We visited on a wet Sunday, arriving in time for a light lunch. The hotel is a pretty building set in the lovely Welsh countryside. We sat in the window of the beautiful main lounge looking out at the rain. Tea arrived quickly- just what we needed though I would have liked to see loose leaf tea rather than tea bags. Super sandwiches were served with salad and vegetable crisps. Our room was ready a little earlier than expected and were shown to our luxury suite by the lovely receptionist, Georgina. It was a lovely, spacious room and lounge area with a comfy sofa and beautiful views.
We took our robes to the spa where we had booked treatments. The spa facilities are good, the hot tub overlooking the lake being a highlight. The massage treatments were also very good, made special by the sound of the birds and water outside- you almost didn't need the music to relax you.
As our room was in an external building, I had to wear my boots over to main house for dinner as the rain was persistent, making the ground rather muddy. We sat in the lounge and ordered pre dinner drinks before being presented with a lovely menu and extensive wine list. The maître d' brought over some canapés- quite unexciting. Some dry chorizo in filo pastry, olives and crayfish with fruit. Not for me I'm afraid.
When we were ready, we were taken to our table in the dining room. Lovely linen and nice atmosphere. We were served an amuse bouche of winter vegetable soup which was very welcome, though the bread served was stodgy. Soon followed our starter of pigeon breast. A little over cooked for our taste but enjoyable. We had lamb for our main course which was beautiful. I finished with a delicious lemon cheesecake. My boyfriends banana parfait was the winner though- with a peanut mousse and caramelised banana. We enjoyed a few more drinks back in the lounge, before returning to our comfortable room.
After a great nights sleep, we woke to the newspaper we had ordered outside the door and returned to the main house for breakfast in the orangery. We were served tea and toast promptly and helped ourselves to the lovely buffet on offer. We ordered our Welsh breakfast which arrived shortly after, all of which was very good.
We went back to collect our things before checking out. We were fortunate enough to be shown some of the rooms in the main building for future reference all of which were lovely, even the smallest (classic) rooms. Our suite was more spacious than those in the main house.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much. Though the location is rural, there was plenty to entertain us with country walks and drives around the local area and the lovely spa. We could have easily stayed for a long weekend and hope to return soon to do just that!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Country House Hotel is a 4 star hotel set in the Heart of Mid Wales and is the perfect destination for a luxury hotel break or romantic getaway. The Spa offers a range of Heath and Beauty treatments and is equipped with and indoor pool, sauna and Jacuzzi overlooking the lake. Game Fishing and golf are available on site and there is a good range of other golf courses in the area. Horse riding, the Elan Valley and of course the Brecon Beacons are all near by.An air of elegance and calm informality pervades this exquisitely furnished Welsh country house hotel. Standing serenely in its own fifty acres of parkland, with sweeping lawns, rhododendron lined pathways and riverside walks, this magnificent mid wales hotel is comfort epitomised.The country house itself is an architectural bagatelle, begun in 1840 and remodeled in 1900. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotel.de, Priceline, Agoda, Evoline ltd and HRS so you can book your The Lake Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lake Country House And Spa
- The Lake Country House Hotel Llangammarch Wells
- The Lake Country Hotel
- Lake Country Hotel
- The Lake Country House & Spa Llangammarch Wells, Wales - Powys