“Stunning views, remote and peaceful with excellent food.”

Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Llanwddyn
Hay-on-Wye, United Kingdom
“Stunning views, remote and peaceful with excellent food.”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We stayed here for a couple of nights last month. This place is very remote, the best point of the hotel is definitely the views of the lake. Absolutely stunning!!
Food in the restaurant is excellent although I found it really strange that you could not book a table overlooking the lake as they said that would not be fair to other guests and it is first come, first served!! I also felt when being told this that I was the naughty pupil being scolded by a strict teacher.
Throughout the hotel I thought the décor needed some TLC and updating.
We paid extra to be upgraded to their best rooms which was above the Spa. I do not recommend these rooms as they are simply too hot. The first night, the balcony door was left open but I still could not sleep. The 2nd night we asked for a fan but this still was not sufficient to reduce the temperature. That said, the bed was large and very comfortable. In all fairness when I mentioned this to reception, the cost of the upgrade was removed. Surely it would be better to install some air-conditioning in these rooms.

Room Tip: in hot weather, beware of rooms above the Spa.
2 Thank dawncardiff1
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time here, I am delighted that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant. I can only apologise that your room was too hot. The fine weather we had during your stay was a lot hotter than usual. We have considered installing an air conditioning system in the past but unfortunately it would be very expensive and not something we can justify when it would only be needed for select days of the year. I hope that you will return to the lake, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Anthony Rosser

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (618)
Bedford UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had been planning to stay here for some time so expectations were quite high, especially after looking at the web-site and of course we booked a lake view room. As we approached our room down the 2nd floor corridor we already had misgivings as the hotel smelled musty and the paintwork & fittings looked tired. Our room was pokey and without the view would have been unacceptable in a 4 star hotel. We booked a table in the Tavern Bar for the evening but when we got there we were shocked to find it resembled & felt like a 1970's pub on a council estate. We were able to use the restaurant in the main hotel & this was very good, especially looking out at the sunset over the lake. Staff were very good at all times but this is a hotel in need of a thorough revamp which is relying too much on the one feature that stands out namely the view.

Room Tip: Choose 1st floor in modern part
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeolive
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay here, I am disappointed to hear that we did not meet your expectations. I must assure you that renovation and updating is an ongoing task of ours however we do thrive to ensure that the décor is in keeping with the history of the hotel. I do feel that it is true that you cannot please everyone; what some may see as faded others may see as charm. Your comments on our Tavern Bar have made me question whether you came into the bar but not into the brasserie. Although our Tavern Bar is essentially a pub our Tavern Bar is decorated and furnished to a modern taste having been refurbished in 2012. The idea that it resembles a 1970’s pub on a council estate is a very harsh statement. This aside, I am delighted that you enjoyed dining in our restaurant and that the service was good at all times. The location and view is a strong selling point for our hotel but I strongly believe that we have a lot more to offer than just the view.

midlands
Reviewed 4 August 2014

this is the second time we have stayed here in a lake view room with balcony in the new part of the hotel (I think there are only 3 of these superior rooms). Very hot in the corridor of the new part of the building but once in the room you can fling open the door and window. We left them open all night. Worth the extra money if you are a light sleeper like me as really peaceful on both of our visits. Comfy bed, hairdryer, tea making facilities, ironing board, etc. Our border collie stayed in the complimentary kennels at the top of the drive in the evening and was glad of the rest and nice and cool for her. Lovely meal in the restaurant on the evening and nice welsh breakfast. Only one small snag - drain smell when sitting outside of the tavern bar. Hopefully they will get this sorted.

Room Tip: stayed in room 53 last year and 54 this, both with balcony overlooking lake, nice and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to pen a review of your second visit to stay here. I am delighted that you were pleased with your room, we are lucky that because of our scenic location all of our rooms are peaceful and perfect for a good night’s sleep. I am glad that you enjoyed both your evening meal and breakfast. Regarding your comments of a drain smell outside our Tavern bar, I have been around the building and cannot find a drain that is giving off a smell so it seems unfortunate that there was a smell when you were staying and I offer my apologies for this. I hope that you will return to the lake for a third visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Kind Regards,

west yorks
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We are 3rd time returning visitors in as many years. Always as you walk through the door do your worries leave your head and you relax and chill, but unfortunately this time we had booked 2 rooms, one for myself and husband and one for my friend and her husband. But unfortunately there was only ours booked on system this made me feel awful and the fact we booked identical rooms our friends were accommodated but in a lower grade room it clearly was smaller i.e. the room itself the bathroom and bed so was very obvious it was not what they were expecting. There was no apology or offer of another room the reception staff would have known it wasn't satisfactory as ours was far more superior.
Otherwise the food, restaurant staff and the staff at the tavern were all very nice. We still had a nice break weather was lovely too, but every time we went to our rooms I felt awful that somehow the original booking was lost and our friends were not in a room they should have had.
I even put my phone on speaker on booking and my husband heard the booking as I asked the receptionist to repeat our booking details. Very disappointing service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am disappointed to hear of a mix up with your bookings and can only offer my apologies. I have discussed this with the reservation team to establish how we may prevent it from happening again.

I am glad that the rest of your stay was lovely and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the lake sometime soon.

Abersoch
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Arrived in a cloudburst ...staff on hand with an extra large umbrella ...

Reception staff slightly naive and lacking ,I felt, suitable guest knowledge

However the room was fabulous with lovely lake views..

Well equipped and extremely quiet .

The dinner was good....superb service ...the fish was over cooked ...

I felt this is all round an excellent if slightly " tired" hotel...needs some paintwork / new carpets ..

This is no way diminishes the experience of being in an older style hotel with lots of history ...

If you want a hotel on the side of a motorway this isn't for you ....

Finally the breakfast was in every way - excellent - fresh

The hallmark of this hotel is " service "

I would return and soon

Not to be missed

C

Room Tip: New wing near the lift
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
lakevyrnwy, General Manager at Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am pleased that you would consider service to be the hallmark of the hotel, we have a wonderful set of staff here who take great pride in the service they offer to our guests.

I am glad that you will return to stay here soon, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

This was our fourth visit to Lake Vyrnwy and it was a lovely relaxing break as always. Our lovely room over looked the gardens and was clean and comfortable with a bath and separate shower and plenty big enough for a third bed for our son. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The food in the tavern is super, fresh,home cooked and in large portions, even the children's ones. There are no chicken nuggets or turkey dinosaurs just smaller portions off the adult menu. The restaurant food is fabulous, we couldn't fault a thing and we had a lovely bottle of Welsh elderflower and apple wine all with that beautiful view. We will be returning for a fifth visit.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your fourth stay with us. I am delighted that you had a relaxing break and your praise of your room, the staff and the food is great to read. We made a decision a while back to offer an adapted version of our main menu to young adults and children with proper food made from high quality ingredients and so I am pleased to read that you appreciated this choice.

I am glad that you will be returning for a fifth visit, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I spent Sunday-Monday at the Lake Vyrnwy as part of a large group celebrating a wedding here last weekend that practically took over the hotel. To describe it as 'off the beaten track' is the understatement of the decade. 90 minutes from Aberwystwith and the sort of place you wouldn't find if you didn't go looking for it. Good luck locating it without a sat-nav......but DO go looking for it. Our large double room with huge windows and a private balcony overlooking one of the best views over forest and water in Britain (if not even further afield) that I've ever seen was majestic. It's even better in the flesh than it looks on the photographs that have been posted and that's hard to believe! This place plays to its strengths and when it has strengths like this who can blame it? We only stayed for the breakfast the morning after but that was very good and they know how to put on a spread for a wedding reception. My particular dietary requirements (no strawberries or full fat, full cream dairy products) were catered for beautifully. The reception on the lawn after the service was fabulous and the evening function was first class. What drinks you can't get from the hotel bar you should find at the pub attached. Hospitality is laid on with a trowel and I simply don't understand some of the less favourable comments that people have posted on this site. Is it the cheapest place to stay? No! Is it perfect? It's close enough?

Room Tip: Splash out on a view of the lake. Room 31 is stunning!
1 Thank Tezza185
Thank you for taking the time to write a review; we take great pleasure in hosting weddings and I am glad that you had such a fantastic time. Although the hotel could be considered to be hard to find, the secluded location allows for total relaxation and tranquillity. I will pass your kind words onto our staff, as praise like this is much appreciated and great to receive. I am delighted that you would consider the hotel to be close to perfect, I hope that you will one day return to the lake.

Anthony Rosser
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanwddyn
Pale Hall Hotel
#1 of 2 in Llanarmon DC
Plas Yn Dre
Plas Yn Dre
#1 of 2 in Bala

Been to Lake Vyrnwy Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!