“Little gem”

Ranked #2 of 13 Presteigne B&B and Inns
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
“Little gem”
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for one night. On arrival we have been shown two different rooms- one modern, one traditional. We have decided to stay in the traditional one as we have preferred that one- not because the other one was not nice , it was stunning too- but my partner and I liked the style of the room. The room was comfy, clean, nice size, and warm. The bathroom needed a bit of TLC but we are not fussy, and it was clean too.
The service was very professional, lovely staff. The deal we've bought included a three course dinner meal, and no word of a lie, we had the BEST rump steak ever!!! We'd recommend this hotel to everyone. Plus there was a lovely tapas bar 50 m away from the hotel too, with brilliant atmosphere.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kinga W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
bristol
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

after been given one night stay at this hotel as a thank you present, i clicked onto the their website and was excited for what i saw. Unfortunately, the reality was much different.
After driving 2+1/2 hours, my boyfriend and I eventually arrived and we were looking forward to a romantic night away.
we had been advised to take the modern outside lodges, so we checked in and headed to out room with the world's biggest piece of patio flooring attached to our room key.
I thought i had been transported back in time and i was in maplins from hidi high, as the outside lodges were no more than garden sheds, but still undeterred we entered the room hoping for something special inside but entered a bleak soulless cold damp room with paint peeling off the walls.
At which stage my boyfriend said "no way I'm sleeping here", it really did feel like we had entered someone's converted shed.
The only upside to this room was that the bathroom looked like it had been recently updated to what i can only describe as a very good standard.
The view form the room was not of a beautiful 16th century manor house, but at the back of the hotel which more resembled a 1960s lunatic asylum. This is not a one person's rant for no reason, as I have posted photos of our view so you can see the room and the view from the room.
As dinner and breakfast were included in our package, we decided to wait and see until dinner to give it a chance, we sat at the hotel's pub and had a beer whilst we contemplated what to do.
We opted to leave back home and not even take dinner, so we headed back home and saved the service to make up the most uncomfortable bed ever created.
I know we should have complained at the time but we were so disappointed after such a long drive the whole hotel looked tired and dated and we couldn't be bothered to have a discussion about it so just cut our losses and left.
This wasn't done lightly as it was a 5 hour round trip.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank notanaveragebritish
Gianni D, Owner at The Radnorshire Arms, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I was utterly disappointed to read your comments about the hotel and your experience here last week. I am even more disappointed that you chose not to raise your concerns with any of the staff at the time.

We take the business of customer service very seriously here at The Radnorshire Arms and my staff are all passionate about offering our guests a top quality experience. If you had taken the time to mention your dissatisfaction with your room you would have been greeted with staff who were prepared to bend over backwards to make you feel comfortable.

As you can see from the review directly above this one, we are happy to show customers a variety of rooms to choose from and we would have been happy to do this for you if you could have taken the time to mention that you weren't happy. We could have offered you a room of totally different character and style which overlooked the garden. Following that, if you still weren't happy we could have offered you a further alternative by showing you our sister hotel in the group that we would happily have moved you over to at no extra cost to ensure you left us satisfied. (our sister hotel, The Knighton has already undergone a full refurbishment and perhaps would have been more to your specific tastes). Sadly, you chose to do nothing, say nothing and then remotely post a negative review about us. I feel your unwillingness to interact with our staff is what caused your trip to be wasted and has left you frustrated and annoyed with your experience. I am equally frustrated and annoyed that you didn't give us the opportunity to deal with your issues privately and professionally.

As regards your other comments. When you have spent over £300.00 replacing keys (and then locks) that guests take home and don't return then action needs to be taken! We are a small business here and every £ that we lose unnecessarily is a big deal to us. We don't have (nor do we want) the big corporate faceless uniformity of large chain hotels nor can we afford a cardkey system. Quirky and original is what we are here and make no apology for that. However, I will certainly agree that the key fobs are unnecessarily large (although I've never seen a patio decorated in such). Having taken over this business in February this year, I have a lot to do to bring the place up to the standard that I want it to be but Rome wasn't built in a day and I am working on things one at a time as funds become available. I have in fact, already got new key fobs being made which will be smaller but still too big to go home with in your pocket.

The room that you were given was indeed in the annexe. Many of our customers prefer these rooms because of their modern style and as you pointed out, the interiors have been completely renovated 1 year ago. As they have been fully insulated I would refute your claims of dampness in the room and I will certainly investigate any peeling paint issues today and have those immediately rectified. Your comments about the rooms being like a shed I do not accept. There are 8 rooms in a straight line with a canopy over the walkway. Because the facia on the rooms is wooden then this dictates to you that they look like sheds. Many hotels have long corridors of rooms all facing each other and all uniformly laid out. This is how many hotels lay out their space, do we then describe them as prisons? I think you have been unfair in your comments about your room although I do agree that your view was not the best view to be had. As I have said many times, if you could have taken the time to talk to us we could have rectified the matter but, and I quote "we couldn't be bothered to have a discussion" then nothing could be done to assist you.

We are, of course, aware that we have a very old building. Some, if not all our rooms in the main house are in need of updating and we have just started this week the process of stripping out all of our bedrooms and bathrooms in the main house to bring them up to a much higher standard as well as new carpets, curtains, fixtures and fittings in all the public rooms. Following this the whole of the outside of the building is being redecorated and brought back to its original glory. We are spending a great deal of money on this refit and I am very confident that we will have an exceptional hotel following the completion of this.

Whilst I am, of course, concerned, disappointed and sorry that you had such a poor experience with us, I can only reiterate that if you could have been "bothered" to speak to us, we could have turned the situation around and given you the pleasant experience that you expected from us.

I would implore any of our guests to speak directly to us about any problems with their stay with us at which point I guarantee that they will be greeted by staff who are both well trained to deal with customers and who are passionate about what they do. By all means, post your comments on Trip Advisor, but please make sure that you speak to us too!

Yours Sincerely

Gianni D'Aniello
Proprietor
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We visited this place twice whilst staying in the area, the first time was just for drinks late in the afternoon. We had our dogs with us and we were all made very welcome. A beautiful roaring fire was just what we needed, all very cozy and warm! So we decided to return the following day for Sunday lunch, we were led into the beautiful dining room where we all decided upon which roast to choose. All of our meals was very nice and plentiful, and the service was excellent. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
south wales
Reviewed 25 February 2014

my husband booked a night here as a surprise. we arrived about 6 in the evening. we were greeted by the owner who quickly took us to our rooms. we were on the top floor but wasnt a problem for us (no lift) our room was huge and very clean and tidy. tea and coffee supplied but also had tins in the hallway which ive not seen before and thought this was a nice touch.The hotel itself is very impressive. steeped in history.
we had a three course meal in the restaurant in a gorgeous panelled room in front of a roaring fire. The food and service was brilliant. the staff could not do enough for us. the bar had a welcoming relaxed atmophere.would definately go back and recommend this hotel to friends and family.thank you for a pleasant night stay

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucyg086
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

A large party of us stayed here recently we had a fantastic time , the rooms were nice and the staff were very helpful .We all had various meals in the evening and these could not be faulted in any way , breakfast was also very nice and the staff could not do enough for us looking forward to going back in a few weeks time.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2014

We have a holiday place in presteigne & have been going to the Radnor for over 20 yrs. For the past few years it has been nothing special (apart from the building) but our recent stay after a year's absence was superb.We took advantage of a Valentines package with b & b and meal. It was so welcoming & comfortable. Awful weather but enjoyed relaxing by the log fire in the bar. The meal was heavenly.....lovely atmosphere in the wood panelled room. Breakfast was tasty & relaxed with yet another open fire in the background. A lovely quiet casual atmosphere with attentive yet unobtrusive service. We loved it.

• Stayed February 2014
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

sixteen of us stayed overnight bed/breakfast/evening meal. we found our room no.10 to be clean and very comfortable, the only fault was all the stairs getting to it, but could not find any fault with the room or indeed the food or hospitality showed by all the staff. we all had various selections off the menu and we all really enjoyed the food which was well presented and plentiful as was the breakfast in the morning.all in all a good time was enjoyed by us all.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Presteigne
Knighton Hotel
The Burton Hotel
The Burton Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kington
The Old Vicarage Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Radnorshire Arms? Share your experiences!