“Looking forward to a return visit!”

Dining at the Brigands Inn
Ranked #7 of 33 Restaurants in Machynlleth
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My family and I stopped here last week for a late lunch on out way back North from South Wales via A470. It was second choice over another restaurant that I had spotted. Fortunately for us we made the right choice!! It was a very tasty lunch and reasonably priced. The Inn itself is lovely, mixing old and modern features. Staff were friendly enough and the place is clean. There was also a nice choice on the children's menu, they had fish and chips and chicken bites and chips which were really nice quality (not compressed rubbish) Mum and myself had a very enjoyable lunch and won't hesitate to stop next time we pass through Machynlleth.

1  Thank M-MellyO

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We were travelling home from North Wales to Bristol and rather than slog down the motorway we decided to see a bit more of Wales. We stopped here for a light lunch. The steak sandwich special was mouthwateringly good. My wife had the soup and declared that good also.

Seems like a scenic spot to stay overnight and we plan to return.

1  Thank LuckyeddieBristol
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I ate at the Brigands Inn on sunday 3 August 2014. It's a good menu if a little pricey. It very depends what you are after. If you want cheap pub food then I wouldn't recommend it. However, if you want a nice meal in a good setting its great. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is presented well and was very tasty. I started with seared scallops and a pulled pork and apple fritter, which I enjoyed. The main courses are a bit pricey at £20 plus so I had something off the specials menu, which offered a good and less expensive alternative. Strips of welsh beef in a cracked pepper, creamy sauce with creamed potato and green beans. Very nicely cooked and tasty. I couldn't fault it.

We didnt try any wines but I had a good local beer brewed in Dolgellau called Red Bandit. It was a very nice ruby beer with good flavour. You probably couldnt afford to eat there every night but its well worth a visit.

1  Thank HobgoblinBirmingham
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We called at the Brigands Inn for an evening meal, and how nice it was to see the staff greeting us with a smile and they made us feel welcomed; they were courteous, very efficient and attentive to our needs. The refurbishment and cleanliness is to be commended.
A varied menu - and the important local sourced ingredients.
Service was good. The food was excellent , and delicious.
Overall Catrin, the Chef and the team have worked hard for their 4**** and Rosette.
Highly recommended. Will return.

Nia & Alwyn

Reviewed 21 July 2014

While our visit started well enough, we left slightly disappointed.
The good: the food was very nice and we have no complaint about that at all. They even offered to cook whatever we wanted for our son which was nice.
The not so good: unfortunately despite service starting well, after the main course had been served, it took far too long for everything else to happen. Long wait for the plates to be taken away, long wait to be shown the dessert menu, long wait for the dessert order to be taken, long wait to receive the desserts etc. They were lovely desserts but it took ages to get there which was disappointing.
Also the room we were in, while cosy, felt like we were too close to other diners and didn't have as much "privacy" as you'd want while eating your diner. There was no background music or sound other than people chewing so we felt like we had to whisper to keep our conversation "private". I think it made other diners self conscious as well as they weren't chatting much either.

So overall great food but let down by the ambiance and service.