First impressions were good. Lovely hotel in a beautiful part of the world - a peaceful tranquil location which had the typical country house feel inside. Our room, on the top floor (lots of stairs) was pleasant, nicely decorated with a small sitting area and a lovely view over the gardens. It didn't however have the wow factor and although clean and tidy lacked that certain something which turns a room from nice to wonderful. The bathroom was small and clean but the shower was not of a good enough standard and the water pressure to it was pitiful. It was also a bit of a shock when the knob of the tap came off in our hand!
The night we stayed at Lake House there seemed to be very little atmosphere, especially in the dining room. The evening meal at £45 per person is rather expensive for the quality and flavours on the plate. We are quite happy to pay the price if the food delivers but we felt this meal didn't. My crab starter was so small you could eat the whole thing in three average sized mouthfuls whilst the fish main course was overcooked and a little boring. The service was haphazard - lots of young servers (nothing wrong with this) but a little extra training would not have gone amiss, no one waiter seemed to be in charge of any one table - we had to wait a long time for our main course to be cleared and even longer for the dessert menu. Paying this amount for a meal you don't expect the waitress when delivering two plates of food to have to ask "whose having the...."!
Breakfast started off well - good fruit, cereal selection but after that not good enough. The orange juice was distinctly average whilst the scrambled egg and half a tomato was the tiniest portion with solid scrambled egg, not at all enjoyable. The two soft boiled eggs we ordered were so hard they were sent back and we then had to wait another 10+ minutes for two soft boiled ones thus having to eat our cooked breakfasts separately. Even our toast had to be sent back - it was barely toasted and not hot. Whilst waiting to pay our bill (not a problem) we noticed that the receptionist asked the couples in front of us if they enjoyed their stay - it seemed they did. We were not asked, probably due to all the problems at breakfast of which they were aware. It is obvious that an hotel cannot please everyone and that we all have different tastes however we came away feeling slightly disappointed. Great shame so probably won't return again as there are many excellent country house hotels in Wales.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lake Country House Hotel is a 4 star hotel set in the Heart of Mid Wales and is the perfect destination for a luxury hotel break or romantic getaway. The Spa offers a range of Heath and Beauty treatments and is equipped with and indoor pool, sauna and Jacuzzi overlooking the lake. Game Fishing and golf are available on site and there is a good range of other golf courses in the area. Horse riding, the Elan Valley and of course the Brecon Beacons are all near by.An air of elegance and calm informality pervades this exquisitely furnished Welsh country house hotel. Standing serenely in its own fifty acres of parkland, with sweeping lawns, rhododendron lined pathways and riverside walks, this magnificent mid wales hotel is comfort epitomised.The country house itself is an architectural bagatelle, begun in 1840 and remodeled in 1900. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Lake Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Lake Country House Hotel Llangammarch Wells
- The Lake Country House And Spa
- The Lake Country Hotel
- Lake Country Hotel
- The Lake Country House & Spa Llangammarch Wells, Wales - Powys