“A Welsh treasure”

Powis Castle and Garden
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Welshpool
More attraction details
Owner description: This medieval castle, originally built as a fortress, houses one of the most beautiful and extensive collections of treasures from India.
Newport, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“A Welsh treasure”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

A stunning terraced garden that is beautifully maintained by the National Trust. Our first visit as a member and certainly won't be the last.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Mary3005

• Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Orange County, CA
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Visit here but don't eat here!”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Castle and gardens were fantastic. Food at the restaurant not fantastic. I think when I go to bed tonite and turn out the lights, I shall see my pasta and a tiny little bit of salmon SMOTHERED with gobs and gobs of yucky pasty white melted cheeze. I shall see it starting at me, and I shall scream! Cost 6.95, so I ate most of it, I'm sorry to say. Only good thing is, it's turned me off junk food, and I shall start my diet TODAY! Do yourself a favor, bring a bag lunch, or at least order something else.

Visited May 2012
Alexandra Headland, Australia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fantastic Powis catle and gardens”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Didn't like the weather but teh rest was fantastic - well worth getting the National trust card and viewing this and the other NT sites around

Visited April 2012
Surrey UK
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Excellent day out”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Weather was a bit dull when we visited but it didn't put a downer on our visit. The gardens were lovely to wander through and the daffodil field was almost in full bloom too. Stopped for a picnic before going around the house and Clive museum etc. Wonderful rooms although you can't take photos anywhere inside due to preservation and family copyright. Guides were very informative with printed info available too.Would recommend this for a day trip for families with quizzes available for the kids too.

Stockport, United Kingdom
553 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 432 helpful votes
“Wonderful garden; magnificent views”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

These wonderful gardens are beautifully tended and an absolute joy to walk around. This is a large terraced garden and there are a number of steep steps, however, there are alternative paths that avoid the steps to reach the lower levels. The views from the upper levels of the garden are magnificent - you can see for miles into the distance. We visited on a sunny day and the gardens were a real suntrap.
The castle was very interesting with many historic items on display. The guides were friendly and informative and were very willing to supplement the information sheets on display in each room. In common with many NT properties photography is not allowed but this is expected when there are many items on display that need to be protected.

Visited April 2012