“Worth a detour”

Ranked #3 of 28 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Welsh
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Reading, United Kingdom
“Worth a detour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

It really is worth a detour to eat at this pub.This is a lovely old fashioned pub with low ceilings. beams and a log fire. There is an extensive menu with an excellent choice. The food was delicious with generous portions, all being reasonably priced. The staff were friendly and attentive, even although they were busy and it was only Tuesday lunchtime.

• Visited September 2013

“A Hidden Gem - Bring Your Appetite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013

What a delightful Inn, full of character, if you were asked to describe a perfect, cosey country pub steeped in history this would be it.

The food was delicious and plentiful, after a day cycling around the Cambrian Coast the Mega Burger really hit the spot!

Service was excellent and personable - I can't wait to come back!

Bridgend
“Full of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to try this place for food after reading such good reviews on here and we were certainly not disappointed. My boyfriend was here for a bike race and this was a perfect place to fuel up.

I had the Swordfish which was a special, it was beautiful, light and full of flavour. My boyfriend had the Black Lion Meg Beef Burger, it looked fantastic and he thoroughly enjoyed.

We were very lucky to get a table as we hadn't booked and it was busy, thankfully there was only the two of us and there were two tables for two left. The staff were very friendly, helpful and polite and the building is stunning, full of character with a fantastic fire place which I can imagine is lovely and cosy in the winter.

If we're in the area again I am sure we will return.

• Visited August 2013
Newmarket, United Kingdom
“16th century pub/ restaurant with 21st century menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

This lovely old 16th century pub/ restaurant is a real gem. The pub has low ceilings, thick walls and beams and a marvellous fire-place/ ingle nook. It retains it's historical charm. The menu surprised us as it was very complete and up to the minute with wide options. I had a sirloin steak ( medium-rare) and my wife chose a plaice. Both cooked to perfection and with top quality ingredients. Staff were unfailingly helpful and welcoming.

Thanks and we'll be back.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank steve2295
Aberystwyth
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

My family have eaten here many times and it is consistently excellent. It is a tiny very old traditional old Pub. Wonderful. Never been disappointed.

1 Thank Bontgoch