was told on checking in that I had not booked for two nights bed breakfast and evening meal, but that I had booked three nights bed and breakfast. I told the receptionist that this was incorrect and so was asked to provide an email from secret escapes. All of my emails had been passed on to someone at work so that my husband didn't get wind of his surprise, so I then had to call up my colleague to get her to email my information over to the hotel. Whilst this was being looked into we were shown to our room, and I was surprised to be told that we had been upgraded to a suite (I had paid for a suite), I was also surprised to see that the birthday balloons I had ordered through the hotel were not in the room. After around 20 mins, the receptionist knocked on the door and told me that she was correct that we had booked three nights bed and breakfast and flashed what she had printed off the secret escapes web site. I noticed that the price was different to what I had paid and told her this was not my booking and that I had paid more. She left with me unable to settle and my husband not having a clue what was going on!!

I then went down to reception to show them an email I had saying that we had dinner included and to also tell them about the missing balloons and to see if they had received my colleagues email. A young man (from the office behind reception) came to see what was going on and immediately noticed that the receptionist had been looking at the wrong name and the wrong booking, therefore putting us in the wrong room, the one without the balloons!

I went back to our room without an apology almost feeling like the mess had been made by me. I had to explain to my husband what had gone on and also about his surprise balloons. It then dawned on me that we were therefore not in the correct room allocated to us so called reception who offered to show us the other room so that we could make the choice. We chose the room we should have had as the views were far superior.

Not a great start!

Our room was OK although the bed was two singles pushed together so quite uncomfortable. The bathroom was fine although a little rough around the edges. The hair dryer cable did not reach the dressing table mirror. The tv channels were appalling and many were fuzzy, in this day and age this is completely unnecessary.

We headed off to the spa - or so called spa. On arrival we were told that the ladies changing rooms were out of order therefore the ladies were using the mens changing rooms and the men were using the disabled changing room. We were not told this on arrival at reception at the hotel. My husband said that when the door to the disabled changing room opened, you could see straight in from the pool which made him uncomfortable.

The pool area was clean and the pool was warm. The sauna was like a tiny hut that would only comfortably fit two people in it, there was no steam room. We made our way to the hot tub - this was tiny, not very warm and again would only have comfortably fit two people in it. At a spa you would normally hear tranquil music, not at this one. This is not a spa, just an over rated swimming pool.

When we went down for dinner on the first night we were told that the only draught beer was grolsch so my husband ordered a pint of grolsch. He wasnt convinced that it was draught and it certainly did not taste nice.

Having paid £38.50 per head for dinner we expected a fine dining experience. The canapes were tasteless, the roasted tomato soup was tasty but from hereon in it went downhill. The starters were poor and tasteless, my husband and I both had beef for main. We had three small round pieces of beef, a tiny portion of mash potato and a piece of curly kale, pudding was fine, but the cheese and biscuits is served with what are more like small tasteless crisps than crackers. The atmosphere in the restaurant is awkward and it is a relief to leave.

We have read that there is a turn down service - we didn't get this on either evening.

No tea and coffee making facilities in the room is a let down, and although apparently if you ask they will be provided, you shouldnt have to research to know this.

We did not receive tea or coffee to the room in the morning, like I have read on previous trip advisors and we werent willing to ask in case there was a charge!!!

One the second night the evening meal was better in taste but not quantity, both nights my husband left hungry. On the second night he thought he would try the guinness. He did know that it was from a can however when it arrived it was warm and barely drinkable. At £4.50 for a can it is not unreasonable to expect for it to be served cold!!!!

There are no pubs in close proximity and the hotel does not make it easy to sit and relax with a drink due to its poor facilities.

Breakfast was fine and the lady that served us both mornings was really lovely.

My husband used the toilets in the lobby and was appalled by the state of them, dirty, old and unkempt, not what you should expect.

The hotel itself has all the makings of a lovely hotel and the grounds are stunning, such a lovely location shame the hotel cannot match it's beauty.

Usually we wouldn't want to leave, but unfortunately on this occasion we were glad to.

Lake Country House, go and visit the Armathwaite in Keswick, where it is cheaper to stay but the a la carte really is stunning, the rooms are beautiful, even the standard ones and the spa is a spa where you truly feel spolit. You are a 3* and that is all you should be, you have a long way to go before you become a 4*.

And even though the surprise was spolit regarding the balloons, we were still charged £21 for them!!!!!!!!!

7 Thank rubbles
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are glad to hear there were certain elements of your stay such as the breakfast service and the grounds that you enjoyed. We can only offer our sincere apologies for the misunderstanding that occurred on check-in.

It seems to us as though this early mishap may have had an impact on the rest of your stay. We cannot possibly hope to address all of your points as we know that it’s impossible to please everyone, but in the question of fairness, we would like to offer a little balance. Our spa is currently being developed to improve our overall spa offering. The toilets in the lobby are regularly checked and appropriately cleaned when dirty. Finally, our Grolsch is as described - we would never mislead our customers in this way. Once again please accept our apologies that we were unable to meet your expectations but let us assure you of our very best intentions at all times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llangammarch Wells
#1 of 3 in Llandrindod Wells
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,290 reviews
The Old Rectory Country Hotel and Golf Club
Nant Ddu Lodge Hotel & Spa

Been to The Lake Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!