“Lovely views lovely staff, but check your bookings before you leave home!”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
west yorks
“Lovely views lovely staff, but check your bookings before you leave home!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We are 3rd time returning visitors in as many years. Always as you walk through the door do your worries leave your head and you relax and chill, but unfortunately this time we had booked 2 rooms, one for myself and husband and one for my friend and her husband. But unfortunately there was only ours booked on system this made me feel awful and the fact we booked identical rooms our friends were accommodated but in a lower grade room it clearly was smaller i.e. the room itself the bathroom and bed so was very obvious it was not what they were expecting. There was no apology or offer of another room the reception staff would have known it wasn't satisfactory as ours was far more superior.
Otherwise the food, restaurant staff and the staff at the tavern were all very nice. We still had a nice break weather was lovely too, but every time we went to our rooms I felt awful that somehow the original booking was lost and our friends were not in a room they should have had.
I even put my phone on speaker on booking and my husband heard the booking as I asked the receptionist to repeat our booking details. Very disappointing service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am disappointed to hear of a mix up with your bookings and can only offer my apologies. I have discussed this with the reservation team to establish how we may prevent it from happening again.

I am glad that the rest of your stay was lovely and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the lake sometime soon.

Anthony Rosser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
Abersoch
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

Arrived in a cloudburst ...staff on hand with an extra large umbrella ...

Reception staff slightly naive and lacking ,I felt, suitable guest knowledge

However the room was fabulous with lovely lake views..

Well equipped and extremely quiet .

The dinner was good....superb service ...the fish was over cooked ...

I felt this is all round an excellent if slightly " tired" hotel...needs some paintwork / new carpets ..

This is no way diminishes the experience of being in an older style hotel with lots of history ...

If you want a hotel on the side of a motorway this isn't for you ....

Finally the breakfast was in every way - excellent - fresh

The hallmark of this hotel is " service "

I would return and soon

Not to be missed

C

Room Tip: New wing near the lift
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased that you would consider service to be the hallmark of the hotel, we have a wonderful set of staff here who take great pride in the service they offer to our guests.

I am glad that you will return to stay here soon, we look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth visit to Lake Vyrnwy and it was a lovely relaxing break as always. Our lovely room over looked the gardens and was clean and comfortable with a bath and separate shower and plenty big enough for a third bed for our son. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the tavern is super, fresh,home cooked and in large portions, even the children's ones. There are no chicken nuggets or turkey dinosaurs just smaller portions off the adult menu. The restaurant food is fabulous, we couldn't fault a thing and we had a lovely bottle of Welsh elderflower and apple wine all with that beautiful view. We will be returning for a fifth visit.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your fourth stay with us. I am delighted that you had a relaxing break and your praise of your room, the staff and the food is great to read. We made a decision a while back to offer an adapted version of our main menu to young adults and children with proper food made from high quality ingredients and so I am pleased to read that you appreciated this choice.

I am glad that you will be returning for a fifth visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Goole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I spent Sunday-Monday at the Lake Vyrnwy as part of a large group celebrating a wedding here last weekend that practically took over the hotel. To describe it as 'off the beaten track' is the understatement of the decade. 90 minutes from Aberwystwith and the sort of place you wouldn't find if you didn't go looking for it. Good luck locating it without a sat-nav......but DO go looking for it. Our large double room with huge windows and a private balcony overlooking one of the best views over forest and water in Britain (if not even further afield) that I've ever seen was majestic. It's even better in the flesh than it looks on the photographs that have been posted and that's hard to believe! This place plays to its strengths and when it has strengths like this who can blame it? We only stayed for the breakfast the morning after but that was very good and they know how to put on a spread for a wedding reception. My particular dietary requirements (no strawberries or full fat, full cream dairy products) were catered for beautifully. The reception on the lawn after the service was fabulous and the evening function was first class. What drinks you can't get from the hotel bar you should find at the pub attached. Hospitality is laid on with a trowel and I simply don't understand some of the less favourable comments that people have posted on this site. Is it the cheapest place to stay? No! Is it perfect? It's close enough?

Room Tip: Splash out on a view of the lake. Room 31 is stunning!
1 Thank Tezza185
Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we take great pleasure in hosting weddings and I am glad that you had such a fantastic time. Although the hotel could be considered to be hard to find, the secluded location allows for total relaxation and tranquillity. I will pass your kind words onto our staff, as praise like this is much appreciated and great to receive. I am delighted that you would consider the hotel to be close to perfect, I hope that you will one day return to the lake.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Wow.

What to say?!

Stayed via Living Social with an upgrade here for one night, and our only regret is that it wasn't more.

Where to start...

FIrstly, the hotel itself was incredibly nice. Our room was stunning (barring an unfortunate stain on the sheets, but it says a lot that when we spotted it, we weren't fazed because of everything else). We had a four-poster bed (creaky but huge), and a lovely spacious room. the bathroom was nice and well appointed (nice shower, amazing bath which did go unused, admittedly). We also had a lovely balcony (more on which later).

The breakfast was gorgeous (amazing eggs) in the dining room where the view was exquisite.

It wasn't cheap, but in terms of what we got, it didn't feel over-priced at all.

My girlfriend fell in love with the tiny toy dog (frankly, the hotel was fortunate that he didn't "go missing" during our stay).

We had gone for my girlfriend's birthday, and it was nice to receive a little postcard acknowledging that (my plot for a bottle of bubbly was evidently foiled!).

We also ate in the restaurant in the evening, where we were lucky enough to get a window seat, so were once more astonished by the views. The service was good, if nothing amazing, and the food was excellent throughout (admittedly, having amuse bouches and prosecco on the balcony whilst choosing our food was pretty amazing). The staff weren't intrusive, the food was tasty, well-cooked, and plentiful. If staying at the hotel, eating there is an easy choice (tbh, i'm not 100% sure where else you would go, and I know that my opinion was swayed to some extent by our seating, so bear that in mind).

Back to the hotel...

On the downside, as mentioned, there was a stain on the sheets (found late, and thus not really something they could have done about once we found it). And the room was AMAZINGLY hot (we slept with the windows and doors to the verandah open, it was so hot).

On the upside? Well, i haven't mentioned it yet, but OH MY GOD. The views are just beyond anything that I can reasonably describe. My girlfriend and I have been to several lovely hotels recently, but this was a whole new level (I did okay on this one!). After she'd spent five minutes leaping onto the bed and exclaiming how amazing it was, she spent the next 2-3 hrs commenting on how beautiful the view was, and frankly, she couldn't have been more right.

The most singularly beautiful place I've ever had the pleasure of seeing with one exception (admittedly, it's a limited list), it was worth whatever the price would have been. Sat on the balcony, overlooking the length of the lake/valley, as the sun falls behind the mountains - idyllic, peaceful, beautiful, breath-taking.

Just go, honestly. It's one of the few places that had it been snowing, or even raining, it would have retained it's beauty as well as in the beautiful sunshine (my gf's one complaint was that we didn't get a thunderstorm overnight to light it up for us, and she was right, that would have been spectacular).

3 Thank James A
Llanfairfechan, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here this week for a three night stay in a Premier Lakeview room.
Good points.....the room was lovely and the housekeeping staff and waiting on staff were always pleasant. It is definitely the location and views that sell this establishment.

However we were disappointed by a number of issues.

Firstly, as vegetarians the breakfast was majorly scaled down version of the 'Welsh breakfast'. On the second day the Vegetarian breakfast arrived with no veggie sausage ( this was the only meat substitute, the welsh breakfasts offered bacon, sausage and black pudding!)

When this was questioned they said they had run out of veggie sausages!!!!! Baffles me how you can run out of a frozen item! ( Menu also said Quorn sausages but they were in fact Linda McCartney sausages).

Secondly we had evening meal one night in the Tavern Bar, the food was extremely poor. We then went into the Lounge Bar, which was full of Hotel staff and no guests and felt like a staff room rather than a guests Bar? Not sure that this is appropriate personally.

We ordered a packed lunch for a day out to Centre for Alternative Technology.....very poor sandwiches that you would expect from a value store only, we ordered two pears for the fruit option and got and apple and an orange, two diet cokes and received two cherry cokes!

The main building is tired looking and not particularly well cleaned ( one of the glass uplights was filled with dead flies)

Its a real pity the finer detail and food let down what could be a beautiful hotel.

We decided to try Lake Vyrnwy as an alternative to Portmeirion.....give us Portmeirion every time.

Room Tip: I would only recommend you stay in a Lakeview room as others had no view as such.
4 Thank ifidlewild
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

nice hotel with old fashioned standards everyone very helpful and friendly a member of staff comes around in the evening to see if you need anything ,lovely touches ,nice food,hope to go back soon.when we stayed it was unusually hot but the staff managed to find us a fan over night.

Room Tip: when we stayed the weather was unusually hot wish we had brought a fan from home,also don't for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
Pen-y-Dyffryn Country Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
Cain Valley Hotel
#1 of 1 in Llanfyllin

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!