“Ruby Wedding celebrations”
Review of Glandyfi Castle

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Machynlleth
Glandyfi Castle
Ranked #1 of 11 Machynlleth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We stayed at Glandyfi Castle for two nights in the Skylark Room. The room was kitted out with hot drink making facilities and chocolates. The bed was large and comfortable. The en-suite had a large walk in shower with jets that you could spray on your back and Clarins miniatures in case you had forgotten anything. A kiddi-bed had been made up to accommodate our 3year old.

The venue itself is spectacular. Several reception rooms of different sizes that suited if there were just a few of you, or the whole 18 that were in our party. Log fires were tended to to ensure our comfort.

The staff, particularly Maureen and Peter, the hosts, could not have been more accommodating. I took a cake for the celebrations and they happily stored it safely until our second evening.

The food was faultless. Both evening meals were cooked perfectly to the individual's preference. The breakfast was truly the nicest I have had at any venue, with a wide variety of cereals, yogurts, croissants and cooked breakfasts. The fruit salad was beautiful, and I can highly recommend Maureen's scrambled eggs! Meals were prepared earlier meals for the three small ones in our party that enabled the adults to enjoy our evening celebrations without worrying.

The wine cellar had a good selection and we were waited on throughout the day for all our refreshment needs.

The grounds were well tended to and the setting is beautiful with good opportunities to go for walks or take a short drive to local towns or the beach.

My husband and I would definitely go back for a truly luxurious experience.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Genevieve F

Reviewed 14 January 2014

We stayed for two nights in January 2014 for a Ruby Wedding celebration with friends and family. All 18 of us were made very welcome upon arrival including the three little girls that were with us, having afternoon tea in the drawing room to start off with. Nothing appeared to be a problem for the hosts Peter and Maureen. We would meet for per-dinner drinks in one of the drawing rooms deciding on which wine we would try tonight before going into dinner in the courtyard room. A covered courtyard (glass ceiling) and heated floor was the perfect room for our celebrations. We had a choice of starter and dessert both evenings with the main course chosen by the family and all food was served promptly and together, quite a feat considering the second evening was fillet mignon and cooked exactly how we all wanted it. Breakfast was tasty with virtually anything you wanted you could have and again cooked fresh to order with warm crossaints delivered to the table while you waited. Oodles of toast, cereal, yoghurts (various flavours) preserves (homemade by Maureen), fresh fruit salad (you just knew someone was peeling the apples at 6am for our breakfast - this was the feeling throughout, nothing was too much trouble) fruit juices, coffee and tea on tap. We dressed up in medievil costumes for the second night and all the staff joined in on the theme, ensuring the courtyard room was also dressed for the occassion - nothing was a problem. The bedrooms were a good size with excellent views of the estuary and surrounding hillside, most ensuite. There were real china teacups/teapots in my room with what looked like a vintage sweetie jar filled with chocolates hmmmmm. Beds were comfy and rooms beautifully decorated. The fires were well tended to throughtout the castle and were never allowed to go out (Peter saw to that). Considering this IS a Castle I was never cold and felt homely throughout. If you are looking for fault you would be hard pressed to find one .....ok I didn't like walking on the gravel car park in my heels sheesh some people hard to please! This was truly an experience that cannot be matched, not only because of the people we shared the castle with the family and friends (as they were the reason we were there in the first place the thought and considreration they put into their weekend) but without the care, attention to detail and hard working hosts and staff it would not have been the success it was, marvellous.

Room Tip: All rooms were fab but Osprey was the business
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dawnycam
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I think trying to plan something special for a 40th wedding anniversary can be a bit daunting, that is if you haven't come across somewhere like Glandyfi Castle.
We were a group of fifteen adults and three little princesses of 3years, 4years and 7years in ages.
Little beds were put up to accommodate the girls, and evening meals set at an earlier time, they had their own little table, and their own colourful bowls and tons of juice, plus food to suit their tastes, job done, no hassle ,little ones fed , happy girls happy mums and dads.
Log fires were burning in the library and drawing rooms, Peter kept them going and the Castle is homely, comfortable, welcoming and warm.
The bedrooms are exquisite, comfortable beds, beautiful decor, brilliant bathrooms . There are teapots in the rooms, china cups, and a good selection of teas and coffees, and sweeties, chocolates that is, just some lovely touches that go such a long way to make somewhere like Glandyfi really special.
On the afternoon we arrived we had afternoon tea in the dining room, with its wood panelling and a table full of scones topped with cream and jam, light as a feather mince pies and teas and coffee all laid out and welcoming in a way that made you feel you were at home. My family and friends now beginning to realise that we really were somewhere very special, giving me knowing glances that said WOW, but not saying anything, lots of hugs and kisses, and in my heart I knew my anniversary was going to be even better than I could even have imagined, this was only the beginning, how lucky am I so far so good.

Pre dinner drinks in the drawing room, then through to the courtyard room for our evening meal. Everyone all relaxed, and ready to eat. The courtyard with its underfloor heating and glass roof is the perfect place to entertain our family and friends, and what a grand room !!! Candles lit the place, on the tables and dotted around the place, the atmosphere was beautiful, inviting, and now I was really really happy that I had booked Glandyfi everything just felt right, do you know what I mean? Anyway we were having a three course meal, the main was lamb shanks, and i swear I have never seen any as big as the ones we had that night. Maureen told us all the meat was sourced locally, and they were DELICIOUS, the meat just fell off the bone, there was loads of vegetables, and everything was hot, including the plates. Needless to say it was a great success , we retired to the drawing room after our meal for our coffees and after dinner mints. We sat and chatted in a lovely warm atmosphere, drinking our coffees and gradually sinking further and further into the sofas as the evening wore on, then unanimous vote off to bed as we were all exhausted after eating , drinking and enjoying ourselves, what a good way to end the day, happy.

Breakfast, just think about everything you would want and there you have it, all cooked beautifully, lots of toast, tea and coffee, all laid out beautifully in the courtyard. Nothing was too much trouble here, the staff were wonderful, Peter and Maureen were the perfect hosts , they were on hand if you needed them but also left us all to get on with enjoying their home, and we did, we all did.

Our group went out walking, and exploring the surrounding area, the gardens are lovely we took the girls out for a walk complete with wellies and of course sticks to poke things at along the way. The girls were quite happy to chill out in the drawing room watching a DVD for the rest if the afternoon, while Peter kept us going with drinks, and and loading the fires with logs.

On our second evening we all dressed up In Medieval costume, Peter and Maureen and the staff did as well, the courtyard was decorated in a Medieval manner, it all looked brilliant. We had such fun, the mood was set. We had fillet steak for our mains, every person had their steak cooked exactly as asked , they were all perfect, you can't ask for more than that, there were fifteen of us remember, how good is that.
The evening finished with games, dancing and lots of merriment, our time here was going to fast for me, tomorrow we were going home.

As you can gather we really did have not just a good time but a brilliant time at the Castle, the stay exceeded all my expectations, my family and friends were in awe of our stay and the hospitality we received. If I never have another party again in my life I won't care as this party and it's memories will keep me, my family, and my friends going for ever. The girls cried because they didn't want to go home, and because they wanted to take Sidney with them.

Maureen and Peter, and Sidney thank you , thank you thank you.
Elaine And Dave Furlong.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Elaine F
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Julie & I shared the most special day of our lives at this superb venue. Maureen & Peter along with there staff were the perfect hosts for the perfect day. Canapes & Champagne on the lawn was the perfect start to our celebration, then dinner, dancing & more drinking. As forty somethings with a tight group of close friends we celebrated until the small hours & were looked after impeccably well . All of our guests have never stopped talking about their weekend in the welsh castle. Julie & I are eternally grateful to our hosts for making our day perfect, thank you x :) X

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect, catering for value & breath taking views across the Dyfi Estuary
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert C
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The family stayed at the castle for a special event.
I'm local and it was still a fantastic experience for all the family.
Afternoon tea was very much appreciated by everyone - a wonderful range of sandwiches and homemade cakes - a meal in itself! Served with vintage tea service and a wonderful attention to detail ensuring that the occasion was extra special. An old fashioned tea in stunning surroundings.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the food - dinner and breakfast - altogether around a large table in what was in effect a conservatory areas created out of the old castle courtyard.

Bedrooms were well designed and extremely comfortable, each individually designed. We had the best - Osprey with fantastic views and a stunning bathroom. Again attention to detail was a feature.

The best thing about our stay - all the above and :
• location and the views looking over the Dyfi estuary and RSPB Reserve - wonderful weather on Sunday morning so we were able to go up one of the towers for brilliant views - Mid Wales at its very best!
• freedom to use the castle as we were the only guests - so take family or friends and book the 8 rooms and then the castle is for your exclusive use - that went down really well with our guests.
• decor and ambience - encouraged to be relaxed and informal in a grand environment
• last but not least - the hosts - Maureen and Peter- they have done a fantastic job in renovating the castle to create a small and exclusive place to stay. Wonderful service.
Would I like to go back ?– a big yes.

Room Tip: Osprey for that very special occasion
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank nigelfromwales
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We stayed here with a group of friends and everything was perfect- even the weather!
Breakfast was at the time of our choosing and cooked to order and the dinner we had in the castle on the Saturday night was wonderful.

All of our group plan to go back as soon as we can find a free weekend (this place gets booked up, especially at weekends, so book as far in advance as possible if you have a particular date) and one couple in our group have already booked the whole castle for a family celebration weekend. It says it all!
Maureen and Peter are wonderful hosts.

Room Tip: Osprey is wonderful (especially the huge bathroom and incredibly comfortable four-poster bed) but al...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 November 2013

8 couples stayed here for a 60th birthday celebration. Had afternoon tea when we arrived - amazing. Then a wonderful 4 course evening meal with wine. No cooking or washing up or driving home - what more could you ask for. Stayed up until 1.30 am playing Articulate Game in one of the lounges we could use. The owners went to bed and left us to it. The younger ones stayed up until 4am! Up for late breakfast at 10 am followed by a climb up to the turret with the owner to take in the amazing views of the estuary. If the weather was nice it would be fantastic to sit outside. Our bedrooms were all individual and gorgeous with king sized beds. Everyone should find an occasion to rent this place. It is the most unforgettable experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends