1,017 results
All reviewsthe main househot tubbeautiful groundsafternoon teaevening mealswimming poollovely suitesmall gymsecret escapespar golf courseupgraded to a suiteseparate buildingrelaxing breaklounge areawine listhotel groundswonderful hotel
Reviewed 19 October 2013

The Lake is a lovely old place set in glorious mid Wales countryside with excellent facilities. Our room (we had 2 plus a bathroom) housed quite the biggest bed I have ever seen which was wonderfully comfortable but could have done with king sized pillows to match. The adjoining lounge had a sofa, TV and table and chairs where a room service meal could have been eaten. Lightening fast broadband was freely available so we used our lounge as our IT area! The lovely bathroom had everything you could wish for including large, fluffy bath towels, so rare in hotels these days. Sadly the bathrobes were a shade small unless you are size 12. We stayed in a ground floor room in the lodge, which is separate from the main house, and that was great. Thoughtful touches like leaving you an umbrella were appreciated. The staff are outstanding - housekeeping replaced a blown bulb and came up with a feather pillow whilst we were at dinner. I have commented on the food elsewhere but suffice to say it was first class. We will return

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your recent stay as well as the separate review on our restaurant page. We’re delighted to hear you loved your time here and that you enjoyed staying in the lodge. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

We had such a lovely night away last weekend that we booked again for the following Saturday night and I really wish we hadn’t!

We did the Secret Escapes deal again and as 9 The Lodge was already taken we were put in Badger in the main building. Not quite as big or light as the previous week but still a very pleasant large room with views over the grounds from the second floor. Be warned the stairs and floor above are very creaky but this adds to the charm and whilst audible did not really keep as awake at night. Unlike last week no one helped us with our bags on arrival which was a shame.

Dinner was what could best be described as a disaster. As per the week before we asked to sit outside in the alcove in front to soak up the glorious sunshine. I requested this when I booked the previous Sunday, confirmed it via email, confirmed it by phone again en route and my partner reminded the receptionist on check in. We came down for dinner at 19.30 and not only was the table still not laid up for dinner but there was a couple sitting there having a drink. Not their fault at all but not great for them to be turfed out when the staff finally got round to preparing the table. When my partner questioned the waiter he said they had been very busy the past week and that we “should not expect the same service as the week before”. This was actually a very good indication of what was to come!

Pre-drinks. My ale was fine but my partner’s glass of champagne was barely chilled. Back it went! Starters were good. The mains took a while to arrive. My partner asked not to have the potatoes with her fish and instead have the butternut puree. The fish turned up with what looked like purple potatoes. We queried this and were told by the waitress that they were indeed potatoes and that the chef was “experimenting”. In fact they were beetroots. After being prompted the puree arrived in a bowl, stone cold! Back it went.

The one saving grace at dinner was Marcus who seemed as frustrated as us and some of the other dinners who by this point were quite audible in their disappointment. He was sincere and tried desperately to help but reminded me of Sisyphus pushing a boulder uphill only to see it roll down again as his efforts were undermined by his colleagues! We ordered our desserts and asked for our tea and coffee to be served at the same time. A very simple request by all accounts. After a while, the desserts arrived but no hot drinks. Ten minutes later, the drinks turned up. To his credit Marcus came and checked up on us later on by which point we all had a good laugh as to the ridiculousness of the situation and evening in general.

Breakfast the following morning was very good as was the service. I had the full Welsh again which was cooked to perfection. On checking out I noticed that our wine was not included on the bill. Not sure if this was a gesture of goodwill or simply a reflection of the confusion around dinner. The receptionist did not acknowledge the previous night’s events nor enquire as to how my stay was, probably fearing the answer!

I sincerely hope our most recent experience was a one off as we have seen just how good this hotel can be. There appeared to be a distinct lack of managers or senior staff around at dinner which could possibly explain the chaos that ensued. There seemed to be a completely different team to the week before as I did not recognise anyone throughout the 24 hours we were there. I implore the management not to let such a wonderful hotel go to waste!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

What a beautiful setting for a hotel. We stayed one night - but wish it had been longer. ALL the staff were friendly and welcoming - attentive but not in the way. The receptionist who checked us in and out was wonderful - very friendly and enjoyed my other half's warped sense of humor - we were not on a first date at all! I had one of the best meals I have ever had - the scallops and venison were exquisite - and the panna cotta was naughty but nice. Breakfast was fantastic - the selection of fruits, nuts and hot choices suited all tastes. It was nice to be somewhere with no children - children are lovely but for me it was nice to just be surrounded by nice, happy adults.

The grounds are beautiful - so peaceful and easy to explore. Plenty of lovely photo opportunities for sure! It certainly helped me relax and leave my every day stresses behind.

I advise people looking for a peaceful getaway break to visit. We did not explore the local area, but the info provided at breakfast was a lovely touch - and if we stay again (which I hope we will) we may explore more of the area. WONDERFUL

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent a night here celebrating our wedding anniversary in early September. Marvelous room with a high bed and smart shower room (the Master Room). Dinner in the restaurant was great. Good choice on the menu and an impressive wine list. Nice touches included not having to say when we wanted dinner - "Just go down to the bar when you're ready". A bit surprised that after-dinner coffee served in the lounge took the form of a large cafetiere and two espresso cups! But that's only a minor gripe. Helpful staff and acres of grounds contributed to the country house feel. As this was an Amazon voucher deal it was also exceptional value. We could well be back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We were travelling through mid Wales on our way to St David's and we're looking for a lunch stop on the main road. Seeing a 40-year old sign to a pub took us down a lane to a village where the pub had closed down some years earlier. Not expecting to find anything, we drove a little further and chanced on TLCHAS. And what a wonderful find! Spacious, relaxed, hospitable, it felt as though we were in someone's home as we were shown to the lounge. We only needed a light lunch and this was prepared with care and imagination, even the sandwiches. Thoughtful and attentive young staff engaged happily in small-talk and one of us played a couple of numbers on the piano once the other diners had gone into the dining room for lunch. Would like to come back and stay to enjoy the tranquility of the place.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank SometimeTraveller
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your chance visit. We’re glad you stumbled across us and that you enjoyed your lunch. We will look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay.