The Lake Country House & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Abernant Lake Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
  • Bar/Lounge
Ty Carreg(Llanwrtyd Wells)
View Hotel
Belle Vue Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
View Hotel
Neuadd Arms Hotel(Llanwrtyd Wells)
View Hotel
Bronfelin Holiday Cottage(Llanwrtyd Wells)
View Hotel
Cedars Guest House(Builth Wells)
Woodlands Guesthouse(Builth Wells)
Hotel Commodore(Llandrindod Wells)
View Hotel
All reviewsthe main househot tubbeautiful groundsevening meallovely suiteafternoon teaswimming poolsmall gymsecret escapesbackground musicpar golf courseupgraded to a suiteseparate buildingrelaxing staywine listwonderful hotellounge area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The hotel is very isolated which was great for us.
The hotel itself was very charismatic with lots of authentic touches.The room (we had a suite) was very spacious and luxurious....friends have commented on the bedrooms looking very "Downton".(you get bathrobes and massive fluffy towels)
We asked to see the other rooms and they are also very nice.The staff are very friendly and attentive.
Mealtimes are a real treat....with super service and you are made to feel special.
Now for the spa part of the hotel....this looked newly built and was excellent....our last day,we had the large pool and outdoor jacuzzi to ourselves.
Treatments are available if required.
There is a golf course,billiards room and tennis and the lake for fishing.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you want extra room.
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We have just returned from a perfect and relaxing weekend at the Lake hotel - our second visit.

The hotel and grounds were beautiful and, although it was a stormy autumn weekend, real fires, candles and large comfortable sofas in the main house made it cosy and atmospheric.

Our suite was comfortable, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean. We arrived back at our room one day while housekeeping were still working. Although they weren't aware that we were there we could see that the care and attention they put into turning the room around, particularly the bathroom, was exemplary.

Breakfast and evening meals on both days were excellent. The front of house and restaurant staff worked tirelessly from the moment we arrived to make our weekend special.

We will definitely return.

1  Thank Sher K
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Thank you for returning to stay with us and also for taking the time to share this review. The kind comments regarding all of the team here are greatly appreciated; I’m sure they will be delighted to read your positive feedback. We will look forward to your welcoming you back at the Lake Country House soon.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

What a lovely place. From the moment you arrive you know it will be just perfect. We had a fantastic suite; really comfortable, super soft towels/ robes, lovely bed, amazing toiletries and clean. The staff were super, very welcoming and helpful. We had an amazing diner; our pre-diner drinks were served in a beautiful old world lounge, canapés were delightful. The whole dining experience was totally on par. Cannot believe how good it was - the desert was best we have had.

Great nights sleep. The welsh breakfast was the icing on the cake.

In short - just stay here, eat drink and sleep, it is lovely.

Room Tip: Chose a suite in the main house.
1  Thank Wilmcotewanderer
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We went for my birthday treat again this year and it was like going home. The welcome we got was fabulous’ and the head reception Laura even remembered me! Last time was for the girls this time was for my husband, as I kept on about how great it was.
Our room AMAZING! A large bed room with lovely view over the back garden, very comfortable bed, bath room with bath, separate shower etc. with enough room to have a breakfast area in the corner of the bed room.
The food was superb even better than last time, loved the chocolate fondant and the lamb and the duck yummy. The dress code for the evening just gives the dinning experience that little bit more.
The breakfast was very good with a good choice of hot and cold food.
The grounds well maintained and the spa a must have treat.
The hotel has a real character, the stairs creak and the carpet has a little wear but that’s how it should be its welcoming and inviting and so very clean!
You feel like if you don’t want to do anything you don’t have to if you do you can and all with butler service.
We can’t wait to go back and will!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing to return to stay with us. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your time here and that our team were able to provide such a warm welcome. It sounds as though you perfectly understand what the Lake Country House is all about – relaxation, great food and beautiful surroundings. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was compelled to write a review due to the mixed feelings about this hotel. Lake Country House allude to a fairly 'select' experience but we certainly did not experience the great reviews some other guests have given this hotel. I don't believe it's worth the £160 + per night B&B rates. Lovely grounds and location, beautiful Victorian house, a bit thread bare, creaky and dated in places but charming none the less! Lovely Spa too, and in particular had an exceptional therapy from a very nice and skilled beauty therapist. Hotel Staff very sweet, helpful and friendly but the hotel should consider providing their staff with decent uniforms. There is a sense that this place is trying to be something it isn't ... For example, the bedroom and ensuite weren't up to the standard I would expect from the prices charged; no safe, no mini bar, dated bathroom and terrible non existent shower pressure.. Apparently, there was a 'turn down service' but there was no notification in the room that this was happening. The bathrobes provided were past their sell by date. Dinner was not the fine dining experience we were led to believe it would be. Service was chaotic, wrong meal, wrong drinks! My partner was served meat rather than the fish ordered, this was taken away by a confused and hesitant waiter who left my course on the side of the table... This was picked up by an observant waitress but clearly my course was left under a food warmer while my partner's meal was prepared. When the food was served, my course of Risotto looked worse for wear; the garnish had wilted and leaked its colour and the Risotto was over done and sat in a pool of oil ... Not the Al dente I had expected from a fine dining experience. We did not complain further as we had already waited for the kitchen to get our order right. A meal on another night was far too over seasoned, I would say it was dangerously salty. At this point, I could not be bothered to complain. Breakfast was made to order but the ingredients aren't the best, they should replace with local award winning produce, many hotels do this and the idea works. A selection of country breads should replace the pre sliced tasteless packaged variety. Cooked breakfast was greasy (so unnecessary), the vegetarian sausages the worst I have ever tasted and very poor/sparse healthy options. This hotel would do well to make use of the wonderful extension dining room and cater for breakfast with a hot buffet service in situ with eggs cooked freshly to order rather than the plastic variety we were served. Unfortunately, exceptionally noisy and inconsiderate neighbours in a nearby room did not help the experience. To be fair this is not the fault of the hotel but be wary of thin walls in the main house. I believe in all, this experience would be greatly enhanced had the food been faultless which is what I would expect at the prices charged. I also believe a drinks bar would transform the service of this hotel.

1  Thank JW387
Mrhoward66, Guest Relations at The Lake Country House & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent visit. I’m glad to hear that you found the grounds lovely, the house charming and your treatment in the spa exceptional. I’m sorry to hear there were other aspects of your stay which did not quite meet your expectations. We choose not to have a bar as we like to maintain the feel of a country home; something many of our guests take delight in. We’d like to apologise for the service you received during dinner. This was not up to our normally high standard but I am glad to hear other members of the team were able to spot problems and step in to help. In regards to breakfast, all our food is freshly prepared and supplied by excellent local producers. Our high quality eggs are free range and are always cooked fresh to order. We will certainly take a look at what other options are available for our vegetarian sausages. Let us assure you of our very best intentions at all times and wish you all the best for the remainder of 2013.