What a hidden gem! We were looking for somewhere to spend a few nights as a getaway and relax before Christmas. Having never heard of this hotel before, we booked through a deal and thought if it wasn't very good we'd just move on to somewhere else in Wales (our original plan of going to Scotland was cut short at the last minute due to the weather). Well, we loved it so much we ended up extending our stay and spending the rest of our time here too!
The hotel itself is a lovely building with generously sized rooms. Our bedroom had a beautiful view across the grounds towards the river and a lovely sitting area with sofa/table and a bay window. Downstairs in the communal areas are several sitting areas with beautiful fires and everywhere was decorated beautifully. Whilst being smart and luxurious, it also felt extremely homely and we spent many a lovely hour in front of the fire with a tray of tea, relaxing and really settling in!
The spa is another treat - a lovely pool area with sauna, and a little hidden treat of a hot tub outside upstairs on the balcony - such a luxury to sit in a steaming hot tub whilst the welsh wind was whistling around us - bliss! We indulged in a treatment each whilst we were there and they were really top class.
Our deal included a four-course dinner every night. Again, we didn't have any particular expectations and were willing enough to scrap it and eat elsewhere if it was a bit mediocre. We demolished our dinner every night and positively looked forward to indulging in the next part of the menu! Having just watched the final of masterchef on TV, the dishes we were served, from amuse bouches to deserts, would have not only not looked out of place on the programme, but we feel would probably have beaten the winner. We lost count of the number of times we asked to tell the chef(s) how fabulous the food was! We understand a new head chef joined a couple of months ago, and to their credit the food was superb!
However, the biggest draw of this hotel has to be the staff. My husband and I have been lucky enough to stay in a lot of the best hotels around the world, and I really have never come across such a consistently hard-working and pleasant bunch of people. Everyone is constantly working hard but the staff were just such a joy to interact with and were all so lovely, it really made us feel as if we were staying at a family friend's country home, not at a hotel. We couldn't praise them highly enough and feel they should get some well-deserved recognition of really making this place something special.
My husband has declared this is his new favourite hotel in the world and I think we shall be back soon enough - if for nothing else than for him to play with the hotel's beautiful chocolate labrador, Molly!
A huge thank you to everyone at the hotel for making our stay not only comfortable, but thoroughly relaxing and enjoyable. We feel like we've been away for weeks, not just days, and the only thing to make the stay even better was please can we have a firmer mattress next time!
If anyone is looking for a relaxing, luxurious, getaway in beautiful countryside - you really have to stay here. You will not regret it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Country House Hotel is a 4 star hotel set in the Heart of Mid Wales and is the perfect destination for a luxury hotel break or romantic getaway. The Spa offers a range of Heath and Beauty treatments and is equipped with and indoor pool, sauna and Jacuzzi overlooking the lake. Game Fishing and golf are available on site and there is a good range of other golf courses in the area. Horse riding, the Elan Valley and of course the Brecon Beacons are all near by.An air of elegance and calm informality pervades this exquisitely furnished Welsh country house hotel. Standing serenely in its own fifty acres of parkland, with sweeping lawns, rhododendron lined pathways and riverside walks, this magnificent mid wales hotel is comfort epitomised.The country house itself is an architectural bagatelle, begun in 1840 and remodeled in 1900. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotel.de, Priceline, HRS, Agoda, Hotels.com and SpeedyBooker.com so you can book your The Lake Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lake Country House Hotel Llangammarch Wells
- The Lake Country House And Spa
- The Lake Country Hotel
- Lake Country Hotel
- The Lake Country House & Spa Llangammarch Wells, Wales - Powys