“Put this hotel on your bucket list”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Put this hotel on your bucket list”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

A return visit equally enjoyable as before - and it won't be the last visit. It is off the beaten track but worth the effort. Fabulous location, wonderful room with balcony and gorgeous ever changing view, excellent food in restaurant, attentive staff.

Room Tip: It is worth paying the extra for a balcony/terrace with a lake view.
1 Thank Anne M
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for writing this review of your stay here at the lake. I am glad that your stay was equally as enjoyable as your previous visit to us.

I am delighted that you will be returning to visit us again soon; we look forward to welcoming you back to the lake.

Anthony Rosser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (605)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What can you say but fantastic!! Didn't know what to expect as it was a random booking on living social. It looked amazing and didn't disappoint. Hidden away in the welsh hills sat next to a beautiful lake this was the perfect place to unwind for me and my wife. The food was fantastic, the staff (some trouble with language barrier with a couple) were polite, quick and helpful, the room was just right with a very comfy bed,adequate decor for and a lovely clean spacious bathroom.tv choice in room wasn't great and reception poor but considering the location it was expected. You couldn't want for a better view if you love scenery and the sunsets were perfect, the sun sets just at the top of the lake casting it's shadow across the lake.

We will definitely look at booking to go back in the future.
Didn't get chance to make use of the tavern or spa but we were there literally to relax and do nothing but when we go back I intend to take more advantage

Room Tip: Ignore the swimming pool marks as the hotel doesn't have one, just a very nice spa and gym
1 Thank alawton77
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you had a brilliant stay with us. Your praise of the food, staff and your room is great to read and I am glad that this has contributed to such a relaxing break for you. It sounds like you took advantage of the tranquility that this area has to offer.

I am glad that you will be looking to return to stay with us in the future. I truly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a deal with Travelzoo for our anniversary and our experience has been really good. My wife splashed out on a facial and said it was fantastic - plus the discount vouchers with our deal helped the affordibility. The views here are stunning and it is an idyllic spot overlooking the lake to just sit off and chill out. Our suite was garden facing and very comfortable. The cuisine in the Tower restaurant last night was superb and all the staff were professional and attentive. Not sure what happened at breakfast for another reviewer today but we were treated well at every point and again the food was spot on. The place is just quirky and interesting and we love places with some character and history. Some may think the decor slightly worn in places but for me, any major modernisation would detract from its charm and ambience and the estate is very well cared for. It suited us for a night escape as part of our celebrations so thank u Lake Vyrnwy, we are fans...☺

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to pen a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay, and that the discount vouchers were helpful - I will pass your wife’s praise on to the Spa staff. The chef and the staff will appreciate your kind words.

I quite like the thought of being seen as quirky and I would agree that what some may see as slightly faded others may find character that adds to the charm.

I am glad to hear that you are now fans of the hotel. I truly hope that we will welcome you back to the lake in the near future.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

A trip and overnight at Lake Vyrnwy was a very extravagant Christmas Present from some very close and dear friends. They lead a hectic social life - hence it took till June for us to find a date when we could all go.
We had a frightful journey after the M54 and A5 were closed with some serious accidents - but that aside - we arrived belatedly to lovely sunshine - met up and quickly dropped cases and went up to the Bistro Pub for late lunch.
Dogs are allowed - which was great for all of us - both having active Jack Russells. We were able to sit outside for lunch - with the dogs and then set off for a lovely walk for about an hour and a half. Back just in time for complementary Bubbly on the terrace - served with some home made delights. Then relax, bath - shower and pre-dinner drinks. All good so far.
It was not a very extensive menu choice at all but sufficient - starters were good, 3 x steak for main and I picked the Fish - of course. The steaks were not very tender and not cooked as requested. My fish was lovely. The young lady/waitress coming back to offer the menu for our choice of dessert when passing it did not see my full to the brim red wine glass and sent is crashing across the table and all over the front of my dress!!! She vanished very quickly and we thought she had gone for a cloth to help mop me up, but no - she did not come back - so I dried off what I could and sat down. We never got to pick a desert and we were not offered a replacement glass of wine. When, eventually a more senior waiter came over we had to inform him what had happened and he fetched the waitress back "to apologise". She advised that she was rather clumsy and this had happened 3 times before!!!! They did offer to take my dress for cleaning but we were only there one night and they could not do it in the time scale.
Breakfast time: well - it begs the question - what did we do wrong to have more problems? The nice waiter/junior manager came and dutifully took our order. 2 x full English breakfasts for the men, 1 poached egg on toast for me and poached haddock with an egg for my friend. The 2 full English breakfasts came and the men folk dutifully waited, and waited and waited until we said you must start before it goes cold - and so they did. During this time we tried to attract attention but the staff seemed determined not to acknowledge us. Eventually after the men had finished we actually got the nice guy who took our order and remembered exactly what we had ordered. Then we had to explain that the men had been served and eaten and we ladies were still waiting. Somehow although the order was on the same page - us girls food order had been lost. So yet another wait for it to be cooked. We were nearly in the dining room as many hours for a simple breakfast as we were for a leisurely dinner the night before. It was a shame.
What a good job we were in excellent company and had so much to talk about that none of us realised we had been over 2 hours at the table!!! As it was teaming down with rain we decided to decamp - rather than go another nice walk and make tracks. We were in room 2 with an excellent view of the lake. Tea and coffee facilities in the room, TV (no fridge) but a nice big bathroom with bath and separate shower. All clean and tidy - although it did have 2 bad patches of damp on the wall by the window that came right down the wall and to the right by the TV. It is ready for a coat of paint but that did not detract from us having a lovely time. Would still go back when considering the location, the walks, the flexibility for the dog to come too - would just be hoping not to have the same waitress! I risked putting my dress straight in the washer when we got home and am very pleased to say all the red wine stains came out! That helped the overall opinion as I would have been extremely cross if it had been ruined. So Restaurant Manager take note and check with guests "during" their meal experience to see that everything is going as it should be. Its a lovely position, superb views, beautiful walks - and reception and bar staff were all attentive, professional and efficient. Give it a try.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank H. K
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Nothing around you but stunning views and great walks. The hotel is over 100 years old so if your looking for shabby chic this in not the hotel for you. Great food and service. Our room was huge with a big super king bed and a view of the gardens. If you want to pay extra the Lake view room would be lovely.

Room Tip: Treat yourself to a Lake view room if you can
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2014

First of all, I want to commend the excellent service staff for being so pleasant and welcoming. Two members of staff in particular were extremely helpful - one young man who helped us find the best/safest way to travel to Bala, and the other was an extremely pleasant middle aged waitress who took interest in the reasons why we were staying at the hotel. We didn't take their names but both were local and Welsh speakers.
Although everything else was 'ok', we felt that the whole experience was rather underwhelming (irrespective of the stunning lake views). I do think that the Hotel Owners need to do more to ensure that guests' expectations are met - e.g. guests who pay a lot for accommodation and sustenance expect accommodation and sustenance of a certain standard. A lick of paint, a general tidy-up of the gardens, wallpaper replacement where required etc - small things that make a big difference. We ate at the main restaurant - 3 course option ... yet we had to pay extra for vegetables etc. We found this to be rather odd as any 3 (or 5) course meal should be balanced and vegetable should be included. Vegetarian and children's options were rather limited. We were told that the Tavern might be more suitable, but I'm afraid to say that this seemed to be a very inappropriate addition to the Lake Vyrnwy complex. Here is a place with mixed identity, not knowing what it should be and who it should cater for. Prices were relatively expensive considering the layout. Wouldn't this be best as a Bistro - or pizzeria? Look to Dylan's in Menai Bridge for an idea that could work (or any other similar places).
We were visiting the Urdd National eisteddfod in Bala - only 14 miles away, but nothing at the hotel to highlight that this major national event was occurring at its doorstep. Wouldn't it have been good to see 'Urdd offers' - attracting prospective new guests to stay during that week, guests who might then have become future hotel users? We had to leave early one morning as the children were competing in the Urdd and had preliminaries to do at 8am - this meant that we had to leave the hotel before the breakfast restaurant opened, so when we enquired, we were told that we could have a breakfast in our rooms if we paid an extra £5. We found this to be rather unfair and short-sighted seeing as there were many others in similar situations.
Would we stay there again? Not at the prices that we paid I'm afraid to say.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms have best lake view before booking; spa is an added extra; need to pay extra for veg...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank J H
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I would love to make this an Excellent rating but because this hotel needs some t l c. I cant do that .however, I will say that the food is always delicious and fresh, the location is stunning, and the staff are friendly , helpful and pleasant. I notice that there is a special offer on to stay over at this hotel, would love to do that, but fear I would be disappointed with my room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Polly G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!