“Great Cosy place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of White Lion Hotel

and 1 more site!
White Lion Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Machynlleth
Dublin
“Great Cosy place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Great friendly staff,A great hot Curry with gorgeous chips.
The Ale was beautiful.
A lovely warm cosy place to stay in.
One of the nicest friendly places I ever stayed in.
Near to every thing in the Town.
Breakfast was one of the best,lots of everything.

Room Tip: Room 6, great for a quiet night sleep.
Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chepstow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Stayed one night in October. At £70 for a double B&B it was more than I've paid elsewhere. The hotel has recently been taken over by a new landlord/landlady both of whom were very friendly and obviously wanted to make us comfortable. Check in was quick and easy and we were directed to our room on the 2nd floor (no lift but it is a very old building). The room looked a bit tatty. The radiator, which had no means of controlling the temperature was on full at 6pm and, as the room was fairly small, the heat was overwhelming. The room had two adjoining electric points one of which had an extension lead attached to provide power to the only bedside lamp. Tiny space between one side of the bed and the wardrobe. The only mirror was in the shower room and, as the electric points were at the other side of the room, it would have required an industrial length extension lead for a hairdryer to reach. The bathroom was clean although the shower door was difficult to keep shut! Also the shower was weak.
We caught up with the landlady and mentioned the heating and lack of a mirror. To be fair she immediately tracked down a small mirror and said she'd get someone to look at the heating.
We got back to find the heating off (understandably as the system was probably on a timer).
We had a good night's sleep (we'd both had a very long day) although the bed sheet looked worn and dingy - I think it was clean.
Breakfast was, to be honest, average. My "full English" was OK but my husband's poached egg was overcooked. Only white toast was provided with no alternative offered.
When we went to pay it turned out that the change of ownership meant that they couldn't accept credit cards and we ended up paying by cash (the landlady suggested we could go to a nearby cashpoint). She apologised profusely, explaining that it was to do with the recent change of ownership but it was a bit disconcerting. The landlady told us that they were shortly starting a major refurbishment programme - it's definitely needed. As I said everyone was friendly and I'm sure that refurbishment will help but there were some basic faults which the new owners should have dealt with. I wish them well although, if I have to visit this neck of the woods again, I'll probably stay elsewhere. The main good points are: parking at the back of the hotel and a central location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Nice old pub in great location. Room quite tatty, this was down to the bedding which was ragged and the furniture which was dated and tatty. The room itself was of a good size and it seemed to have been recently painted, also had newish carpets and a new bathroom suite. Seemed clean enough, just did not get a nice feeling when in the room. New bed and furniture would make this a reasonable b&b. £70 a night is overpriced for the room, I have payed less and stayed in better accommodation elsewhere. TV was also extremely small.
Plus points - staff were excellent, evening meal was great and the breakfast one of the best I have ever had.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
essex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Having been to the White Lion hotel many times, although not for the past 18 months, we have always had a good meal, on Sunday 27th during a visit to Mid Wales, we stopped off and had a roast dinner, it was hot, the vegetables were fresh and there was a lot of it. On Tuesday 29th May 2012, we couldn't get in to the Skinners Arms opposite, so we went back into the White Lion, we were the only customers eating in the restaurant part, Now I know why, I ordered a lasagne and my husband ordered an all day breakfast with a portion of £2.75 chips extra. When we were served our meals, the lasgne was black around the edges of the dish, looking like it had been warmed up more than once, the topping was stodgy, in fact it was like wallpaper paste, and when I did find the meat at the bottom, it was tasteless, with a polystyrene texture, dry beyond belief, and the bit of pasta I did see, was green, hopefully it was supposed to be that colour. The all day breakfast was as bad, the mushrooms were like rubber, dry and tasteless, the fried bread, was like it had been fried the previous week and re-heated. The chips on both meals were obviously warmed up from the previous day, we were unable to eat them, I did think about complaining, in fact I wish I had, but nobody came to collect the plates or ask if everything was ok. so we just walked out never to return again. A very dissappointing meal, in fact what small bit we did eat we were tasting all night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Machynlleth hotels

Wales
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Excellent parking facilities at rear of this establishment and it is centrally located in the town.Check in was perfunctory.We were paying £70.00 per night for B&B which is average.We went to our room and were greatly disappointed.Cobwebs high up on the ceiling.Only room for one bedside table with a lamp on.Marks on the carpet and awful thin,lumpy pillows.The bedding and towels however were spotlessly clean and the bathroom had been refurbished.The outside of the Hotel needs major repair and re-decorating as there are damp issues affecting the inside walls with lots of wallpaper lifting away.Also in the bathroom some of the paintwork hadn't been completed.The bed creaked and groaned every time we turned over,so much so,that it woke me several times each night.Not conducive to a restful break.The breakfasts were fine and freshly cooked and the waiting on staff were clean and tidy and tried their best at all times.Housekeeping we are sure does their very best every day,and our room was cleaned as best it could be.It gives us no pleasure writing this revue,as we had hoped to be able to be more praising.We have stayed in many B&B's charging the same rate per night all over the UK and facilities were always much better than here.We hope that major renovation work is able to be undertaken soon as this is a lovely old building in a wonderfully historic town and deserves to be full of happy and satisfied B&Bers at all times.

Room Tip: When booking ask to be put in the BEST room of your desired type.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Warrington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

At short notice, a colleague and I found ourselves working (for a major utilities co.) in the Mach area without time to fully plan overnight stays. I didn't check on Trip Ad before booking at the White Lion, and i'm glad - I'm not sure what those who left negative comments were expecting for between £25 - £35 pr/prsn but what I need when staying away from home is a warm room, a clean shower, a comfy bed, wholesome food, and pleasant helpful staff, happy to accommodate our flexible dining needs ... and I got all of these! Sure, it wasn't five star luxury and silver service, but then neither was the price ..... The main street location meant there was some traffic noise after 6:30am, but like the town clock chimes, it wasn't intrusive enough to disturb our sleep. I think it speaks volumes that we ended up staying there on 4 separate occasions over a fortnight, and have recommended it to colleagues in need of somewhere to stay if working near Machynlleth.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Peter H
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

Stayed here recently for one night. Staff were friendly though did not go out of their way to look after the hotel guests. Food was good value. Rooms were tired and in desperate need of a refurb. Though rooms were clean and the bed was comfy I wouldn't rush to stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machynlleth
Wynnstay Hotel
#1 of 4 in Barmouth
Brigands Inn
Brigands Inn
#1 of 13 in Machynlleth

Been to White Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!