“Relaxing & scenic mini-break”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Relaxing & scenic mini-break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in an idyllic and enviable location overlooking Lake Vyrnwy and is perfect for a quiet break. Level of service is on the whole very high from the waiting on staff to the friendly receptionists. We enjoyed our experience both nights in the restaurant being lucky enough to have a lake view window table watching the sunset. After a delightful goats cheese starter on the first evening I was disappointed that it wasn't on the menu again the following night. However I casually mentioned this to the waitress and she sorted it out with the chefs for me so I was able to enjoy it for a second time.

We paid a little extra for a lakeview room with a balcony which was advantageous as the weather was beautiful during our stay. My husband enjoyed every opportunity to get the perfect picture of the Lake! Although not a great deal to in the local area aside from nature walks we hired some bikes locally and did the 12 mile cycle around the lake. The road is very quiet with little traffic and flat for most of the way so was easily manageable.

I would definitely return if I wanted a few days of relaxation, good service and great food. I would try out some of the spa treatments next time too.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to pen this review. We are delighted to read such kind words. I am glad that you were able to enjoy the goat’s cheese starter for a second time considering how much you enjoyed it.

The weather has been lovely for the last couple of weeks, it is great that you got to experience the area at such a beautiful time. I hope that you will return to the lake in the near future to experience what else we have to offer.

Anthony Rosser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our last stopover on a weeks tour, and we stayed just one night, oh how we wished we'd stayed longer. The hotel is set quite high in the hills and overlooks the tranquil lake, for an unbeatable view. We had the presence of mind to pay for a lake view upgrade, which we could enjoy from our bathroom and bedroom so we enjoyed the lake view late at dusk and dawn. We found however that because of the shape and original purpose of the house, the rooms were quite different, and our travelling companions' room was significantly smaller. The food was excellent, not had fillet steak cooked that way ever and will try to recreate the recipe, the service from reception to dining was warm, welcoming and courteous. We arrived early but this was no problem, although only one of our rooms was ready we were able to leave our bags and enjoy an afternoon's cycle round the lake to build up an appetite for the 5 course dinner to come! Our deal included prosecco and truffles which seemed to be the case for most of the visitors, it was a nice touch and much appreciated. The hotel has an old fashioned charm about it. There is also a Tavern attached to the hotel with very reasonably priced drinks. This is definitely on the return list and one to recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Lake view is a must do
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a kind review. I am delighted to hear of your “heavenly” stay with us and it is great that you were able to experience the lake view from your bedroom in such lovely weather, as it is really is stunning. As you say, the rooms are different and have their own characteristics but as you point out this is due to the age, shape and original purpose of the hotel. We do believe that each room has its advantages and different rooms appeal to different guests.

I will pass your praise of the food onto the chef. I am glad that the service from staff was excellent as well. I am delighted that you are planning on returning to stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to the lake.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just having been touring around Britain for six days and not staying in a bad hotel at all, I have to say this really is the Jewel in the Crown. The hotel commands an amazing position overlooking Lake Vyrnwy, given the excellent weather it would've been easy to think we were on the Italian Lakes at times.
We stayed at this hotel on a deal, including a five course meal, of which three of the courses had choices, I can recommend the fillet steak covered in red onion marmalade and cheese, delicious! Breakfast was also top notch and the restaurant supervisor very friendly.
The staff in general could not have been more friendly and attentive. There is a pub adjoining the hotel too where you can buy bar meals if you like.
If you pay a supplement (£25) you can upgrade to a lake view room but be careful, for the same price, the size and facilities can differ considerably, check which room you are getting.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here at the lake. It is great that you would compare your stay here to a stay at the Italian Lakes. I do agree that when the sun is shining like it has been for the past couple of weeks it really is beautiful. I am glad that you enjoyed the food and I will pass your kind words on to the chef.

As you point out the rooms are all different sizes due to the age and the original layout of the building. Each room is individually furnished and decorated taking into account the size and characteristics of the room.

We hope that you will return to stay at the lake before too long.

Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Having just returned from a Travelzoo offer at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel, I can honestly say I would not change an inch of the experience we encountered there....so much so we stayed an extra night.

Hospitality, food and LOCATION....simply at its best...

I cannot wait to return, what a truly magical find!!! Weldone Lake Vyrnwy staff and management...we will be back soon!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 4thegreen
Thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much that you decided to extend your time with us. It gives us all a real perk up when a guest leaves such encouraging comments.

I am glad that you are going to return to stay with us at the lake. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

A return visit equally enjoyable as before - and it won't be the last visit. It is off the beaten track but worth the effort. Fabulous location, wonderful room with balcony and gorgeous ever changing view, excellent food in restaurant, attentive staff.

Room Tip: It is worth paying the extra for a balcony/terrace with a lake view.
1 Thank Anne M
Thank you for writing this review of your stay here at the lake. I am glad that your stay was equally as enjoyable as your previous visit to us.

I am delighted that you will be returning to visit us again soon; we look forward to welcoming you back to the lake.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

What can you say but fantastic!! Didn't know what to expect as it was a random booking on living social. It looked amazing and didn't disappoint. Hidden away in the welsh hills sat next to a beautiful lake this was the perfect place to unwind for me and my wife. The food was fantastic, the staff (some trouble with language barrier with a couple) were polite, quick and helpful, the room was just right with a very comfy bed,adequate decor for and a lovely clean spacious bathroom.tv choice in room wasn't great and reception poor but considering the location it was expected. You couldn't want for a better view if you love scenery and the sunsets were perfect, the sun sets just at the top of the lake casting it's shadow across the lake.

We will definitely look at booking to go back in the future.
Didn't get chance to make use of the tavern or spa but we were there literally to relax and do nothing but when we go back I intend to take more advantage

Room Tip: Ignore the swimming pool marks as the hotel doesn't have one, just a very nice spa and gym
1 Thank alawton77
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you had a brilliant stay with us. Your praise of the food, staff and your room is great to read and I am glad that this has contributed to such a relaxing break for you. It sounds like you took advantage of the tranquility that this area has to offer.

I am glad that you will be looking to return to stay with us in the future. I truly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

We booked a deal with Travelzoo for our anniversary and our experience has been really good. My wife splashed out on a facial and said it was fantastic - plus the discount vouchers with our deal helped the affordibility. The views here are stunning and it is an idyllic spot overlooking the lake to just sit off and chill out. Our suite was garden facing and very comfortable. The cuisine in the Tower restaurant last night was superb and all the staff were professional and attentive. Not sure what happened at breakfast for another reviewer today but we were treated well at every point and again the food was spot on. The place is just quirky and interesting and we love places with some character and history. Some may think the decor slightly worn in places but for me, any major modernisation would detract from its charm and ambience and the estate is very well cared for. It suited us for a night escape as part of our celebrations so thank u Lake Vyrnwy, we are fans...☺

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to pen a review of your stay with us. I am delighted that you had a great stay, and that the discount vouchers were helpful - I will pass your wife’s praise on to the Spa staff. The chef and the staff will appreciate your kind words.

I quite like the thought of being seen as quirky and I would agree that what some may see as slightly faded others may find character that adds to the charm.

I am glad to hear that you are now fans of the hotel. I truly hope that we will welcome you back to the lake in the near future.

Anthony Rosser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!